new scanner thing

linked from Drudge Report:

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

When I first saw "picosecond programmable laser" I thought John was looking at a big payday.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

I does seem like bedazzling some DHS guy with techno babble and how you gadget can detect something dangerous(tm) is a great way to get lots of money for something that is practically pointless

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Well, maybe I am.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

Old news; at least 2 years and probably 5-8 years old. They all need permission to use nose to smell a fart.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hopefully NOT the candy bar..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Only if the department of Homeland (In)Security are daft enough to sign the cheque. It is pure technobabble and would be utterly useless in an airport setting. I smell a large rodent in the 160 feet claim too...

Sounds like they have reinvented Lidar and are making excessively bold claims for how well it would work for trendy security applications.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

om>

ity-laser...

ught John was

=20

They do seem to be claiming to be doing remote absorbtion/Raman spectrometr= y, which is rather more than Lidar. I'd bee a bit surprised if the absorbti= on/Raman spectra of small particles of dust and dirt were all that well-res= olved or informative, and you'd have to process a lot of them if you were s= canning the surface of 6 foot high cylinder with a radius of 160 feet.

--=20 Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Presumably they can aim a pulsed, wavelength agile laser at a spot and see what bounces back, a spectrum per pixel, hyperspectral imaging at a new level, maybe. I wonder how specific a chemical analysis can be got from reflections like that. Chemical analysis absorption spectroscopy is usually done in liquids and gasses. Space probes flying over the moon, or even crawling around on Mars, don't seem to do very specific detection of ice or minerals.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

Raman spectroscopy on PEOPLE? Geez, it will work, but the people scanned may not like it one bit! Having you skin burned off with a laser seems to be big stuff in cosmetic treatments these days, though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Scan them at low power and, if you spot a terrorist or someone smuggling a drink on board, crank up the power and execute them on the spot.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

...anything for the excess printed dollar..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Now you're thinking like a marketing guy..

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany