New high-temperature super-conductor

This week's Proceedings of the (US) National Academy of Sciences reports a new high temperature super-conductor, with a critical temperature up at 73K (which is still well below room temperature but above the 66K which was the previous peak).

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/25/12156.abstract?etoc

I can get access to the full paper if anybody is interested.

Nobody is talking about making cables out of the stuff yet, or even speculating if it could be made into a conducting lead.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor
On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 05:18:09 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman

Not very interesting, since it is still below 77 K, the  boiling point
of liquid nitrogen.

In addition to the temperature, the other critical parameter is the
maximum current densities supported by any exotic HTS. They tend to
loose superconductivity if too high current densities are used, so
wide sheets of metal is needed to carry a decent current. AC is out of
the question for such cables and even bringing up a DC current can
take a long time.

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

Yeah I don't get the numbers.  YBaCuO's are ~90 K.
(an other higher ones... no idea about the critical currents/ B-fields.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-temperature_superconductivity#YBaCuO_superconductors

George H.

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor
Bill Sloman wrote...

 I thought there were super-conductors that operate at
 much higher temperatures than that, what's the catch?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

You are clearly right. The article is talking about a particular copper-oxide super-conductor and only comparing it with similar compounds, not the YBaCuO compounds that George Herold has reminded me about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

I don't accept the hype about using superconductors for power
transmission anyway. It's not as if the existing transmission
infrastructure wastes that much, and the infrastructure required to keep
cables cool would be hugely expensive.

Seems to be a solution looking for a problem and one that would be
killed by economics.

Sylvia.

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

A superconducting cable has a constant dissipation due to the cooling.
With sufficient power, the cooling losses are smaller than the copper
losses in ordinary HV lines. Unfortunately, the breaking point is
about 10 GW for a few thousand kilometer links. Such power levels
require a few nuclear reactors or something like full scale DESERTEC
solar power system (politically too risky after the Arab spring).

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

Failures would be spectacular and slow to repair.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

So, just like bridges, oil pipelines, and aircraft softwares.
Sounds good, let's do it!

The experience is with liquid helium technoology (too expensive).
A grid-scale application of superconducting links can be economic as
materials and technologies evolve.

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

Superconducting inductor as bulk energy storage, pump energy in and the
current goes round and round and round. Failure would also be
spectacular but most high density energy storage failures usually are

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

One idea was a miles-in-diameter superconducting coil to store energy.

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

One of those megaprojects where I would say the chances between it and a
transatlantic maglev train from New York to London via Greenland, which
will come first, about 50/50. I'm hoping for the train

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

It wasn't too long ago Larkin was singing his praises of brainstorming and how valuable the people who will propose extreme ideas were.  When he hears about someone else running a new idea up a flagpole to see who salutes he has to ridicule it.

Will the maglev train be in a tunnel?  Hopefully it will be more comfortable than a plane.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

It didn't sound like ridicule, exactly. It's a pretty old idea I think.
Only really feasible with "room temperature" superconductors given the
size the thing would have to be to store appreciable energy to make it
worth the time, but all sorts of wild stuff would be possible with a
ductile, machinable room-temperature superconducting material it'd be
one of the greatest discoveries in engineering/materials science
history, surely.

I would expect, even the parts on land would be in a vacuum tunnel of
some kind. To be competitive with air travel times.

The economic advantage would be the enormous number of people a single
train could haul, four trains or so each way per day hauling several
thousand people each would cover pretty much the entire current
transatlantic NYC - London air travel demand

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor
On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Jun 2019 01:49:17 -0400) it happened bitrex

Not just for the sake of arguing, but also from a logic viewpoint,
I think the idea of such a train is bad,
Elon Musk has ideas about high speed trains in tunnels,
maglev or not, a vacuum tunnel or better a tunnel kept vacuum
over such a distance is a ridiculous idea, and you would
need escape places along it in case of the extremely likely emergency
as chances are that it will be hit by some nature based event as flooding, earthquakes, or man made events,
are about 100%.
Planes are simple, supersonic planes (Concorde) have been demonstrated to work,
much cheaper, less maintenance, safer,
Some A380 like plane could carry many people, and if you are not in a hurry take a boat, :-)
Planes will only get better.

I did read an article on science.daily about a new high temperature super conductor
and concluded that that is nowhere near usable.

Do we yet know how exactly super conductors work? electron paring I'v read?

There is a 100% better 'something' invented every so often,
starting with the 100% better battery technology every few weeks.
Much hype that looks for a reach-out for funding.

When in the shops, I will look again.
I have a small YBCO super conductor disk, and can cool it to 70 Kelvin, fun.
Storing energy in it? Never thought about it...
But the setup to cool it is enormous compared to that disk size.

The setup to suck vacuum in a thousands of miles long tunnel is prohibitive.

Planes any time.

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 07:30:13 GMT, Jan Panteltje

A380 was an economic disaster and is soon to be discontinued.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor
On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Jun 2019 07:29:31 -0700) it happened John Larkin

Not a disaster, as long as the whatsisname Arab country was buying those.
The previous poster was talking about 'enormous amount of people on a single train'
A380 is then the way to go via air.
A lot better than well B*oing whatever planes.
:-)

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 15:26:43 GMT, Jan Panteltje

Airbus lost a ton of money on the A380. Production will shut down
soon.

Boeing just got a new order for 200 of the 737 MAX.

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor
On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Jun 2019 10:06:02 -0700) it happened John Larkin

This is reality right now:
 https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-airshow-factbox/factbox-airbus-and-boeing-aircraft-deals-at-paris-airshow-idUSKCN1TL1Y5

Re: New high-temperature super-conductor

Airbus sells twice as much as boing:
 https://www.rt.com/business/462406-airbus-outpaces-boeing-paris-show/

Site Timeline