Networking Groups

I am using Google groups until my laptop situation settles down so I don't have my lists of newsgroups. I can't seem to find a working group for disc ussing networking issues. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to get two PCs to talk over an Ethernet line, direct, no router. I have them wired with fixed IP addresses and can ping one another. I ca n view the hard drive of one from the other. I can't seem to get remote de sktop to work. I had it working once and found it was going over the Wifi link which is not as fast as I would like. When I disconnected that I was not able to make the remote desktop connection work over Ethernet and now I can't get it to work over the Wifi link again.

This should be easy. I had it working on two W2K machines ages ago and W2K was the dark ages of networking. There used to be an excellent site calle d World of Windows Networking, WoWN.com I think. I found what was left of the site at

It seems to be an old archive only covering OS up to XP.

So now all the sources I find tell me to follow the few simple steps which I do and I get no errors, except the connection is never made. It tells me to do simple things like make sure remote access is enabled and the remote computer is on.

It worked once, so everything needed must be there.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Kind of vague there.

Sounds like an operating system problem. you probably need OS-Specific advice.

Jasen Betts

You might have other issues if the user name used on both computers is different.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Helmig was one of the best technical writers I've ever seen, and he kept words to a minimum. If networking books used his wown.com site as an example they'd be a lot shorter and a lot better. When you have to learn something fast to get it done most writers think you want to read

400 pages of prose.

Did you have a firewall installed in win2k? What happens when you disable both firewalls?

If these 2 PC's are not connected to anything but each other, do you need a firewall on them?

Have you heard of the newsgroups at grc.com? That server is separate from usenet, and the groups are better than usenet ever was for networking and computer security.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

A rare talent indeed. That reminds me of 'The C Programming Language' by Dennis Ritchie. You rarely see such clarity like that nowadays. That is why I value reference books written before 1950 very highly (though not for fast evolving subjects like electronics, for obvious reasons).

Cursitor Doom

n't have my lists of newsgroups. I can't seem to find a working group for discussing networking issues. Any suggestions?

ter. I have them wired with fixed IP addresses and can ping one another. I can view the hard drive of one from the other. I can't seem to get remot e desktop to work. I had it working once and found it was going over the W ifi link which is not as fast as I would like. When I disconnected that I was not able to make the remote desktop connection work over Ethernet and n ow I can't get it to work over the Wifi link again.

ich I do and I get no errors, except the connection is never made. It tell s me to do simple things like make sure remote access is enabled and the re mote computer is on.

ows-10/

I wish that were my problem. I have read a number of pages that offer help for this and none quite get past the error. This one talks about being bl ocked by the firewall which I don't think is the case, but I tried turning off both firewalls and it still won't connect. This is before it has a cha nce to complain about the wrong user name or a logon error. The error mess age suggests checking to make sure you are connected and that remote deskto p is enabled on the other end.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Yeah sorry, both ends are windows 10.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

When it worked before I had both firewalls running, but I just tried it again with both firewalls turned off and get the same result.

At lease one PC will be connected to the Internet, but for now I don't need that.

Thanks, I look into that. I'm running out of time today, maybe Tuesday or after. Not sure how much time I'll have the next couple of days. I actually have work for the short term. Need to get orders out.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 6:30:45 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:

[...]

One of the things suggested was configuring the IPv4 connection to use a fi xed IP address so I did that on both computers. I can ping one computer fr om the other, so the connection is good. Also I can view and access files on one computer from the other. It's just RDC that isn't working other tha n that one time.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Make sure Remote access is enabled. Also,make sure the user is in the 'Remote Desktop users' group.

Having the same user/pwd on each computer might make a difference, it does on win7.

Martin Riddle

[...]

Yes, Remote Access is enabled, that's how I got it to work once. What is t he Remote Desktop users' group and where is this set? Or are you saying a user needs to be added to the remote PC? (the one being controlled)

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I see from other posts that you tried the obvious things like firewalls and enabling RDP. Perhaps RDP tries to talk to third parties for some reason? Download and run wireshark on one of the hosts and capture network traffic while trying to connect. Run it on the system from which you originate the connection, but it may also be productive to also run it on the target. The goal is to see what packets are being sent and to where---hopefully the packets might have some protocol error messages.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

What are you gonna' do with it when it works?

RDP blanks the screen on the other end. Not very useful if you need both displays active while linked. RDP has sound.

In the RDP setup page under "select users", there is a permissions window. It should say " already has access" on both ends. If not, give yourself permission.

I've never used the windows firewall, so don't know how to disable it, but that's already been covered. The reason for not working may reside in one of the log files, but I don't know enough to recommend which log file.

As a temporary or permanent solution, you can try VNC. Install on both ends. I like tightVNC. It's cross platform and works with tablets and phones too. I've found that VNC always works, even when windows is being difficult. And it leaves both screens active. That's a big deal for me. I don't have to log out to access the remote from it's user interface. But it lacks sound. IF VNC can't connect, it gives an error message that may be helpful in diagnosing RDP.

If you can't make VNC work, concentrate on the firewalls on BOTH ends.

Reply to
mike