New indexes for Art of Electronics 3rd ed, help wanted

We have draft versions of two new indexes for the Art of Electronics 3rd edition. Please download the pdf files at our website,

We've reworked the Subject Index, tripling the number of page references, and doubling its length to 50 double-column pages. And we've also added a new part-number Parts Index, which is 36 pages long.

These are draft versions. We're inviting comments and corrections and additions before we complete the editing, add headings, etc., and create final versions (you can post comments here, email me directly, or contact me using the Contact tab on our website.)

We'll post final versions when they're ready, and we're considering updating the book's present Subject Index with the new longer one, in the upcoming 9th printing (given our huge book's size, the added size and weight is an issue).

For anyone not familiar with our book, or anyone who hasn't yet purchase a copy of the 3rd edition, let me reminding you of the free Chapter 9, see "Download a sample chapter" on the main page just below the notice of the Draft indexes,

This is an up-to-date version of the chapter, "Voltage Regulation and Power Conversion." 108 pages long, it's a small book in itself. This is a detailed high-resolution free-to-share chapter / monograph.

For knowledgeable engineers who think they might be bored with books like ours, I suggest reading sections 9.7 and 9.8 (file pages 90-102, book pages 660-672). This includes one of our "Designs by the Masters" series, in this case a detailed teardown and analysis of an Astrodyne OFM-1501 15-watt off-line power-supply module (photo page 25 / 595, upper right). Our examination includes full details, such as the transformer design. The OFM-1501 costs $48 qty 10,

We learned a lot researching and creating these 13 pages, and you may learn something as well, or you may just enjoy the read.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Firstly, I like the subject index; thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "add headings". With luck you are already one step ahead of the comment made below.

With indexes that are long detailed and structured, it can be awkward to spot where you "are" in the index. That can easily be avoided by repeating the previous topic name at the top of each page.

For example, the first line of p1224 is "compensation", but you can't see /what/ is being compensated without flipping to p1223 and then back again. OTOH, if the first line of p1224 was "frequency (contd.)" then that would be unnecessary.

Ditto "low distortion" on p1227, etc.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Forget the index when are the dang X-chapters coming out? :^)

Seriously a good index is a god-send. I think my favorite index is the back of the McMaster-Carr catalog. I guess to me what's important in an index is that one topic is covered under multi-headings. I just checked for phase sequence filter... it's under both phase and filter. +1!

George H. B

Reply to
George Herold

Exactly. You'll note we've done that in the book now. Very important. But it's done manually, so our editor will wait until we've finalized the entries.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Thanks :)

I've seen too many indexes where that's missing :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Doggone Win, if you keep improving The Book, I'll have to keep buying more copies. But that's OK, because I keep giving copies to employees and interns, and they can have the "old" ones.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

What DTP tool is he/you using? I'll have to see if FrameMaker does this -- it does "continuations" properly for other objects (tables, figures, etc.)

Reply to
Don Y

I imagine it's manual editing of LateX files.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

When reading on a screen, the top of the page isn't always visible, so an additional technique might be helpful: - for every level of indentation, prepend a dot - use the old Microsoft Explorer technique by having faint (feint?) grey lines e.g. | | | | | |-A | | |-B | | |--A | | |--B | | |---A (i.e. ...BBA) | | |-C | | |--A (i.e. ...CA)

I don't know why MS dropped those lines; maybe they wanted to discourage deeply nested folders because of the 264 path character limit.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

..

Footnote 109 says:

The important filter parameter here is not the convert's basic switching frequency, but rather the parasitic RF ringing frequency.

Do you determine the ringing frequency by equation, rule-of-thumb, or direct observation?

Here's a webpage that offers some specifics in regards to European EMI limits.

Don Kuenz KB7RPU

There was an old man in a Time Machine
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Kuenz

That's referring to (b) and (c) in the list above, nearest to the footnote. Referring to Fig. 9.85, the ringing after turn-off overshoot (which corresponds to (b), and a similar effect can occur at turn-on*) is usually a fairly high frequency and amplitude, enough to cause problems. The switching frequency itself is usually low enough not to matter (this example is just above 100kHz -- FCC Part 15 starts at 150kHz, so the fundamental "doesn't matter"), but harmonics and ringing need to be filtered.

Higher frequency converters, and more stringent standards (some go down to

9kHz, with higher limits below 150kHz, as opposed to "don't care"), do need to take account of the fundamental, so the footnote is a little misleading for the general case. *Due to the secondary's leakage, and rectifier capacitance. In this example, turn-on looks to be slow enough relative to those parameters. Namely, the secondary-referred leakage is 77nH, and the diode isn't listed, but it might be a 5 or 10A schottky with 1-2nF average Cjo. So it would resonate at 18MHz, which wouldn't be visible on the trace (and the switch may not turn on fast enough to excite it).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature