Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

  It's been 10 years since I've ask, so here it is again, has anyone
come across a manual for an Exact 7030 signal generator?
  It has an output above the 100kHz setting, no output below
100kHz.
                             Mikek

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

None that I could find for free.   Here's one for $20.
<http://www.jetecnet.com/others.html
There was a 7030 that sold on Ebay in Australia last week for $20, so
buying the manual for the same price doesn't seem very profitable.

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030
  Ya, I won't spend a lot, so far I replaced a bridge, filter cap and
predriver in the -24v regulator with parts on hand.
                             Mikek

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

My guess(tm) is the range switch, or one of the components attached to
the range switch, is the problem.  If there's a string of resistors
daisy chained around the rotary switch wafer, one of the resistors
attached to the 100K range position is open.

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030
  Possibly, It is set up two sided, the wafer switch has double of all
the resistor in two sections of the wafer switch.
  My early teats say one side has the problem.

btw, don't connect the scope ground to these units. (At least mine)
It shuts down the power indicator light. I don't know what else, it
didn't blow a fuse are make any sparks and nothing changed after doing that.
  It will get set aside this week, got to organize my tax paperwork by
Saturday. Really fun stuff :-(
        Mikek

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

Wein bridge oscillator.  The corresponding resistors on each wafer
should be identical.  Dig out the ohms-guesser and look for mismatched
values.

Incidentally, some days I almost wish I didn't have a schematic.  I'm
working on four Wavetek/CT/SSI 3000 and 3000b service monitors.  I
have two printed manuals (one original from the factory), and 3
different scans that I downloaded or purchased.  All are different and
none of them match any of the 4 units exactly.  I've spent more time
reconciling discrepancies and dealing with errors (no errata included)
than I have actually fixing them.

I also had a related problem when I was doing marine radios.  The very
last thing to get shipped was the service manual.  Typically, the
service manual would be ready 6 months after the first radios went to
the customers.  For those 6 months, there would be few field failures
and no tech oddities that bordered on supernatural phenomenon.  Then,
the manuals and schematics were shipped, and radios were returned
mistuned, miswired, burned up, broken, and with associated mysterious
problems.  Once the dealers got the schematics and were able to do
real damage, there was no end to the problems.  Much as I detest not
having schematics to fix things, I can see the point of hiding them
from the other side of the fence.

Incidentally, California has Civil Code Section 1793.03 which
proclaims that repair facilities are entitled to schematics, parts,
and info for 3 years.
<http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group01%001-02000&file17%92-1795.8
   ...shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient
   service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a
   product for at least three years after the date a product model
   or type was manufactured...
The responses I've received from manufacturers over this law are not
suitable for a general audience.

Ummm... Please remember that you have but one life to give.  Premature
death is natures way of telling you that you screwed up.  I have an
isolation xformer on my bench for working on dubious devices and
switching power supplies.  I suspect it has saved my life at least
once.

I prefer to procrastinate to the last moment.  It makes no sense to
give the government my money 1 msec early.  Lie, cheat, steal,
fabricate... whatever works best.

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030
snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com says...

 Oh come on, we are all men aren't we? Well most of us here, that is!)

Jamie

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:21:02 -0500, "Maynard A. Philbrook Jr."

Well, the only one I consider suitable for public consumption was that
one I received from Best Buy when they informed me that they could not
obtain the parts needed to fix a fridge that they sold me and that I
will need to purchase a new fridge.  The warranty did not include
replacement if unrepairable.  Their answer was "sue us".  So, I did,
or rather I went through the motions of preparing a small claims
lawsuit[1].  I'll spare you the details, but Best Buy caved in
immediately when I shoved the letter of the law in their face and gave
me a brand new fridge, which so far has survived for about 5 years.

Incidentally, 1793.03(b) is why Apple assassinates old products after
7 years in California, but after 5 years everywhere else:
   Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to
   an electronic or appliance product (...) shall make available
   to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature
   and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at
   least seven years...
<http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1752

Most of the other undiplomatic responses came from various vendors and
manufacturers when I pressed them on behalf of a customer.  I do that
quite often, where I represent the customer in dealings over a
defective product.  I usually can reach a suitable compromise or deal.
However, a small number suggest that I do a physical impossibility to
myself, which I believe is unsuitable for a general audience.

[1]  It was actually more complexicated.  The warranty was serviced by
a company in Texas(?).  In theory, I would need to sue them in Texas.
Best Buy probably knew this, but to their credit assumed full
responsibility.

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

  Got tired of tax paperwork.

