Noiseless mode for hardware.

Hello,

We all want fast computers, fast games, fast software etc.

But sometimes we might want quite computers as well, when working with less intensive software.

So I propose hardware is extended with a noiseless mode.

When the user puts the computer via the software into "noiseless" mode the computer should use minimal resources to become "noiseless".

For example a 5.0 GHZ processor could turn into 1 GHZ processor maybe even

500 GHZ or maybe even slower than that.

Harddisks become slower, everything should become slower, and therefore hopefully more power efficient.

The hardware could even use alternative circuitry printed on a different nano scale to consume less power in "noiseless" mode.

The goal is to bring the PC, back into the 80486 age when cpu's didn't require heatsinks and fans, and the same goes for motherboards, harddisks, memory chips, and graphics cards.

So that fans can be disabled.

To get a totally quite pc !? ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

noise means energy is being wasted.

laptops optimise energy usage etensively to compensate for general poor battery life ( i expect a battery to last 24 hours at least!, doesn't everyone ??)

cpu's do cycle slower, often they just shut down into a "sleep" mode when idle, even for times as short as a few microseconds often as long as

20seconds

2.5 inch hard drives are virtually noiseless also anyway,.try putting those into desktops !

power supplys require fans to compensate for poor design anyway., they can be made better if the market demands it

desktop/rack mother boards are only marginally designed for power savings since they expect to be connected directly to the "GRID" or someother giga amp power resource

green desktops are becoming more available due to power costs

virtual use of internet high speed allows use of simply a monitor and keyboard or mouse, no drives, no fans,nothing other than a link to a server that supplies the user with all resources neeeded.

less

Reply to
HapticZ

You mean like every notebook, sub-notebook, laptop and palmtop computer out there? Merry Christmas whoever you are!

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

  • Including fast women...
** Not going to get quiet women...
** Voicebox modification with remote control??
** Hard drives *WILL NOT* run slower or faster; they do not depend on the CPU clock rate, dummy.
** Not needed; stupid.

** Hard drives then were much less efficent on power drain than now; they weer power hogs compared to what is now available.
*** BTW, the word is spelled "QUIET". But then again, what do you know?
Reply to
Robert Baer

** Check.

** Check.

** Done that; a simple adaptor takes care of the connector size diference as well as the power.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Try

Not cheap but effective. I have fan control at front and usually have all (4) fans on minimum. My graphics cards (2 SLI'd) are 8500GT's Silent (no fans but big heatsink) It can be done!!!

--
John the West Ham fan
housetrained@hotmail.com

You can get almost silent without sacrificing performance or spending a ton of money. Just look for -passively- cooled video cards and motherboards (no fans, larger heatsinks). This won't cost one cent extra, but will require a little research to find the "right" components that match whatever system you want to build (compatibility with other components, etc.) Buy a Seasonic brand power supply (most are practically silent). You should be buying a high-quality name brand power supply anyway, so (unless you are too cheap to build a system the CORRECT way) a Seasonic power supply won't add any extra cost to your system.

Unless you resort to water-cooling (and even then), you will still need -some- additional airflow through the case, and fans can add noise. The exhaust fan(s) of the power supply won't be enough cooling, you'll need at least one fan pulling cool air into the lower part of your case. Choose a nearly silent fan for this, keeping in mind that 2 or 3 QUIET fans will generate less noise than one noisy fan can. In other words, if you find a case fan that is quiet enough, but doesn't push enough air, just get another one or two of them. Change case to accomodate, if necessary. -Dave

Reply to
Dave

"power efficient." "To get a totally quite pc !?" You mean QUIET???? Learn to spell before you learn GREEN, asshole. Another (NOT-Jolly) Green Giant out to waste the world. How long did it take you to think THAT loada shit up??

Reply to
sandy58

Or even a totally /quiet/ PC. Got 2 PC's here, both in Antec P180's, with all the case fans running at

2/3rds speed - you can barely hear either of them, and can't hear them at all when the TV is on. So why would I need to do anything special?

SteveH

Reply to
SteveH

The case is resonating.

It creates a humming sound.

It's the fans that cause the case to slighty resonate and hum.

The humming goes away if I press the case doors against each other or against the casing or whatever.

But after a while the humming returns !

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Why are you telling us this?

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

I'd rather read a post about where to get funny cartoons printed on toilet paper.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Because he *thought* the voices in his head were humming in unison in an effort to resonate and harmonise with each other so as to modulate a single commanding voice whose will he could not hope to resist. Imagine his relief when he discovered it was just that his (casing) screws were slightly loose. ;-)

Reply to
Larry Elmore

On the wild guess that maybe you want to *stop* the humming (since you haven't said), get a "quiet kit" for installing a power supply. It consists of various rubber washers and gaskets.

Also check for the possibility that the humming is from a hard disk rather than from the power supply.

Reply to
mc

You are *supposed* to sing back!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Since not only does he *never* backup, but also does not know *how* to backup, HD relaibility is of no concern (to him).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't want to damage my case by screwing them into to hard, so I don't screw them in hard.

It probably doesn't matter that much.

The case doors have plenty of room to wiggle I think.

Maybe the harddisk power cord is against the door.

But actually I think it's the harddisk fans attached to the otherside case door that could start humming/vibrating.

I pushed against the case door where the fans are located and the humming has stopped all night.

But I bet the humming will be back in a few days or so or maybe even a few minutes or hours it could start again at any moment and it's starting to annoy me that I have to stand up and again tighten the case door where the fans are located.

Maybe I should screw them in a bit harder but I don't wanna do that just in case lol hehehehehehe.

But maybe I will sometime... don't feel like it now and it probably won't matter.

So to make a long story short:

The right side of the case has two fans attached, using 5 volts each and spinning slowly.

The right side of the case is probably not strong enough and steady enough to prevent any humming.

The right side of the case could start to wiggle and produce a humming sound !

Case designers should take that into account and design something that:

  1. Doesn't vibrate.

or

  1. Maybe is very strongely attached to the rest of the case somehow... maybe by an extra clip or something that locks in place.

or

  1. Don't attach any fans to case doors/sides.

Turning harddisk 90 degrees and having side way air flow is a bad and stupid idea anyway.

Airflow must go in at the front and out at the back.

And harddisks must be in line with the case... or alternatively the case should be wider to make some room for cables near the harddisk.. but that's not really the problem.

My conclusion: side fans

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I can't sing so good.

I'll play it a song :)

LOL.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

wild guess... "computer architecture" :)

OP, a bit of masking tape applied where the doors fit should drop the humming down, likewise a couple well placed grommets... of course you haven't said if you actually like the humming or not.

rpl

Reply to
rpl

against

The hum is in SkyDuck's empty head so he needs two full rolls of Duck Tape and a helper to wrap his head with the Duck Tape, till the hum stops.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida