negative voltage generator

Yikes, how can anybody ship a model that wrong? How hard would it be to clamp the internal current sources? Simulated ideal diodes are free! LT Spics has the LOAD component, a current sink that can't deliver power.

OT: LT Spice has some interesting new "SOA" parts. I wonder if the heat sink is simple, or includes diffusion.

lunatic fringe electronics

Racist :^)

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

Here's the single, AD8033.

Nice 1 us comparator.

Most RRO amps come off the rails fast and clean. The compensation is usually sort of a Miller cap or two, right at the output pin, so there is no internal node to wind up. That also makes a lot of them more c-load stable than you'd expect.

The low saturation is POSITIVE 17 mV.

Great little amp. Not your dad's uA741.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Rectifying AC with diodes is no fun. Anybody can do that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I copied the ADI opamp library from XVII into a folder and ran AD8034 in LT V4. Just .LIB the library, and use the opamp2 part, renamed to AD8034A.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nice. Of course my Dad never had a uA741, though I did buy one with my allowance once. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, do like Cockcroft and Walton ... imagine, a Beowulf cluster of diodes !

Reply to
whit3rd

Grin, right, because you can. I've got one RRIO opamp in stock, but I've never looked at the edges... I use it in the boring old way. (opa192)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

In 1991 I spent a month's summer job's wages on an external 2400 baud modem, 18 months later I found a 9600 baud external modem in the high school's dumpster. :|

Reply to
bitrex

Too modern. I invented a version that uses relays. Phil named it the Harpo Marx Generator.

lunatic fringe electronics

I dug ditches for a week to earn enough for a 6146. I took it out of its box to see it, fumbled it and it dropped.

I dug ditches for another week to buy another one:)

Reply to
Steve Wilson

My uncle Sheldon had a TV repair shop, and a shed full of stolen military electronics, so I had an infinite supply of free parts.

I did spend money on transistors and tunnel diodes and Heathkits. A CK722 cost a few dollars, big bucks for a kid.

lunatic fringe electronics

you could do it without diodes too. Nothing but relays & Cs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've got lots of those, CK722.

I made money for bits by buying or finding & fixing & selling electronics. First purchase was a bag of random outdated parts, wish I still had it, some nice history pieces in that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Pretty soon you'd arc over the contacts.

A classic resistor-charged Marx would work with just SPST relays.

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, if going high you would need wide contact spacing, resistance to limit peak current & at some point arc quenching. And probably replaceable chunky contacts.

You could motorise it all, do away with the square wave input then.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I transitioned to transistors as soon as they became available.

I was very dismayed at how easy they died. No glowing white hot plates with holes growing in the side, the slightest mistake and they were gone.

I was convinced they were a fad and would not last.

A monumental blunder!

Reply to
Steve Wilson