Set the Exact on the bench removed the ground connection from
the isolation transformer. Then I noticed everything is working.
I'm driving the scope and a frequency counter.
So I removed the isolation transformer with power cable ground pin still
open, works fine, inserted ground and then it has a problem.
  There is a link to connect earth/chassis ground to the power supply
common, that is open.

This ground problem seems wrong, I have an HP651B on my bench and never
had any ground issues, what good is the Exact if I have disconnect the
ground to use it.

There is 7.5 kohms of resistance between the earth ground and power
supply common.
  I see nothing on the schematic to cause this.
I think this is a defect but I don't want to chase it, if it is normal.

Any thoughts?

                       Mikek

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

  I found it! one of the case mounted regulator transistors had
found a way to leak through the insulator.
Put in a small piece of Sil-Pad and the ground problem is fixed.

                              Thanks all,
                                        Mikek

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

 I had an exact problem with a HP 1 Ghz signal generator, a power
transistor in the back cause intermittent start up problems.

 I got this from Ebay and I went inside one day to clean up a knob and
noticed the screws were just a little loose on this one transistor, so
 I commenced to tighten it. Things seem to be find but I noticed there
afterwards that I was getting intermittent start up problems where I
would have to restart it a couple of times. I went back in there and
fired it up when it was cold and probe back to the same transistor, I
replaced the insulator..

 Apparently this happens from heat contraction/expantion over time of
start ups and it got thin, I put a mica type in.

Jamie

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

Nicely done.  Kinda sounds like this Exact 7030 might have been
previously repaired.  Sil-Pads don't cold flow unless you radically
overtighten the 4-40 mouting screw.  The usual culprit is a cracked
insulating shoulder washer caused by an over tightened 4-40 screw.  If
you didn't replace the shoulder washer, you're going to experiencing
that shorted feeling again.

Remember, you have but one life to give for your hobby.

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030
  Sorry the silpad didn't fail, I replaced a Mica that failed with
Silpad, cause that's what I have. Odd that I had 7.5 Kohm of resistance
ground to common, hmm, maybe not, it was the +24v supply shorted to
case/earth ground, so makes some sense. Yes, this unit has obviously
been repaired before, it looks looks like some of the caps came from
Radio Shack. At least one of the regulator transistors is an ECG sub.
I don't know what else has been replaced.
  It has some kinda neat functions, you can change the symmetry of the
triangle wave, so it can be ramp up then straight down or straight up
then ramp down or a triangle. The same symmetry adjust when in square
wave mode sets the duty cycle. I don't like the fact that it doesn't
have a detent at the 50/50 point.
  The adjustments ask for a 1000 megaohm meter. I'm in no hurry to start
an alignment. I'm not sure 10 meg is going to affect most adjustments,
but some of the frequency setting resistors are 10 megaohms.

                   Mikek

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

So much for subtlety.  Use an isolation xformer when working on
devices with potentially defective power supplies.  I used to have a
melted scope probe hanging on the wall of my shop as a reminder.

Silpad or mica, it doesn't matter if they're intact.  I was worried
about the insulating shoulder washer.  They're easily cracked or
crushed.

Look for the sloppy soldering on foil side of the PCB.  Also, check if
the values have changed from the original schematic.  I sometimes find
amazingly creative part substitutions.

I've never seen a 1 gigaohm resistor.  Sounds like a misprint.

Wash those down with a brush and alcohol.  If the resistors are carbon
composition, I would expect some value changes due to aging.

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

You can buy them easily. Or buy 10 10G resistors and put them in
parallel.

--sp

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

Yep 100G out of the Farnell catalog IIRR. And there is a 1T in my
Keithley electrometer.

--

John Devereux

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030
On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:00:09 +0000, John Devereux

Thanks.  I didn't think such high values were needed but the list of
typical applications certainly covers a wide assortment of uses.
<http://www.silverlight.ch/resistors.php
However, now that I think of it, I did have to deal with some giga ohm
resistors in a first generation tube type "sniper scope" image
intensifier.  A finger print will ruin it, so it was rubber gloves and
alcohol cleaner.

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

I have a couple of HP3478A DMMs. They quote >10^10 ohms, 3V range, and
below.

My venerable Keithley 610 electrometer is >10^14 ohms on all voltage
ranges, (or it was when it was new).

1G input impedance has been pretty pedestrian for years.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030
On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:32:11 -0700, Fred Abse

A picture is worth 1,000 excuses:
<
http://discospock.com/humor/placards/Danger_20E6_Ohms_v4.gif

<http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic12%1448.0>

Re: Need Schematic for an Exact 7030

It says that you need a modern digital meter (or a VTVM). An input
resistance of over 1 Gohm should be OK.

--

-TV

Site Timeline