Nice TESLA battery array- 100 M.W. ! - Page 2

Re: Nice TESLA battery array- 100 M.W. !

Ok, that makes sense then. The Soviets tried to do something like that
by using turbines as flywheels while yanking the control rods around on
a reactor with a positive void coefficient, I read it didn't work out
too good...

Re: Nice TESLA battery array- 100 M.W. !
On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 06:57:41 -0400, bitrex

The stupid test was initially required to be performed at the
Leningrad RBMK power plant (now south of St. Petersburg).

Fortunately for the western Europe, the engineers at that site
understood the risks and refused.

The test was then moved to Ukraine with known results :-(

Re: Nice TESLA battery array- 100 M.W. !

I didn't know that part. Shit!

Re: Nice TESLA battery array- 100 M.W. !

With all the stories of Lithium-Ion batteries going up in flames,
doesn't this sound like a disaster waiting to happen?

Re: Nice TESLA battery array- 100 M.W. !

With all the stories of petroleum plants going up in flames, doesn't it
sound like every hydrocarbon storage tank on Earth is a disaster waiting
to happen?

Ohmahgawd they are head for the hills!!!!!

Re: Nice TESLA battery array- 100 M.W. !

I haven't seen any announcement as to the chemistry of the cells that
will be used to build the mega-battery for Australia.  If it's Lithium
Iron Phosphate, you can short the terminals and it won't explode.  The
wires will get hot, but there will not be a thermal runaway initiated
battery fire.  They could supply the NCA (nickel cobalt aluminum
oxide) battery used in the Tesla motor cars.  I believe that the lack
of reports of embarrassing battery fires is a good indication that
they're safe.  However, it's most likely they will use the NMC (nickel
manganese cobalt oxide) which is used by the Tesla Power Wall (and is
cheaper than NCA.  Sorry, but I don't have any info on the relative
safety of NMC batteries.

Re: Nice TESLA battery array- 100 M.W. !
Are the big batteries made out of thousands of AA cells?

Re: Nice TESLA battery array- 100 M.W. !

I think it was quite clear that it is a 100 MW, 127 MWh system.
I.e. it should be able to deliver 100 MW for about an hour.

Site Timeline