New book project

le LED.

A tunable LED would be useful for lots of things. Nitride LEDs current-tune enough to be obnoxious but not enough to be useful. Phosphide LEDs don't.

?But there

There are white LEDs whose 578-nm output is okay. What there aren't is brig ht coloured LEDs near 578. You can get display-style ones, but that's all.

The band gap changes with stoichiometry and temperature. A strongly peaked spectrum that drifts is a bad neighbour in a measurement like this, because the change in slope effectively pulls the Rx filter's center wavelength. T hat and the nonexistence of bright 578-nm LEDs were the main design constra ints.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

IOW, you fight their perceived ignorance with intentional disinformation. That's known as a lie.

..and you've met them all.

When "they" state something that you don't believe to be true, it "reprehensible". What do you call it when someone makes statements that he *knows* not to be true?

Reply to
krw

A number of my high school friends were mesmerized by all sorts of similar popular mysticism and psychobabble. One particularly brilliant friend fried his brain on drugs. Whatever the '10s rose-colored glasses see, the '60s and '70s weren't pretty times.

Reply to
krw

You got that right.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I see. So the yellow-green emission from this one (

) is likely to be coming from a phosphor excited by the 459 nm line, rather than from a separate chip?

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Yup. Your normal white LED is a blue LED chip surrounded by a plastic cladd ing full of inorganic phosphor particles.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

As a retired scientist with over 30 years in lasers, thermal imaging, and optics, one only needs to add "Handbook" to any book title to make it a must buy for me.

Best of luck,

- Russell Lombardo,

Hi, All,

I've been in touch with Wiley about a new book proposal. It's provisionally titled "Designing Electro-Optical Systems: Figuring It All Out". The editor likes it, so it's gone out for peer review. We'll see what the reviewers say.

I've been having trouble with the subtitle, so it'll probably change--what I want to say is that the book is about the rhythm of the design process, but I haven't found a short way of saying that that doesn't sound pretentious.

It'll be based on about 30 extended examples, loosely modelled on projects I've worked on or consulted for. (I have all these photon budget documents gathering dust, you see.) The idea is to go through the process of gathering rough requirements, generating design ideas, doing photon budgets and first-order optical designs, and choosing between different approaches so as to get the best performance, lowest cost, or some optimal combination thereof.

The other book has several extended examples, but due to its lore-book structure, they've had to be split up across several chapters each, so it's a bit harder to see them as a whole. This one will go through them longitudinally, with references to other sections of the book and to BEOS, to get across the rhythm, rules of thumb, and so on.

The provisional topics are:

Passive systems: photoreceivers, cotton spark detectors, laser noise canceller;

Simple active systems: Cotton velocity sensor, egg blood spot detector, extinction particle detection system, LED plus shadow mask head tracker system

Interferometric systems: original In-Situ Coherent LIDAR (ISICL), with its 10 layers of belt and suspenders; the Mach 9 ISICL including photoreceiver alignment; crossed-beam heterodyne particle counter; phase-sensitive liquid particle detection system; interferometric confocal microscope with deconvolution for another factor of 2 in resolution.

Ultrasensitive measurements: revisit In Situ Coherent Lidar (ISICL, original version) and Mach 9 ISICL (2015 version), extinction particle detection system, Batchelder-Taubenblatt liquid particle detection system;

Electro-opto-mechanical systems: interferometric readout scanning atomic force microscope, magnetic force microscope (including phase tracking)

Systems with a lot of background light: Navy optical link, coherent lidar for vehicles (also interferometric), diffuse light sensors;

Control systems: R-T laser locking, active rejection of spurious reflections;

Spectroscopy: multimode fiber spectrometer, transcutaneous blood glucose sensor, light bulb spectrometer;

Sensors for process control: closed loop lithography linewidth control using diffraction; improved alignment system for wafer steppers, colorimetric sensors for process water in semiconductors and pharmaceuticals; tin droplet detection in EUV light sources for lithography

Simple imaging systems: Footprints $10 thermal IR focal plane array and readout;

Scanning systems: vehicle lidar, compound raster scanning for higher speed;

Colorimetric systems: differential spectroscopic sensor for detecting blood spots in hens' eggs, Ru:BPY sensor for total metals in semiconductor process water using movable Brewster prisms; multipass cell using multiple scatter off the walls of a white painted tube;

Signal processing systems: Modulation generated carrier interrogation of fiber interferometers, ISICL back-wall rejection system using RF modulation of the diode laser

Physical optics imaging systems: optical coherence tomography system, v(z) system, Corle phase sensitive microscope

Mixed technology systems: particle focusing, Fabry-Perot gravity meter, Ru:BPY colorimeter using a moving Brewster prism, all-passive self-aligning solar concentrator;

Advanced interferometric systems: solar heterodyne detection of HF plumes from clandestine uranium enrichment plants

These are all things I've actually designed or worked on, so it's all real-world stuff with real-world track records: some successes, some failures, some never actually built. (I'll need to get permission to publish some of it--suitably adapted to protect client IP--so the roster may change a bit by the time it's done.)

There's quite a bit of background material required, but it's mostly quite specific, and so takes up a lot less space than a general treatise such as BEOS, and of course I can always refer to stuff there where needed.

Since I have most of the hard parts done already, I'm hoping to have it finished by mid-2018, God willing.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
rll_sb

Thanks, that's interesting. I've often wondered why optics seems to spawn more handbooks than any subject besides cooking. ;)

My beef with your average handbook is that it tells you all about techniques X, Y, and Z, but nothing much about which is better for what. I'm trying to do mostly the latter.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"Handbook Of Electro-Optics Engineering Lore"?

Clumsy.

"Handbook of Engineering Lore: Electro-Optics".

Could be the start of a series. Can you get an organization like an engineering school to seek authors for other volumes? ( AFAICT "handbook of lore" isn't part of any copyrighted book title- you're welcome to the above, free and clear. ;>) )

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Current working title is "Designing Electro-Optical Systems: 30 Examples", which is a riff off Win's suggestion.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A wholesalers near my supplied me with some blank metal disks that had been beautifully cut by laser. This is 3mm thick sheet mild steel; nothing special material-wise. But it really is the way to go for a sharp, smooth and accurate finish. What sort and power of laser are we talking to do this kind of operation, d'ya reckon?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

At that thickness it's probably a few-kilowatt CO2 or fibre laser, though I may be out of date on that. They often help it out by using an oxygen jet, which of course lets the steel burn super hot and clears away the swarf. Seems like more recent practice is to use a more powerful laser and air or nitrogen instead.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

How about " Reflections on the art of electro optical design "

A bit long for a title, maybe a subtitle.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thanks.

Maybe for my third book when I'm getting ready to retire, 20 years or so fr om now (God willing). It's a bit too "elder statesman looks back on his car eer" for what I currently envisage.

The first book is "Building Electro-Optical Systems: Making It All Work, 3r d Ed.", so I think "Designing Electro-Optical Systems: 30 Examples" makes a nice companion piece--more concept and narrative, and a bit less full of e xplicit advice.

It'll be built on a skeleton of the photon budgets for the instruments, whi ch I tend to do in a similar style, plus discussions of the alternatives, t radeoffs, and difficulties, and a bit of a coda for each on how the project came out.

They're not all success stories, but I think they have enough points of int erest to hold a technical reader's attention. The editor has both proposals out for review. We'll see!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Big CO2 laser I believe. They get mucked up with crud and have to be dredged every year or so. Like with a backhoe.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany