New type of vacuum tube

Sucker bait for audiophools. ...Jim Thompson

With dirt-cheap color LCDs killing VF displays, I can see why Noritake would be desperate, but that's absurd any number of ways.

It does look sort of like the Hamamatsu MEMS photomultiplier, which is cool but unobtainable.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 07:14:28 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

I remember the military jobs Raytheon made that were the size of one's baby finger. They had heaters though. That was back in the fifties.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Nuvistors were smaller

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You missed the point... it's a semiconductor equivalent to a triode with "... generating the same rich harmonics which vacuum tubes are known for".

Barf >:-} ...Jim Thompson

But it's a tube, not a semiconductor, isn't it?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:49:41 +0100, Syd Rumpo Gave us:

Did you even go look?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Methinks these are them: I have some old 1950's Motorola radios that use those tubes. I had to buy some for repairs a while back and was pleased to find that some are still available:

I'm not sure what such a tube could be used for, except perhaps overpriced hi-fi equipment and EMP resistant devices:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

With a 30,000 hour mtbf?

With a 30,000 hour mtbf?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That 6P1 has heaters. The Noritake VF displays have heated filaments, so they probably used the same technology.

We used to stock a few Noritake VF displays, and I bet I could get one of them to work in triode mode, with gain. We've had to design a couple of them out, as they were discontinued.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's unclear. My take on it is that it's a hybrid semiconductor circuit which emulates a tube. ...Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

VF displays last for decades. The filaments run at low temperature, not even visibly glowing. This thing is just a VF with two giant pixels and no phosphor. They should add an orange phosphor to make it look more like a toob.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Not necvessarily. Even audiophools don't want harmonics, rich, poor or otherwise. the intended market is probably for the overdrive stages of guitar amps. Korg is a musial instrument company, not a hifi company.

Reply to
jurb6006

I still have a pile of 6CW4 and 6DS4 Nuvistors (mostly to fix old Tek scopes). I have an 60KHz WWVB amplifier that I built long ago that I use for testing them. After 55 years, they still hold a vacuum and still work nicely. You can still get them new from Russia:

How about a hi-fi with a surface mount PCB and Nuvistor tubes? Nothing sounds better than an amplifier with a built in noise source.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

LOL

Reply to
bitrex

Sno-o-o-o-ort >:-}

I grew up on tubes, built my first transistor power amp (class-A) ~1957. Built a real deal 30W class-B with Motorola RF transistors ~1963. I'd never go back to tubes... they don't sound realistic... and I judge based on playing in orchestra and I know what real Mozart should sound like. ...Jim Thompson

I do not mind audiophools so much. I would like to design things that make them happy such that they will give me their money. It would be a mutually beneficial arrangement as their psychology probably won't change - they'll just give the same money to someone else who isn't me.

Reply to
bitrex

Someone online somewhere made a preamp using VF displays, but I can't find a link at the moment.

Reply to
bitrex