New PIC project: USA_PIC :-)

usa_pic is a very different kind of PIC :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I didn't look, someone tell me if he improves his schematics. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Still crap. Don't reply to Jan and I won't have to look (I already have him plonked, for years now ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

This one has horrible contrast, but it's readable. Some of the lines are sort of straight!

Thompson doesn't understand digital stuff, or software, anyhow.

But if he plonked Jan years ago, how can he say his stuff is "still crap"? Totally illogical.

John

Very nice design Jan! Congratulations!!!

Documentation quite usable.

TomC

Reply to
tomcee

On a sunny day (Sun, 15 May 2011 10:02:38 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I am under the impression that the does not understand analog either, he could not help you with that filter :-) hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 15 May 2011 11:05:11 -0700 (PDT)) it happened tomcee wrote in :

Thank you. It IS sort of amazing tha the thing works 2 ways RS232-UDP. And fast too, up to the max baudrate. I use 2 buffers sequentially to increase throughput. I did send a xMB file through it and (RS232@115200Bd -> UDP and did a file compare. Zero errors. Nice even for UDP.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

His excuse for not posting anything intelligent is that people will steal it. He would never run the risk of being actually helpful.

John

The 3.3V power supply is the most obfusticated one I've ever seen.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Mon, 16 May 2011 07:42:39 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

Right, it is a bit clunky. I really need some small fixed RF switcher [chips] with 5 V and 3.3 V, that I can actually BUY from say conrad.nl or the like. OTOH this designg is so univeral it also works for 10 A. The TIP34 was the only PNP with > 200mA I had in the box. In Dutch: 'Je moet roeien met de riemen die je hebt.'

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Or: 'Je kan de juiste spullen uit Digi-Key'?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Mon, 16 May 2011 07:33:10 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Not correct Dutch, better would be: 'Je kan de juiste spullen bij digikey krijgen.' But digikey has lots of shipping costs, more than from China :-) Minimum order too. Conrad ships free above 25 Euro, no mimimum order.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

PS I bought some of these:

20 A, 5.8 V to 7.5 V adjustable, 5 Euro each :-).

2 make 12V.

3 make 24 V. But too big for in the small PIC projects, Excellent power supplies though. I use 3 in series to power my cryo cooler, 2 in series as 12 V lab supply.

Cannot beat that price.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

=A0 =A0 Mikek

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Hi Jan,

I notice that the schematics in the background of your photos are much clearer than the actual schematic. Does your camera have a manual exposure control? If not, move the hardware so we can see what's underneath.

- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

As you say, kinda bulky.

Next time you pop over to China, have a look at the 15W supplies.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Mon, 16 May 2011 06:01:26 -0700 (PDT)) it happened "J.A. Legris" wrote in :

Good observation! Yes Canon a470 is on auto everything, I can switch it off though.

*If* I could be bothered to start the chdk firmware. But it seems to me most people here do have terrible monitors, or adjusted those in a terrible way, or are about to go blind. I have no problem reading any of the diagrams on my monitor. Not even on the HD TV. And finally in the source code the pin connections are clearly indicated, so I am not going to bother for those who do not use the code anyways. Those that complain have problems with very simple circuits, and then this is not for them. They who are half blind cannot build anything anyways, and those who have a clue do not need the diagrams.

Some suggestion for monitors:

1) Set black level right. 2) Set the peak white right. Use the same resolution on your graphics card as the pixels on the monitor, so if monitor is 1680 x 1050, set your graphics card to that, if monitor is 1920x1080 set your graphics card to that. Else aliasing will blur ANY fine lines. Use the proper drivers. Do not drink before -, during -, and after watching my diagrams. Hold your head still relative to the screen, try looking upright, so if top of screen is up, head up too. Read any text next to the components from left to right. Glasses are likely available from your local drugstore up to +2.5, you can however put 2 glasses of +2.5 on top of each other to get +5. If your monitor has low brightness, try darkening the room or replacing the monitor. Check your VGA cable if you have one, very long cables can reduce bandwidth, bad grounding connections can cause moire. Buy a good graphics card, for the diagrams you do not need high fps, but a stable display is required. Try to avoid having objects or people between you and the monitor when watching. This also goes for pets like cats and dogs and dinosaurs. If you MUST listen to music while watching these diagrams, try some quiet nice music, avoid falling stones and stuff like that. Do not use drugs before -, during -, and after watching my diagrams. If it is so bad that you must cry a lot and your eyes are full of tears, dry your eyes on a regular basis. Keep the monitor on a stable table, so it does not move all the time when you watch it, in the same way use a stable chair, it is OK to hold your head in your hands while watching. In ca

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Is CHDK any good on A470? I had an A470, but Canon sent me back an A480 on warranty, at the time CHDK hadn't been ported to that. And, I lost interest in CHDK after my A590 shat itself -- though it had taken 140k shots before jamming up ;) Clouds moving, mostly. Fun writing a better timer/shooter program for the thing.

Oh, I don't think so, just for fun I put histograms for the seven images on your most recent page here:

Notice how the first histogram differs from the rest? Squashed, compressed into the middle zone.

Obvious answer is to spread that out again, but then the jpg artifacts are fairly distracting.

Right. That is a cheeky regulator though, seems like too many components in it? What inductance value did you get for so few turns?

[...]

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 May 2011 01:51:57 +1000) it happened Grant wrote in :

Lots of questions, I will try to answer some.

Yes, chdk is very good, but I use it not very often so it takes ages for me to find something in the menus and try it.

That is neat.

But this was read into 'xv', then cropped, and then written back with a much lower resolution and quality factor jpg. I prefer not to put the huge originals on the site. Original jpg:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1338219 2011-05-15 17:01 img_2923.jpg

Cropped and written back as low quality jpg with 'xv':

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 64682 2011-05-15 17:18 usa_pic_circuit_diagram_img_2923.jpg

Look at the difference in file size.

Like I stated before, I do not sell kits, the diagrams are only an indication. look in the asm source for pin connections etc. I dunno how others perceive 'diagrams' but I read these like novels, even if half is missing. It is for the general clue, not a step by step instruction for kids. When I have some idea for some project, I make these sketches, call them diagrams if you like, and solder the thing together on top of that paper to protect the desk. Make any changes in the process, result: these diagrams are usually (but not always) exactly what the circuit is like, so I can use it later (years later) to fix things. I am not really attached to those originals, I threw away an ordner with about

500 of those e few month back... The real value is for investors, a real twenty first century Jan Panteltje can be worth millions later on. Think how lucky you would be if your grandfather had bought a sketch by Van Gogh. So, if you are into that sort of thing, you can always buy the original.

Well it is the iron that helps the inductance too. I forgot to measure it, I scoped it for the correct (acceptable) waveforms and ripple voltage for the full input range with a dummy load, then connected the electronics. Ripple is a few hundred millivolts. That cap in the diagram is now 2 x 220 uF in parallel, the .25 Ohm is somewhat higher, the 100 nF is omitted to get a higher switching frequency.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Maybe that has something to do with the fact that you already know what's on the diagrams!

BTW, my monitor and my vision are just fine. I have few problems with images on the web, including your own photos, EXCEPT FOR YOUR SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS.

Tip, if you cannot adjust the exposure manually, you can lock in the exposure by framing a dark-ish object at the same distance, pressing the shutter release lightly, and then panning over to the schematic diagram just before snapping the picture. If that's too much trouble, then just add a few relatively dark objects to your schematic before taking the picture - you already know it works.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Or just find a used flatbed scanner for free, and learn how to use it.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.