noise lecture

I'm giving my kids a little lecture on noise this afternoon. Here's my outline.

Did I miss anything?

Noise In Electronics Notes

JL Feb 25, 2019

Conductors, atoms, electrons

Johnson/Nyquist noise Ej = sqrt(4KTRB) RMS Power, voltage, current Flat finite spectrum CoE Equivalent thermal conductivity The sky is cold

Shot noise Is = sqrt(2qI) RMS Not in metallic conductors, maybe in cermets/carbon In semi junctions, base currents, photodiode currents Worse in PMTs and APDs PMTs as radar jammers

Excess noise 1/f flicker grain boundaries pentode grid partition tempco driven

Thermal noises Resistor tempco Air flow turbulance Thermoelectrics

Piezo noise, mostly caps

Magnetic loop pickup

Opamps Voltage and current noise PSRR RF rectification

Bipolar transistors Rb

Jfets

CMOS Popcorn noise

Fans Vibration Mag fields E fields from blades power supply ripple

RF Junction rectification Digital logic spikes TV, cell phones Sutro tower Fluorescent lights, motor controllers

PSRR Can be worse than 0 dB Watch DC, too

IC photo sensitivity chip-scale stuff

Ground loops Many goofy theories about grounds and shielding Differential is best

Zeners and noise diodes

Gas discharge devices Noise tubes in magnetic fields Neons in waveguides

Noise figure meters

Noise makes jitter

Spice No noise analysis in time domain Can cheat

PCB layout

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

TIA noise calcs. e_n-Cin noise.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

And AoE!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

an interesting tid bit is theoretically you cannot measure noise with an oscope because if you wait long enough the peak approaches infinity.

The p-p value of random noise is undefined.

might want to talk about crest factor too.

makolber

I only have an hour! I do specify that measurements are RMS.

Most scopes measure RMS these days.

Eyeballing p-p/RMS = 5 is not too bad.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That looks to be a long lecture. If B is bandwidth you are missing a B in the shot noise term.

I tend to separate technical noise, (most of your list) and fundamental noise, shot noise and Johnson noise. Where there is some hope, with better technique, you can reduce the technical noise.

As Win said, in opamps, noise gain vs signal gain.

The big electrostatic interferences I see (freq < ~1MHz) are the florescent lights, my DSO display and brick-on-rope SM power supplies.

George H.

Grounding an shielding seems like a whole 'nother lecture.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh I think mako means Gaussian noise (amplitude ) and white noise (spectrum)

I get white noise from a reversed biased zener.. but it's far from Gaussian.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

However, waiting some multiple of the lifetime of the universe is not generally an experimentally viable procedure.

It is a pretty good heuristic that less than 1 in 200 values is more than 3 sigma from the mean. (assuming gaussian statistics)

Cauchy (Lorentz) distributed noise is an entirely different problem.

It occurs when someone inadvisedly computes a ratio of two small noisy Gaussian random variables such that the result is greater than one. Geologists are inclined to do this with monotonous regularity.

It occurs in spectral line collisional broadening as well.

Depends on the distribution that your random noise is drawn from.

We always used p-p ~ 6sigma as a rough rule of thumb. Assuming Gaussian random noise.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You lie. How do I know this? Because the most you could do in an afternoon lecture with that many topics is read off each type, mention one sentence about each and move on. There is no way to effectively address each of those in an afternoon 'lecture'.

The best you'll do is a mere mention. How droll.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Fox News Noise: a TV set tuned to Fox News makes an excellent source of high entropy wideband uncorrelated random phonemes

Reply to
bitrex

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The reason RMS and p-p does not work with random noise is because random noise is not sinusoidal. And because each pulse rarely lasts longer than a single spike event, so does not have a 'frequency' either.

The things (hardware/processing) that resolve what the RMS value is need more than a single wave pulse event to make the determination.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You might mention something about:

- Noise Figure

- Noise Factor

- Noise Temperature

For RF, perhaps atmospheric and galactic noise: Also mention that most low frequency RF noise comes from about 8 million lightning hits per day: (Check "Detectors" box on the left)

"Any sufficiently advanced communications technology is indistinguishable from noise". (apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

We wish.

There is a high periodicity of those phonemes, period 1hr (and presumably 0.5hrs, I wouldn't know)

Matched filters (e.g. the susceptible audience) easily lock onto the phonemes and dig /a/ signal out of the noise.

There may even be anti-correlation properties with news sources.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It tends to be lopsided, and gets better at higher current. One trick is to use two, at opposite bias polarity, and sum them. Or use many!

What voltage zener are you using?

People sell official noise diodes, for lots of money.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You can measure the RMS of a random noise voltage very accurately. The RF guys do it all the time.

P-P is not well defined.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We have Sutro Tower.

The RF get rectified by everything, especially opamp front-ends.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'll hit the basics and hand out the list. Individuals can meet me later if something especially interests them.

I can cover each topic briefly.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Do you watch TV? I don't. The bandwidth is way too low.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

This should be three or four lectures, 30-45-min each, targeted to one aspect. Otherwise, boring, overload.

You can space them out by a week or two.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That's a great idea for an article in the Journal of Irreproducible Results. "Statistical Properties of Fox Noise"

Could be an Ig Nobel in it for you!

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX