nice Mini-ITX box

Utter horseshit.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Try Fry's. But the forum will get you answers faster that they themselves. Most questions are several weeks or months old, and have been answered by several folks, many of which are Acer engineers or technicians.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

In XP, you can invoke the command-line "shutdown" program.

Type

shutdown ?

for syntax.

So then just write a batch file or a PowerBasic program or whatever to invoke that.

I don't know if W7 has that.

John

Cool. Please find out of the bios supports auto power-up.

John

ven

ff

->

ing

he

ed

o.

That switch is not hard wired. It is a soft switch in the sense that software monitors it. I just use notebooks where you can yank the battery for a hard reset.

Some notebooks are notorious for drawing power when "off", such as some VAIOs.

Older notebooks had both the soft and hard switch, but I don't see that done anymore.

Reply to
miso

they

of models

mercial

d the

ch -- =A0

ures

in

I've had too much netgear stuff fail to ever buy Netgear again. Of course I swore off Linksys, but with the CIsco buyout, Linksys no longer sucked.

Back to benchmarking, you can't get the data on bit error rate versus SNR. I'm sure it exists someplace, but I never found it published. Regarding lockup, the internet is as good as you will get. I had a Broadxent Briteport moden that was the biggest piece of crap every. Not only did it lock up, but the power on reset was crap so it was a bitch to reset. The Xyzel's locked up once in a while. Nothing has been as good as the 2wire.

In the analog days, I've used the AEA, Comstron, etc. and ran bit error rates. The data was always kept internal. In our case, we were designing the modem chips, so we needed to evaluate the competition since invariably somebody would say we were not as good as blah blah blah,.Rockwell was usually the best. If you were close to Rockwell, nobody cared Rockwell was better.

Reply to
miso

Win2K apparently tolerates that, so why not XP?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Be advised that link has a 5-letter swear word in it (hint: right before the /).

Reply to
Robert Baer

..use hot electrons?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Any Windows version with a name is crap in some way (ME, XP, Vista). The versions with a number seem much better.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Only if it is connected to the internet. There are plenty that are not.

A surprising number of scientific instruments will not run on Vista and are still quirky on Win7 so MS has reluctantly had to continue to offer critical support on XP out to (at least) 2014.

Amusingly some XP support pages even today still advocate "upgrading" to Vista. The corporate world told MS where to stuff Vista.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Bullshit Windows NT was one of the best releases they had.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

Or more patience.

Nah. The whole purpose of mechanical design engineering - particularly in automotive design is to make sure that amateurs will break things trying to get in or skin their knuckles trying to get that last really stiff awkward fixing bolt in the tight corner with a normal spanner.

There is a trend at the moment to having things that snap together and do require careful manipulation to dismantle without damaging them.

They don't hang up all that often but in remote regions they can be provoked to do so by transients on the line. BTW take a look at the PSU for your cable modem if it is an external one - they are sometimes underpowered and run a *lot* hotter than you would want for unattended operation. I have seen one char its rating label after a couple of years.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:16:22 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Something is wrong with all this, too many boxes. All you need is the modem and a small box connected to it via ethernet that has the I/O you need. Like this multiprocessor PIC light controller:

of course that is only 3 high power PWM outputs, and one analog input, but there are at least 12 unused analog inputs, plus many digital inputs and outputs. It seems to start again no problem after a power down. You do not even need a real time clock, you could just send it the correct time every now and then from the main server elsewhere, as I do from crontab, so no battery backup needed. So I do not understand why all that PC, separate I/O boxes. All to program in BASIC? Seems an expensive hobby to me. My light controller has no been working no problem for almots a year? My own written UDP stack in PIC asm. Consumes about 1W with the LM317 in switchmode :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

down

It does. You can optionally specify the time in seconds to wait before shutdown occurs. "Shutdown /s /t 60" would shutdown the computer in 60 seconds.

Reply to
JW

Computer box, i/o box. Not so many.

the I/O you need.

Does it do webcam to FTP?

I'd still need the second board to do the RTD signal conditioning and the furnace relays. I used one-shots to drive the relays so they would be fail-safe and not heat the place up to 99 degrees for weeks at a time if anything hung up.

every now and then

needed.

Sure. I like BASIC. It's easy to change, nicely documented, and I own it, in the sense that I wrote it and know exactly what it does. I learned some good stuff about PCs and FTP servers doing this.

Not very expensive. It's the cabin and the skiing and the wife and the kid that are expensive. All worth it.

Yikes! Now *that* sounds like an expensive hobby.

The mini-ITX barely gets warm, and we like our ski boots warm anyhow.

John

There's probably the occasional oscilloscope that never has a net connection, but all you need for vulnerability is to have somebody walk in with a thumb drive.

When XP support goes away, I'll probably have to buy an up-to-date copy of Mathcad. My current copy, which I use a lot, is version 6.0 for Windows 3.1 (actually it's very modern--it uses Win32s extensions).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Apr 2011 07:02:47 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

has the I/O you need.

I have an IP webcam, DCS-900.

It has a build in webserver, no need to upload to any ftp server at all. Via the NAT table in the router I assign it a port.

time every now and then

needed.

Why, I own the IP, you can buy that stack. Was at most a few evenings work, but then I did the programming software, the programming hardware, and prototype code for the Ethernet controller too.

Yea, OK. But this box can be easily extended with some relay drivers, why use xp? Once programmed it should work for years. My box has 4 programmable timers for the lights that can set RGB (so color) individually. The same MOSFETS can drive 3 relays. I am a bit surprized that you, who argue for state machines in reliable software (UDP is just a state machine), go for something not so stable as xp.

I still have an old CP/M clone I wrote in Z80 asm, that will happely run some old C compiler or BASIC :-) I have never written a BASIC compiler or interpreter, but would it not be nice to have written EVERYTHING that runs on your embedded system? It is fun, I usually can say: 'Oh I already wrote that once', Just added a ts filter 'jpfilter', can be used to cut .ts files too:

needed it so I could play existing files on my crap samsung 46 inch LCD. Actually your setup reminded me to order some more PIC 18F14K22, box is empty.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

FWIW, Mathcad 2001i (IMO the last good version) installed and ran without a hitch on Windows 7 starter edition (32-bit flavor).

If the installation CD ever dies, I'll downgrade to the prior version (first) and get a lot more familiar with Scilab (second) before giving in to PTC.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Definitely not. Use the shutdown command, run from the task scheduler.

Your plug timer will drift. Instead you can easily make a relay switch for the other components triggered by a current sensor on the PC supply. The PC time will sync through the internet.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso