Network Only Accesses Google

I seem to be having a networking problem that only lets me reach www.google .com and groups.google.com. I can't get to mail.google.com or any other we bsite I have tried. This is the same in all three browsers I have tried, F F, Chrome and IE. I can't access email and T-bird doesn't reach the eterna l-september newsservers... so I am back to using g-groups.

I wired directly to the router and to the modem with Ethernet, no change. A netbook I have can access the Internet as usual over the WiFi link. I di d some hunting and found a few ideas such as an MTU setting that was too lo w and resetting the winsock entries and TCP/IP stack. None of that was a p roblem.

I've checked with ping and can get a reply from google.com and others like yahoo.com and altera.com, but I can't access any in a browser other than go ogle.com. Windows network trouble shooting says there is nothing wrong.

Oddly enough I can't even reach the router's setup page at 192.168.0.1 with the affected machine but can with the netbook.

What active groups would be good to ask questions in?

Rick

Reply to
rick.collins.2000

Sounds like the problem is just with that machine, if it wont even see the router.

Poking around in the network properties might tell you something. Maybe even just check the workgroup name on that machine, and reassign it to whatever the LAN thinks the name should be.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

"Poking around" can only be useful if knowledge is applied. I have little in this area, but I have looked at everything I can think of and not found anything that looks wrong.

The problem is clearly with the laptop. Another netbook works just fine and bypassing the router doesn't solve the problem.

I didn't know the workgroup name could be an issue with reaching the Internet. I thought the LAN used IP addresses...? They all seem to be what they should be.

--

Rick
Reply to

The workgroup name should only matter for SMB type traffic on the local network. SMB is Windows for Workgroups networking; printers, remote disks on other computers.

You've somehow lost your DNS. google.com is 216.58.217.46; mail.google.com is 216.58.217.37

Try to ping those by IP address.

Did you somehow end up with a static IP? In that case, you have to specify the DNS server manually.

Try disabling the NIC, unplugging the network cable, plugging it back in, and re-enabling the NIC.

If all else fails, de-install the NIC, do a reboot and reinstall the NIC. It should know where the drivers are.

This sounds worse than it is; it's just a few minutes. On this machine, I can open Windows/File Explorer and type in "network connections" at the top.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

I can ping a lot of URLs. But none will work in the browsers other than a few Google urls in Chrome, I assume because it knows Google addresses.

I can ping altera.com, but I can't ping xilinx.com, I get timeouts.

I can ping both of the IPs you provided.

Not sure what you mean by static IP. My IP from the ISP is static. The IP assigned by the router is set by the router. It was floating but a few weeks ago I set it for a fixed value. But it still shows as floating in ipconfig. Then while playing with all this to get something working I realized that the old IP address 192.168.0.5 kept getting used. It was only when I did an ipconfig /release and /renew that it set the new IP address from the router.

I'm not fond of uninstalling the driver. But I am getting tired of this not working right. Funny that parts keep working and then not working. I'll give it a try. Are we talking about the WiFi driver or the Ethernet driver? I have tried using both interfaces and it didn't make a difference.

--

Rick
Reply to

I'm not so sure it is a DNS issue. When I use nslookup on xilinx.com it finds it. Ping is able to translate the URL to the IP, but it just can't talk to it even if I give it the IP.

It's very strange that the newsreader and email eventually work and get messages. Two different clients, T-bird and Eudora.

So once I uninstall the driver for the Ethernet or Wifi interfaces, will they still show up in device manager so I can reinstall them?

Are there any other newsgroups that might be a better place to get help? I have a few networking groups I am subscribed to, but they have very low usage.

--

Rick
Reply to

I can't say I understand that then. But I'd still go through and try to diagnose this as a DNS problem.

You don't say you're using Windows, but I'm guessing you are.

You can assign a static IP to the NIC on a computer. As part of that, you have to tell the IP stack what DNS servers to use.

So that goes on the cable modem or DSL modem then?

That's DHCP. Part of DHCP is that the DHCP server sets up the DNS servers for you.

I am guessing you have confused the IP stack and it's not operating properly. It happens when you make configuration changes. It's sort of normal - you just have to be able to recover from it.

I would reset all the state data for the interface/NIC by uninstalling the interface and then letting Windows use plug and play to reinstall it.

No, you don't uninstall the driver. You uninstall the device. Go to Device Manager, find the NIC or WiFi device, right click and select "Uninstall".

All the driver stuff is still there. You've "unplugged" from it.

This being said, it might not be a bad time to learn about how to configure the interfaces by hand. That's where "Network Connections" comes in.

and

Try one then the other.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

I agree. I could easily be wrong. But I'd still audit the DNS on your system.

Yes. You may have to do a reboot to make them show up, though.

They're largely dead.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Yes, win8.

I have no reason to set a static IP address on my PC.

Yes.

Yep.

I had done nothing with the IP stack that I am aware of. I don't mess with stuff I have no reason to mess with, especially when I don't know a lot about it.

I had linked my Bluetooth phone to transfer some photos which worked. I've never seen Bluetooth work on a PC without causing some sort of troubles.

Yeah, I did a reboot this morning it seems to be working again.

Thanks for the pointers. I'd rather learn the nitty gritty of networking in my raspberry Pi, not my daily use PC.

I tried the Ethernet first and then the Wifi. Neither made a change until I rebooted this AM.

One thing I can't figure out is the DHCP assigned IP is still not the value I have set in the router. If I use ipconfig /release and /renew I can sometimes get it to the value set in the router. It seems like the laptop or the netbook IP address can be set to the fixed value by the router, but not both at the same time. The floating IP values are

193.168.0.1 through .6 (low numbers) while the values I have set are .97 .98, etc. I do this so the values are known without having to look them up when I do things with the raspberry Pi.
--

Rick
Reply to

Shame. Thanks for the help. I'd still be without Internet if you hadn't helped.

I remember back when I had a W2K machine there was a personal web site called "world of windows networking", wown.com or something like that. It had lots of great help which was also rather educational. I think it was pretty popular and the owner must have sold it because the style changed and it became full of ads. For whatever reason the content was whacked so that it was no longer a very useful site. What a shame.

--

Rick
Reply to

Did you check for the proxy setting? Maybe you have it set up to channel all traffic through a proxy, local or remote ?

I just love how crap software redirects your traffice. It's also possible your traffice has been going through a now downed Proxy to collect info from your machine. Firewalls are a great place to look and see what has been blocked, try turning it off ?

Also, Addware, spamwarem, malware removal tools that many like to run on the task bar 24/7 have also been known to create a large list of blocked address..

It's been a while but, if you look in the System33\drivers\ect\ there you'll fine a few files related to networking, port assignments, redirections, blocks etc... These are text files and can be viewed via note pad and edited.

if you see a cluttered list of IP's that has been directed to a specific IP, like the local one, then may I suggest you has some bad ass software operating...

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

The firewall is and was off. I had to turn it off some time back because it has become harder and harder to use under Win8, Sophos. They will verify checksums on programs accessing the network and if it changes give you a prompt to update the checksum (for the programs that have been updated) or block it as it is now infected. Under Win8 that popup has gone away and you have to figure out yourself what is happening and manually update the app's checksum. Worse, once IE wouldn't work and I updated the checksum without solving the problem. I had to find help to find that IE has two apps, 32 bit and 64 bit and

*both* are invoked when you are running 64 bits. Seems only the first one was being flagged and you had to know to update checksums on both. Very strange.

Finally browsers stopped working and the "fix" from support was to disable any checks on the browsers. Ridiculous! So I turned it all off until I can find something else.

The firewall was reporting that it was not blocking anything. The AVS doesn't stop access without telling you about it very vocally.

I think you are talking about the host file? That was empty.

Reinstalling the adapters fixed the problem once I rebooted. Maybe resetting the stack would have done the job too.

--

Rick
Reply to

Oof. That's nasty.

Excellent.

Yep. It's the same, only different.

Yeah, something got stepped on.

Beats me. I have a range of 50 or so carved out on my WiFi appliance, so it never has been a problem.

Huh. Well, there's always Nmap, which can ping every possible /8 address, then just dump the ARP table - "arp -a" where you typed in "ipconfig".

I had suspicious goings-on and wrote a script to run Nmap, harvest the ARP tables and account for all the MAC addresses at one point.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

No problem mon. My employers paid for me to know this stuff. :)

It's really just knowing the dialog boxes for how to set what on the IP stack. Most of it maps quite well to things from the "ifconfig" command from old Linux ( now called something else ).

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Maybe. I can't tell you what one does that the other does not, other than I am sure some state data is reinitialized with an uninstall/reinstall.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

om

ack

IP

rs

is

0.1

ee

nd

ine

be

?

The problem is back. The culprit is likely the Bluetooth stack. I use a B luetooth enabled speaker and every once in awhile it craps out. The proble m is in the laptop as I can connect to it using my phone. That is the susp ect, the phone. While I was trying to do something with the speaker I conn ected to the phone again and WHACK! The Internet goes out.

Similar symptoms to before. Some sites can be found by

ping ralphsprettygoodgrocery.com

No need to enter an IP address. Other sites return an IP address, but don' t respond to a ping. This time most do respond. Ford.com, chevy.com and a ol.com don't respond to the ping even though they show up in the DNS as 136 .1.107.78, 198.208.73.145 and 149.174.107.97 respectively.

The browsers don't find even the sites that I can get a ping from. Chrome will bring up Google and Google groups (that's how I posting this) and even yahoo games (games.yahoo.com) but not yahoo.com. But this time it will re ach mail.google.com.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wifi adapter. The uninstall is m anual, the reinstall is automatic. I don't even get asked. I did a reboot , but will do another. Then I will try uninstalling the Bluetooth adapter.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I looked at my batch script to reset the IP stack. It contains these two commands.

:: reset winsock entries netsh winsock reset catalog

:: reset TCP/IP stack netsh int ip reset reset.log

When run in admin mode the first one seems to run ok, but the second one craps out with this message.

C:\Download\Equipment>netsh int ip reset reset.log Resetting , failed. Access is denied.

There's no user specified settings to be reset.

Not sure what to make of this. Any ideas? I have verified this is running as admin. When I start the command window it brings up the Windows dialog asking if it is ok to run. I don't get that with a user mode command window.

Rick

Reply to
rick.collins.2000

Oh, that's ugly.

Yeah, it's just memory wreckage from spall from the dadgum Bluetooth driver, sounds like. No rhyme nor reason.

This makes using a wire instead of Bluetooth more attractive, I should think.

Didn't fix it? Grrr....

*sigh*. Good luck with it.
--
Les Cargill
Reply to

So it's deadlocked.

There is a locked resource in the driver chain. I lack much background with netsh. I have always been able to make the following chain of escalation work:

- Disable/reenable

- Uninstall/let PnP reinstantiate the driver chain. with the odd reboot thrown in.

the last may well be "netsh int ip uninstall" and "netsh int ip install" in that order. But I am guessing.

Right.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

On Sat, 6 Jun 2015 21:07:57 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

You have your 'verify use' setting on for the admin thing.

Could 'int' be 'init'?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno