Non electric, gas cooker

Hi guys, please help me design a gas rice cooker. Currently, they are cook ing rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then transfer t o serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of work. We w ant to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas ste am bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

In electric rice cooker, the content is cooked at high temperature until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The mission, sho uld you accept it, is to build one with gas.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Why not just buy a gas rice cooker like any resturant has?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then transf er to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of work. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

l a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The mission, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

Haven't seen any gas version. Even if there is one, it's probably full siz e. We want to cook single serving, around 1/4 of the 1/9 size container.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

e cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then tran sfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of work. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a g as steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

til a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The missio n, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

ize. We want to cook single serving, around 1/4 of the 1/9 size container.

OK, plenty of gas full size cooker. Will tell them to convert to gas first , then look into single serving option.

Current electric bill is around $1000/month. Electricity is cheap, unless you have to pay for it.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

:

are cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then tr ansfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of wor k. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The miss ion, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

size. We want to cook single serving, around 1/4 of the 1/9 size containe r.

st, then look into single serving option.

s you have to pay for it.

By the way, why don't they make the cooker rectangular, instead of round. Standard containers are rectangular. Round container won't fit in rectangu lar warmer.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

You've never heard of squaring the circle?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Seamless pots and pans can be made by spinning, but deep-forming sheet into rectangular tubs requires large presses and expensive dies. Round is cheaper.

For cooking uniformity, a round container (and perhaps toroidal convection) is better than something with corners.

Reply to
whit3rd

:

te:

y are cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then transfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of w ork. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

e until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The mi ssion, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

if you are boiling water, temperature control should not be an issue. As long as there is water there, the temp will be controlled. If you put more heat in , it boils off faster, less heat, slower. but it is still the same temp.

Reply to
makolber

I always cook my rice in the microwave. Easy to set a temperature profile like that, and good results. But you need a large microwave to cook

20 servings at a time.
Reply to
Rob

te:

ote:

are cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then tr ansfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of wor k. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The miss ion, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

ll size. We want to cook single serving, around 1/4 of the 1/9 size contai ner.

first, then look into single serving option.

less you have to pay for it.

d. Standard containers are rectangular. Round container won't fit in rect angular warmer.

The rect (or square) holds the same amount as the round (circle). So, no, can't square the circle.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

e:

te:

rote:

:

hey are cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, the n transfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of work. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

ure until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The mission, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

is still the same temp.

Will have to experiment it more. Not sure if indirect boiling water will c ook the internal rice/water well enough.

Even warm water (already at lowest setting) dry up the rice if staying too long.

We need something not too hot and not too cold.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then transf er to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of work. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

l a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The mission, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

Direct heating with metal taste better. Try to avoid plastic if possible. Perhaps ceramic. Current plan is 6.7"x6.2"x2.5" stainless steel container .

My idea is a long cooking/serving line (7" x 100') of ball bearings river. Steel balls enter the beginning of line and exits at multiple gated servin g windows. Steel containers float on top of the bearings, and passing thro ugh natural gas volcanoes (burners) near the beg. and inductive warmers nea r the end. Rice and water are injected in at the beg and other toppings ne ar the end. Finished meal are removed from gated windows/openings near the end of line.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

e cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then tran sfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of work. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a g as steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

til a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The missio n, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

ile

. Perhaps ceramic. Current plan is 6.7"x6.2"x2.5" stainless steel contain er.

. Steel balls enter the beginning of line and exits at multiple gated serv ing windows. Steel containers float on top of the bearings, and passing th rough natural gas volcanoes (burners) near the beg. and inductive warmers n ear the end. Rice and water are injected in at the beg and other toppings near the end. Finished meal are removed from gated windows/openings near t he end of line.

By the way, the gas volcanoes need to be timed, based on motion through the line. I guess, for Tim, that's integrating the heat through time.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I cook my rice in a glass bowl. Advantage of the microwave is that the heat does not transfer through contact with the bowl, so there is no chance of burning or sticking. Once the water boils (which is after a fixed time for a certain microwave and a certain quantity of water) I lower the power to keep the water at boiling point. That could be automated if desired.

Reply to
Rob

re cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then tra nsfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of work . We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

ntil a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The missi on, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

file

le. Perhaps ceramic. Current plan is 6.7"x6.2"x2.5" stainless steel conta iner.

Not sure microwave would work with all those steel containers, ball bearing s and tracks around. Perhaps infra-red from the top and induction from the bottom.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

are cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then t ransfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of wo rk. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The mis sion, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

rofile

ible. Perhaps ceramic. Current plan is 6.7"x6.2"x2.5" stainless steel con tainer.

ngs and tracks around. Perhaps infra-red from the top and induction from t he bottom.

Unless we go with glass for everything, but how to make 100' glass track?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

:

ey are cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then transfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of work. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together i n a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

re until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The m ission, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

profile

ok

ssible. Perhaps ceramic. Current plan is 6.7"x6.2"x2.5" stainless steel c ontainer.

he

rings and tracks around. Perhaps infra-red from the top and induction from the bottom.

You need to explain exactly what your purpose is with this. Otherwise we do n't know what direction to go in.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

te:

they are cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, th en transfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot o f work. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) together in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

ture until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The mission, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

re profile

cook

possible. Perhaps ceramic. Current plan is 6.7"x6.2"x2.5" stainless steel container.

the

r a

earings and tracks around. Perhaps infra-red from the top and induction fr om the bottom.

k?

don't know what direction to go in.

Cooking and keeping rice warm for up to an hour. Fast moving during lunch and dinner (30 to 50) and slow moving rest of day. Current plan is to go w ith steel for nat. gas and induction cooking. If we go with microwave, the n the containers, ball bearings and tracks through the microwave oven would have to be glass.

For the tracks, steel is easier to work with than glass.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

rote:

, they are cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container, then transfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's lot of work. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) togeth er in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

rature until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. T he mission, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

ture profile

o cook

f possible. Perhaps ceramic. Current plan is 6.7"x6.2"x2.5" stainless ste el container.

at the

no

ter a

r) I

bearings and tracks around. Perhaps infra-red from the top and induction from the bottom.

ack?

e don't know what direction to go in.

h and dinner (30 to 50) and slow moving rest of day. Current plan is to go with steel for nat. gas and induction cooking. If we go with microwave, t hen the containers, ball bearings and tracks through the microwave oven wou ld have to be glass.

If that were really the purpose you'd just use a large container with 50 se rvings of rice (or 2 with 25 each), heat on medium until boiling then low f or a while. You're considering greatly complicating it. So I ask again what is the purpose? Unless you can tell us it's not going to be very productiv e.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ly, they are cooking rice in electric cooker, transfer to holding container , then transfer to serving containers (1/9 size, around 36 sqin). That's l ot of work. We want to cook 10 to 20 of them (1/9 serving containers) toge ther in a gas steam bath. The problem is controlling the temperature.

perature until a certain point, then very low temperature to keep it warm. The mission, should you accept it, is to build one with gas.

rature profile

to cook

if possible. Perhaps ceramic. Current plan is 6.7"x6.2"x2.5" stainless s teel container.

that the

is no

after a

ter) I

be

ll bearings and tracks around. Perhaps infra-red from the top and inductio n from the bottom.

track?

we don't know what direction to go in.

nch and dinner (30 to 50) and slow moving rest of day. Current plan is to go with steel for nat. gas and induction cooking. If we go with microwave, then the containers, ball bearings and tracks through the microwave oven w ould have to be glass.

servings of rice (or 2 with 25 each), heat on medium until boiling then low for a while. You're considering greatly complicating it. So I ask again wh at is the purpose? Unless you can tell us it's not going to be very product ive.

Yes, cooking the rice, adding toppings (meat & veg) and serving them at the same time. The end of the line goes directly to the delivery truck as wel l. However, customer can pickup near end of the line via the automated win dows/openings.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee