nice Mini-ITX box

I heard last night that the current 'EAS' (Emergency Alert System), which replaced the original 'EBS' (Emergency Broadcast System) is to move to the internet.

A radio station engineer I know called to talk last night and was laughing about it. The internet can be the first thing lost in an emergency. The current system is activated by a station in the system, and relayed over the air to control receivers at other stations in the region.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

No, there was a Windows 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, and 3.0 (and likely some lesser versions) before 3.1. They were all shells around DOS, but less so as the number incremented.

Reply to
krw

Win 3.11 was 'Windows For Workgoups'. Win 3.1 didn't support networking.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not out of the box but with some Novell drivers you could use Win3.1 in a network. And if you added winsock drivers you could use it to access the internet as well. I clearly remember using Win3.1 at school for browsing when Netscape still fitted on a 1.4MB floppy and http was just invented.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Most people barely knew enough to use a computer, let alone track down the extra software. The Win 3.11 package did the heavy lifting for them. :)

BTW, I still have a 100 user disk for a Novel server.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

time. I

memory

than

not.

and

offer

"upgrading" to

walk

copy

have

Mathematica.

I would have to find the install package first. If i find it i may try = it out again. If that shows that it has little to offer, i just might.

Reply to
josephkk

Vista).

the

Not discussing that series. NT series versions (high end workstation and server before server was separated out).

Reply to
josephkk

=46ull install? Which version?

Reply to
josephkk

scheduler.

switch for

The PC

in

With all the fine geometry semiconductor based equipment in both and the known vulnerabilities of overhead lines and underground lines the system will be seriously less robust, perhaps downright fragile.

Reply to
josephkk

PC

No kidding. That was what we were laughing about. The EBS used simple tone signaling. EAS replaced that with modems with an odd baud rate, which has problems with noise during storms. The baud rate is very low, because it is a one way data link, and that AM radio is limited by the bandwidth of an AM transmitter. He told me he had dropped one station that was on it's third manager in a year, and that their standby generator was down because they wouldn't by a new battery for the starter. They go the generator and switcher for free from some government agency, but are too cheap to keep fresh fuel and a usable battery. It's no wonder that radio is in trouble in the US. Stations are no longer local businesses, they are owned by greedy 'investors' who squeeze every penny out of a station before dumping it on the next fool who 'Wants to be in the radio business'.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, but josephkk mentioned Windows NT 1.2 which AFAIK did not exist. I think the first released to the public version of NT was 3.1, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
JW

Hey, it worked! The stupid Suddenlink cable modem hung up yesterday but the mechanical timer power-cycled it at 3AM, and it all recovered!

I set up the mini-itx so it boots on power-up, and all the apps autostart. So it will recover after an AC power interruption, which happens up there. I left it plugged into a non-timer outlet, as as to reduce any corruption that might result from cold-cocking XP once a day. I could move the XP box over to the timered power strip, and reboot it daily, but I'll wait a few years and see how this config works.

John

The IT guy at Microdyne who ran the Prime minicomputer mounted a photocell over one of the indicators that monitored activity. No activity for a set time, and the system shut down and restarted.

BTW, I find it interesting that so many cable modems & routers lock up, yet the 'Linux Lemmings' claim that Linux never crashes. :)

I had to remove the passwords from an old XP computer the other day. OPHcrack refused to run, along with several other versions of Linux because they didn't like the video chipset, or the monitor's resolution. A real pain in the ass, having to try multiple versions, or switch video cards & monitors till they will load.

It turns out the the administrator's account use 'password' for the password.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The cable guys would save themselves a world of support expense if they built a few pennies worth of watchdog timer into their modems.

John

The don't build them. They are mostly made n China, and designed by people who don't need to use them.. You would think with names like Motorola and Scientific Atlanta on the boxes, they would give a damn about quality, but they are so cheap that most are throw away junk. The best I've used was an early Toshiba, 10 years ago. They were replaced by S-A at Brighthouse. Cox uses Motorola, but I don't know what Comcast uses. Those are the only CATV sytems with Broadband around here.

One trick with the S-A 'Webstar' modem: When it is talking to their data center you can't access any webpage except the user GUI. When it's down, you can access the configuration pages. It's availible from any browser on the LAN side of the modem.

http://192.168.100.1/ is the link to see the user GUI http://192.168.100.1/rest.asp resets the modem, if it's still visible to the computer. There are others, but I'm not going to post them.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ir

s -

ur

em

lly

.

d!

ck

d by

heir

rest.aspresets the modem, if it's still visible to

I've had a zyxel adsl modem for I think ten years, only problems I've had is one dying from a lightning, and at one point it started to lose connection every few minutes, turned out to be a virus sending so many request it flooded the buffers alerted me to the virus so I can't really complain about that ...

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Those probably don't run Linux but a proprietary OS.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Almost all run some strain of Linux.

Reply to
krw

Sounds more like you simply just don't know what the f*ck you are doing from one moment to the next without having your hand held and pissing and moaning about how it is always the OS that so many of us have no problems at all from. You always fail to finish, and always have some other aspect to blame for it.

Finish already! Find that 6 foot hole in the ground and dive in!

Bwuahahahahahahahaa!

Reply to
TheJoker

I thought you said it was DSL.

And secondly, I'd be willing to bet that you have no clue as to what is actually happening, much less how to fix it *without* a reset. Some ISP if they cannot give you a hook that doesn't latch up!

Bwuahahahaha!

Between you and the dweeb tech you called and relied upon, I'd say that you are probably about as clueless as it gets in this circumstance.

Watchdog timer... You're an idiot! How funny! Bwuahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha!

Reply to
TheJoker