New definitions of SI units

I think it was something like this,

(well the gravimeter shown in the story.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

This is nice too,

GH

Reply to
George Herold

I wrote Been thinking about that,

So this is how it likely really works Universe (as far as we can observe) expands (ever faster ?) Mach's principle - this indicates other mass is moving ever further away, Local mass decreases. (we do not notice everything changes).

The copies of the Paris kg standard were taken by plane and then later returned. Einstein's twin paradox: for the other masses time ran slower. As the mass in Paris was decreasing, the masses of the other kg objects were also decreasing at the same rate, but for a shorter time. So those were heavier on return to Paris. QED

We need to know the mass difference for each kg that was moved, and the distance, time, and speed it was moved, to verify this.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

WLCG (Worldwide LHC Computing Grid)

WLCG Tiers

WLCG Google Earth dashboard Zoom in to CERN for a real tangle of "grid" network links.

OSG (Open Science Grid)

GRACC (OSG utilization and accounting) CMS and ATLAS are two particle detectors at CERN.

Wow...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

"International Prototype of the Kilogram" There are some comments on the discrepancy under the FAQ tab. It appears in several FAQ questions, but the last question seems to be the most interesting. Nobody knows why, and few care because the amount (50 micrograms) is so small.

My guess(tm) is that it's something in the local environment or the way the various standards are stored. The FAQ mumbles that some of the "official copies" are stored along with the International Prototype, so it can't be the local environment. However, I don't believe that these "official copies" were stored under the same bell jars as the International Prototype, thus making something in or about the bell jars to be my initial suspect.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Nov 27, 2018, Jeff Liebermann wrote (in article):

Platinum has high catalytic activity, so it could be as simple as organic vapor in the bell jar being polymerized into a thin varnish film. The organics could come from the humans that remover the bell jar to access the Prototype.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Yes, but presumably the same humans that handled the International Prototype, also handled the "official copies", which are stored presumably in the same room. I also suspect that such obvious aromatic contaminants such as perfume, cologne, hair grease, aftershave, etc would be well controlled. The only thing that I can contrive that is unique to the International Prototype is its personal bell jar. My initial guess(tm) would be some water vapor or other atmospheric compound that was molded into the glass of the bell jar in

1889. Baking the glass to remove the water was not common practice until lightbulb and vacuum tube filament lifetimes became problems about 100 years later. However, an oxide layer would add to the weight of the International Prototype, not reduce it, so that's not it. It would need to be something in the glass that is corrosive to produce a reduction in mass. I can't contrive such a compound. Even if the glass was full of a corrosive acid vapor, the weight of the resultant salts would remain with the International Prototype and provide an increase in mass. In order for there to be a decrease, the compound would need to somehow need to produce sublimation (transition from solid directly to gas) without leaving anything behind.

It would be interesting to have the bell jar glass analyzed with a mass spectrometer looking for "evaporated" tungsten and iridium atoms. Unfortunately, that would also destroy the bell jar, so that's unlikely to happen. Anyway, we can now shift our attention to the earth gaining mass from meteor impacts, solar wind, and alien visitors, which would affect the local measurement of the acceleration of gravity.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Am 28.11.18 um 19:16 schrieb Jeff Liebermann:

In the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy there was IIRC a planet with excellent cuisine and tourists would gain a lot of weight. To avoid loss of planetary mass, they would readjust the tourists on departure with surgical methods.

:-) Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann