New Raspberry Pi 4 presented today

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe you should follow this thread branch again. He asked about INPUT of streams. Not what the thing can display.

And by decode I mean running an app that decodes a video file and plays it. Can't do two of those simultaneously.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

SPI with DMA on the Pi side

Reply to
bitrex

Still only 20Mbps, not 20MSPS at 12 bit I&Q :)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It's got a media player SoC, so it's going to excell as that task. if you want a router, you should pick something built around a router SoC instead.

there's a list here:

Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (Mon, 24 Jun 2019 20:12:44 +0100) it happened Chris wrote in :

I am using a Pi 2 model as router, has a 4G stick in it, and runs iptables for routing and firewall. It is my internet connection.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:29:46 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

Yes busybox is a bit spartanic...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Jun 2019 14:03:39 +1000) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

This was recently discussed here, you can toggle a GPIO pin at > 30MHz on the pi 3+. So even a software read loop of 16 bits wide on GPIO at say 5 MHz (store time) would give 80 Mbit / s? On the Pi 3+ ? But mind the task switching, needs FIFO buffer, not hard to do:

Pi has DMA too, but I have never used that.

It works great with rtl-sdr, I have my spectrum analyzer runnng on a Pi 2:

what is high speed ;-)

The Pi 4 has gigabit ethernet, I have several PICs programmed to supply normal UDP ethernet, maybe those would need a different chip for Gigabit ethernet...

USB3 seems interesting too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Already use dd-wrt and tomato for wireless routers but the issue is cost. Media player or not, it would have much greater applicability if it had 2 network ports. Even for a media player, one for management and the other for the media serving, separate subnets for security...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I guess with a single interface, you are defining virtual interfaces ?. Prefer separate hardware interfaces for firewall duty for added isolation. Virtual interfaces always seemed a bit of a hack to me...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Starting to look good. Have been lusting after an affordable arm based workstation class machine running FreeBSD for ages now. It's taken some time, but Arm is becoming a valid alternative to the intel monopoly. Good enough to get work done at a fraction of the cost and power consumption...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Jun 2019 17:22:10 +0100) it happened Chris wrote in :

Not sure what you mean, here is my connect script for the Huawei 4G stick I bought from ebay:

root@raspberrypi:/usr/local/sbin# cat start_4g #! /bin/sh

echo "using usb_modeswitch" usb_modeswitch -s 15 -I -H -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf sleep 2

ls -rtl /dev/ttyUSB*

echo "setting PIN" huaweic -d /dev/ttyUSB1 -b 9600 -p 1234

sleep 2

killall -KILL pppd

echo "starting pppd" sleep 1 /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyUSB1 call pct-hsdpa-3g-huawei-e220-kpn sleep 10

echo "ifconfig" ifconfig

echo "setting IP forwarding" iptables -F route add -net 192.168.0.0/16 dev eth0 echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward ip_address=`ifconfig | awk '/P-t-P/{print $2}' | cut -d':' -f2` iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING ! -d 192.168.0.0/16 -o ppp0 -j SNAT --to-source $ip_address

echo "" vnstat -i ppp0 -s

echo "" /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp

I wrote 'huaweic', only using it here to set the PIN for the 4G USB stick, but it can do SMS and some more things, it is on my website (at least the old version).

For usb_modeswitch goolge for it for raspberry (apt-get IIRC)

This raspi is at 192.168.178.1 from there it goes to a 8 port switch, then and other 8 port switch and again an other 8 port switch. Lots of computahs and other gadgets hang on it in the LAN, some with POE. Each of those uses a huge number of entries iptables firewall.

vnstat shows usage, so Mbytes used.... All puters have gateway 192.168.178.1 specified.

The 'pct-hsdpa-3g-huawei-e220-kpn' script used by pppd is in fact modified for 4G and connects to the telco.

When I am not home I can take that 4G stick and simply insert it in my laptop and then run an other script to connect.

Its simple, (once you figured it all out that is) and so far extremely reliable.

To start it all I just ssh -Y to 192.168.178.1 and type start4g leave the ssh connection on in terminal, and check the network connectivity and speed: root@raspberrypi:~# ping -c 1 8.8.8.8 PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=1 ttl=54 time=38.8 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---

1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 38.824/38.824/38.824/0.000 ms

To get my usage an other script, 'vnstat -i ppp0 -s' root@raspberrypi:~# used

rx / tx / total / estimated ppp0: May '19 3.61 GiB / 287.18 MiB / 3.89 GiB Jun '19 2.45 GiB / 199.62 MiB / 2.64 GiB / 3.20 GiB yesterday 132.50 MiB / 8.15 MiB / 140.66 MiB today 156.21 MiB / 9.77 MiB / 165.98 MiB / 208 MiB

its easy.

Maybe 2 ports would help if you only had 2 computahs, but a switch is much easier. I can switch of the modem / route raspi (go offline) and things will just keep working on the LAN, because after a short while an ARP request will ask for the MAC addresses for a given IP, and reroute any traffic via the switches.

That router raspi also knows the exact time...

?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The ARMs are getting more heavyweight in all regards including more power and the Intel devices are getting more lightweight including less power. Seems they are going to meet in the middle.

Intel powered laptops these days really don't burn so much power. They may have a fan, but it can sit in your lap with no feeling of heat. The rPi ARM chips pretty universally need a fan to run at full speed.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Unfortunately it seems that it still can't do fast video such as 1080 Youtube in full screen, otherwise this would have been the time I'd get on board:

There is a way via omxplayer on the command line but we aren't living in the stone age anymore.

I wonder why. All those cheap Android TV boxes could do that since years. We have one.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Don't know what the Pi hardware SPI bus tops out at, I didn't believe there was any standards-enforced upper bound on SPI bus speed. There's more than one hardware SPI channel on the board maybe you could interleave it.

Other than that your options are kinda limited; HDMI and camera for the reasons you say, Ethernet doesn't make much sense, USB you'd also have to use a FPGA or have a second embedded processor to format the transmission and write a driver for it, i2c is too slow.

Might as well check how fast the GPIO pins can toggle and go direct via bit-banging it, it might be faster than one expects

Reply to
bitrex

I think I can see what you are doing, but seems a bit complicated, setups all over the place. Here, prefer to secure the perimeter first, single point of setup for the rules, port forwarding etc but then have 2nd level routers with their own rules to control access to and from subnets. Firewalling is a separate function and generally don't have much in the way of rules on the machines.

Hierarchical access control and setup that doesn't really change from year to year. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

They are getting better, but still quite a bit behind afaics. Whatever, but a bit more competition might get them off their backsides and come up with something truly innovative. Good product, but not really trying at all. With a fairly captive market, perhaps they think they don't need to, but amd is snapping at their heals at least...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:03:39 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Test is OK, but has some silly remarks like 'charging' via USB, and toggling GIO pins with python (I'd use asm or C to get the real speed), so he gets kHz and not MHz??? Could be a typo, I do not speak snake languages,

Holly cow, who is in the stone age? I do everything from the command line. It is only silly clueless whimsy MS widows poisoned poor left hand mouse clunkers that do not know about scripts and commend line because Billy the Gates removed that interface to it to avoid DrDOS running with win 3.1, in win95.

We are 24 years later now and every kid now uses the command line if not they are doomed to be destroyed by Hacker in the next war trumpy starts,

Get real. 4k I do not use, this monitor I use now is 1680 * 1050 and is my work station.

For my older Pi you had to buy a license key to enable hardware mpeg playback. Not sure he had it enabled? Maybe no more key needed? I do not know. Anyways people making 4k youtube videos with only themselves talking should be banned to some island without connectivity, as looking at some silly babble in 4k is a crime against humanity and a waste, and bad for the climate [1], and etc etc... does not add anything to the content. I am sure software will be improved but I could not care less. I type this on a 2.8 GHz single core AMD sempron, so wtf. 5625.59 bogomips. Load factor 7.3 .. about all the time that is ...

Yes I have a core i5 too, but those are full of security holes.

Anyways I'd expect to see youtube working , but I could not care less. If it really does not work and I need it I will write it,

[1] we had a heat wave today, really: t_min 25.7 at 08:15 t_max 38.2 at 15:59 rh_min 24.0 at 13:42 rh_max 67.0 at 20:57

It is also clear we need a heatsink and fan in the Pi4 housing,

Tom does nice test, but I wonder... Was looking again today, no 4G memory model available... But I do want one :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A cooler is not mandatory, per this _Register_ article (shared by a followup at comp.sys.raspberry-pi):

Cases and Cooling

Connector changes aren't the only worries for those looking to upgrade. While the Pi 4 is the same size as its predecessor, you will likely need a new case due to sockets moving about, and we'd also recommend considering a cooling solution.

In our real-world testing ? using the machine as our primary computer for a few days ? things got quite warm. If you were to load the thing up with serious tasks, then airflow would definitely be a consideration.

Upton warned us that the Pi would start "managing its clocking" - aka dialing clock rates down and performance back a bit to

warmer than the Model 3 B+: idle power is roughly the same, but we can draw about 1W more under full load."

Our Pi 4 Model B, sat on a desk without a case, hit 69 degrees just writing this piece in LibreOffice. Those keen to hammer their Pis, in terms of workload, would therefore be wise to look at options for keeping things cool.

(excerpt)

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Jun 2019 21:17:32 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Don Kuenz wrote in :

Bit silly, he thing slows the clock down all the time because temperature alarm comes in. Imagine a 15 W soldering iron in a mall plastic box.

OF COURSE you need a fan, and better a heatsink on the processor too. Else one may just as well use a Pi 3+ as it will be just as fast without throttling.

Alu housing will become available I am sure, that may work for silent operation, cooling by convection, IF enough space around that Pi.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

They probably did that to test how fast the CPU can wiggle a pin from code generated with a high-level language. That test was of little practical value IMHO.

Most Linux guys are :-)

Now try to transform yourself into a non-techie user. For example a visitor. In our case those would be, for example, Europeans visiting and the Raspberry would be in the guest room. Jet lag -> can't sleep -> let's watch some news or whatever from back home. And now you seriously want them to copy every URL they find on Youtube into a command line windows and try it with omxplayer, only to find out this URL was no good and then trying another 5-10 URLs?

That is stone-age.

No, they do not. Ask some kids.

I grew up with the command line but have grown since. I also no longer crank the motor of my car to start it, like I used to at a younger age.

Does not work for Youtube.

Look beyond yourself, there are others. People who want to watch foreign news at good screen resolution, a Western at 1080p, et cetera. Or like me yesterday, watching "Saving Private Ryan", all three hours and 20 mintes of it, very worthwhile seeing that.

But they do play Youtube video in hi-def. Also, you can use Linux, makes it much safer. I recently converted my wife's laptop to the Lubuntu OS. After the last update it has problems with Youtube. Oh well. We can use the Android TV box in the living room for that, it always works.

Yes, they were even talking about active cooling. At least a heat sink should be added. It is not healthy to run a CPU into thermal throttling on a reglar basis.

I'll wait until there is a contemprary fix for the Youtube deficiency, not just a stone-age kludge. Also, they should be sold with at least a heat sink and some glue in the package. Raise the price a little to cover that.