Neural network film enhancement

A neural network was used to enhance the film quality of "Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat", 1895 to 4k/60 fps:

Reply to
bitrex

Ran across this earlier today.

Pretty CooL ! Great application for this.

I have a couple of applications that I believe neural networks are the answer to.... Hopefully I retire soon enough that I can learn about NN's enough to see if I can get something started.

Reply to
boB

Imagine if it revealed a second gunman in 1963.

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:S0u_F.374143$ snipped-for-privacy@fx48.iad:

What about the guys with the shovels who made that guy disappear?:-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If it doesn't, tweak some parameters and run it again until it does.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Did the NN enhance the sound track too?

NNs are like fuel cells; they are always the technology of the future.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

YEah, they added some sound.

Neural Networks are already being used.

They are real, now.

I still don't know how to make one but have started to learn a wee bit at a time.

Reply to
boB

Alpha Go and Fat Fritz are fundamentally neural network based and in their specific domain of expertise better at it than *any* human. Other groups are using the same method to classify Xrays and smear tests. The time for neural networks taking off big time really is *NOW*.

It has led to an increase in sales of certain high end Nvidia graphics cards which can be subverted as highly parallel NN code accelerators.

Fuel cells possibly are the technology of the future in that you can get both heat and electricity out of them. They are incredibly tetchy about fuel purity and poisoning the catalyst an all too easy and very expensive mistake. I have seen some big setups at a renewable energy fair at Trafalgar Square in London but without a hint of irony the entire exhibition was powered by a bunch of smelly noisy diesel electric generators rather than the clean power they were promoting. The only fuel cells actually running on the day were educational toys :(

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

This pretty well reflects my attitude towards NNs.

Namely that they are a system that we don't understand, based on a weak analogy to a system that we don't understand, so may well be executing magic.

Well, that's a NN. Seems like most people are actually writing computer code that simulates NNs.

I had one itern applicant whose senior project was a real NN, built with opamps and things. He didn't understand anything about it.

Neural Networks are the new Fuzzy Logic, another attempt at magic.

 Click to see the full signature

I'm not a huge NN fan, but they do have their uses. IIRC somebody was using them in drug discovery, where they suggest new molecules.

Sorting through some giant solution space to find possible candidates for actual testing with properly-understood methods is a good fit for NNs, but I sure wouldn't want one driving my car.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They can remove that feature after you buy the car from a third party. Thought you paid for that? Guess again, heh!

Reply to
bitrex

Jaron Lanier calls all AI "a myth". He also calls his home technology - VR - a myth as well.

It's just overwhelming quantities of linear algebra. The big advance was using convolution instead of brute-force matrix multiplication. :)

SFAIK, your car ECM has some form of learning built in, but that may be closer to controls than ML. Learning controls are rather fun, but they seem to scare people.

Well.... it's actually making progress in things like artificial vision. But the big thing to my ear is expanding into things like algebraic geometry, for matching things to models. This is Useful; hedge funds use that a lot.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Where's my Hat!