Need to find a replacement fan motor

Hello all. Long time no post - been busy...

I need to locate a suitable replacement blower (fan) motor for:

Power Cat 1200XL Motor #: 7126-1094 Lable says the whole unit was manufacturered by Marley Engineering Products (Bennetsville, SC). I called them today, but they don't have a replacemen t motor, and checking around a few links, this seems to be "unobtainium".

Which... I find really hard to believe since this seems to have been a very popular product back in the say (circa 2000). In fact, Grainer and a few others still have them in the catalog, and lots of places to get them new o nline.

Here's what the portable blower looks like:

I haven't disassembled it yet to see if there are any other nameplate marki ngs on the motor itself. The above info is from the nameplate on the fan's exterior.

The motor is seized - not sure I should complain after 15 years of service (?), but I suspect it may not have been oiled regularly. This has been a f antastic unit (no pun intended), and I would really like to breathe new lif e into it. (Sorry, could not resist that 2nd pun.)

Anyone know of a reliable way to cross-reference this motor #?

It may ultimately turn out to be not worth fixing, economically, and if so, then so be it. It's mostly metal and can certainly be recycled, but seems a shame if it comes to that. Just browsing online, I see prices for new u nits ranging from $280 to well over $700. So, if I have to go shopping for a new one, comparing apples-to-apples looks like that may be the next hurd le.

As always, thanks in advance!!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

[...]

A lot of similar motors can be restored by simply dissemble and clean and relube the bearings, from the picture they would probably be bush type (sintered bronze) and if not worn the relube should be all that's required.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I was thinking the same, Disassemble and clean. I do that often with fan motors. If its really hard to find and worth repairing, then a local electric motor repair shop could rebuild it. It's not hard, I rewound an old GE fan motor not too long ago. The bobins are the hard part.

Martin Riddle

Agreed. I have a similar motor in a portable fan. I don't use it much except when I have to evacuate the room air after a failed kitchen chemistry experiment. The usual problem is either the oil in the bushings turns to molassas or something gets in between the armature and stator (usually a bug) and jams the armature. Either way, I just take it apart, clean out the accumulated crud, add some "turbine oil", and it works until something else crawls inside.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

As has already been said, try lubricating the bearings first. If that doesn't work...

There are several standard shapes and sizes for small motors. You can measure what you have and compare it to a list of NEMA frame sizes, such as

to decide what frame size it is. Then go shopping for one in that frame size with the same horsepower, RPM, and rotation. If you don't know the horsepower, the manual
says it is 4.0 A, so it can't be any more than about a ((4.0 * 120) / 746) or 2/3 horsepower motor. More likely it is 1/2,

1/3, or maybe even 1/4 hp. This is on high speed; low speed will be less.

This page

describes that part number as "Motor Psc", which probably means Permanent Split Capacitor. The Marley manual shows a 5 uF, 370 V capacitor, so this may even be plausible. It is probably a 2-speed motor.

FASCO probably makes something that fits. HVAC supply places will have these motors, or another brand that they can cross-reference to the FASCO part number.

Note that the motor may call for a slightly different capacitor; the HVAC place will also have those in stock.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds