new type of "hybrid" car system?

Would it be feasible to have electric coils installed under the road, and power cars by electromagnetic induction? Have half of a transformer be in the car, connected to the electric motor / speed controls, and the other half be spaced every foot or so under each lane.

I guess a tamper-proof electric meter could be installed in each car, and someone from the power company could read this meter remotely for billing (like it's done now for water billing).

For areas where the coils are not available, still have a gasoline engine available.

Mike Darrett

Reply to
mrdarrett

Would it be feasible... ? Not really. An expensive infrastructure, none wants to pay for. Especially since it restricts the so important right to overtake. The coils would be for the lines only.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Roads are expensive too... fixing up the potholes after a storm... countries who don't have large special interest lobbyists might be able to implement this before the US does.

Besides... we're running low on oil.

I guess the gasoline engine could kick in for that. It would be needed regardless, for cross-country trips to the boonies, and probably also to enter one's own driveway...

Unless the car is all-electric, and the battery is also charged by the inductive coil system...

Reply to
mrdarrett

Who is?

Reply to
Simon Scott

Those who are used to let the 5.6 litre V8 running on ide while in the restaurant, just to keep the aircon running. The car could heat up from the sun in the meantime.

Whereas we're requested to switch the engine off at the red light unless in the first 4 positions.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

It would be possible, but it would be grossly inefficient, and I don't know why you would want to do it this way. Trolleybuses (i.e. buses that derive their power directly from two overhead cables, which have a potential difference of several hundred V) have been around for circa

100 years. It would be much easier to power cars this way.
Reply to
Stephen Dedalus

Who's asked to switch the engine off like that/ That's insane - what about length of light cycle and fuel use on start-up? Your position in the queue is irrelevant. It's a cop-out by authorities which want to divert attention from the costs of traffic infrastructure problems.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Why do cars still idle? Because people are nervous that it won't start again. And for some reason they are not worried that it will die idling.

Years of bad design leads to expectations here that cars have trouble starting.

Citroen finally seems to have achieved this in a small car.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

You would use a lot of copper putting coils under 100,000 miles of interstate.

Reply to
kell

How do you change lanes? Adjust speed? Make turns? Exit the road? Stop for pedestrians? Avoid road hazards? Deal with flooding? Deal with power failures?

Tom Davidson Richmond, VA

Reply to
tadchem

And they put on such a *fascinating* display when you throw a cargo chain across the cables...

Tom Davidson Richmond, VA

Reply to
tadchem

It is quite sensible to switch off. As soon as the off time exceeds 10 seconds, the fuel balance is positive. And as soon as you some where in a back position 5+, then you have even more time to start up, as those ahead need to start first. We have some traffic lights that count down with numbers, they give you an accurate idea how long you're going to wait. But as soon as there are preferred traffic members such as public busses, these times won't be accurate anymore.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

He was thinking of a power supply, not a linear induction motor.

--
"Outside the camp you shall have a place set aside to be used as a
latrine.  You shall keep a trowel in your equipment and with it, when you

And you thought people raised a stink about the alleged hazards of electromagnetic radiation from power lines...

Your scheme would work in principle, but it's not feasible. Not enough copper.

--
"Will we be suturing the anus?"
Reply to

The Democrats would go for that ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

No.

Energy transmission over all but the smallest airgap is miniscule.

They are still having problems inductive coupling toothbrushes.

Cost per mile would be prohibitive, and the overwhelming majority of the system would not be used most of the time.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

A bus was an 1880's type of device obsoleted by the modem. They pay no role whatsoever in future transportation solutions.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Best hybrid I can think of, (especially for city driving), is gas electric. gas engine to take care of charging the batteries, and electric for main drive. Gas is only used when battery power drops and not used for idling. JTT

Reply to
James Thompson

The authorities over there do it because they can - it seems Them Yer-a-peein' folks just love following orders.

Cheers! Rich

--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rich Grise, PLainclothes Hippi

I was having this discussion with a friend the other day. Evidently a hybrid can get better milage on the highway than an "equivalent" gas-only car. The key is the low speed design. The electric motor has more torque at the low end allowing a smaller engine for around-town. At highway speeds the larger engine isn't "needed" (passing is an issue, I'd think) so the design is a net gain. I still question the added expense and weight though.

--
  Keith
Reply to