Neodymium magnets are made from Iron

The wonderful magic of neodymium magnets is marketed as a rare earth magnet using expensive Nd. But boron is also in it with

63% Iron

If the Iron is not included, it will not rust of be magnetic. It will be like Copper: nonferrous.

Reply to
Alan Folmsbee

What part of NdFeB didn't you get?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've never seen anyone claim that Neodymium magnets do *not* contain iron. The name is used to highlight the fact that it's the addition of Nd that works the magic and to distinguish it from magnets made from plain old steel and other alloys. Same thing with Alnico which also has a lot of iron in it..

Reply to
Pimpom

Mostly when I've heard them referred to, they have been called neodynium-iron magnets.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not quite. Neodymium's Curie temperature is rather low at 19K but it is antiferromagnetic. When combined with the right amount of iron and boron it forms an intermetallic ceramic compound with huge magnetisation.

Fe14Nd2B

being the most commonly favoured compound formulation.

Almost as strong Samarium Cobalt magnets slightly predate them. (with no iron)

"Rare earth" is something of a misnomer. They are quite common as trace elements in just about everything. So much so that they can be used as a signature for terroir in wines, meteorites and archeological finds.

I know the geologists get really excited by it since the Nd isotope ratio in a rock is a direct indicator of when it was last molten.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

They would also be a lot lighter if you took the iron out.

lunatic fringe electronics

Samarium?

The false advertising puts the amazing item first : pork and beans, Samarium Cobalt. Cobalt is ferromagnetic so it is listed last, after the amazing magnetic magic of Samarium, a nonferrous element.

83% iron in neodymium magnets : so call it neodymium for marketing sexiness.

Reply to
Alan Folmsbee

What's the percentage of salt in salted peanuts?

Reply to
Pimpom

Specificity, rather. Otherwise it'd be iron magnet vs. iron magnet. You don't have to be a marketeer to see the difficulty with that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's essentially what I said in different words in an earlier post. But it seems he chose to ignore it.

Reply to
Pimpom

What's the percentage of salt in OP? I'm guessing 100%.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com