Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier - Page 3

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
by far, most of the power is in the bass drum and guitar below 100 Hz.

Take those away and you need 10 to 15 dB less.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

From which came the ENIAC, and what we use as computers today.

  The Bomb was for decrypting the Enigma, but artillery computation desires
are responsible for our programming roots and our hardware device roots.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 16:41:03 +0000 (UTC),

ENIAC was originally just a manually reprogrammable calculator, only
much later it was capable of execute stored programs.

This was also just a preprogrammed special purpose calculator.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
4ax.com:

  That "MANUAL program" was for calculating artillery trajectories.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

I've been zapped through my chest (front to back) with 100J five times
and 300J once (I have calibrated the burn marks).  I was awake for #5.
That *hurt*.

That's not counting the bypass/MAZE (in '14).  No idea if it was
needed but #2 was a week later.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Ouch.  I've never needed to have my heart restarted with the paddles.
I'm told it's no fun when it happens.  Several of my friends have
pacemakers with built in defibrillators installed.  If the heart
misses too many beats or fails to follow a medically acceptable
rhythm, they get automatically zapped.  I'm told it feels like getting
hit in the chest with a baseball bat, which also seems like no fun.

Stay well.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

It's never supposed to be done to someone who is still conscious.
Ever.  They weren't happy when I told them about it the next day. "We
didn't think you'd remember...".  Yeah, right.

My brother has one.  He likens it to being kicked in the chest by a
mule.  I have a pacemaker because of electrical problems but didn't
need the cardioverter/defibrillator version.  Apparently the need for
a pacemaker runs in the family.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Pulsed laser people.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

50%

  Ahhh...  to say.. impinge a tiny burn on a cornea or lens, as opposed
to punching a hole right through it and the retina/eyeball behind it.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

No matter how it's done, the problem is still finding roadies who can
move it.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:55:54 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"

Did you catch the part about using diesel train engines?  They run on
railroad tracks.  No need for a caravan of trucks, when railroad cars
will do as well or better.

When the diesel electric locomotive is not moving railroad cars
around, it can be driving the air compressors, or if desperate
powering the electronics needed for the sound system.  Most
diesel-electric locomotives deliver 3000 horsepower or 2.2 megawatts.
So, a 200 megawatt amplifier (assuming 50% efficiency) would require:
   200*10^6 / 2.2*10^6 = 91
locomotive engines to power the amplifier and probably a similar
number of tank cars to keep the locomotives supplied with diesel.
That's a fairly long train, but is still better than a caravan of
trucks carrying the same engines, compressors, or generators.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

The tracks won't run right up to the concert hall, but I guess it isn't
necessary to carry the amp all the way to the concert, since they will
hear it anyway.  But then the band will have to play at the tracks.
Nothing left for the roadies to do.  Hopefully they don't have a union.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

tubes.

This is the point at which the 'tour' participants *and* audience comes
to your venue, every time.

  Hey I know!  Rebuild Red Rocks to accommodate 2 1MW stereo speaker
stacks.

  Set up another 2 1MW units for surround sound and you could create a
sound pressure swing that vaporizes the audience. (compresses them into
the quantum realm).

  Hahaha...  yeah, sure...

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

An old prof told of working on a WWII airborne PA system to
warn civilians about a pending attack. They ended up with a
compressed air driven horn modulated with a slotted plate for a
valve, modulated.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

here mechanical sirens were in use until 1993 and to make sure they
worked they were tested every Wednesday at noon, now they are electronic
and only tested with sound once a year

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Mount the control rods on large long throw speaker coils, use the valve amp
 to drive those. No, won't work, steam doesn't have much frequency response
. Maybe use the generators of a nuke plant in amplidyne mode. You'd need to
 make some custom ones to cover the higher frequencies if this is for audio
 - I hope it's not.

For speakers, air horns work but they're hissy. The hiss was a real problem
 with early powered gramophones. I'd think at 1MW it would be intolerable.

Plasma works but IIRC the efficiency is terrible. Maybe you could build a c
lingfilm factory & make an electrostatic speaker that floats over the natio
n's powerlines. Or maybe you could use lots of little explosive charges in
class D mode - that way you get lots of additional amplification in the spe
akers, since a megawatt is barely sufficient.

Or you could do a conventional valve amp after buying ebay & misappropriati
ng every valve, transformer and so on on there over a 5 year period. You'd
need some ruse as to why sellers have posted their valves but won't get com
pensated for 5 years. Maybe introduce a new payment protection scheme that
requires a vast number of ID checks, then joining a compensation queue that
 pays out at a dribble etc. Keep reminding them it's late or never. Add a c
entral warehouse stocking system that automatically 'disposes' of the goods
 after 6 months of no sale, won't return the goods, and find ways to mess w
ith the bids.

Happy dictating.

NT

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

There are some thousands-of-PSI multi-horsepower hydraulic servo
valves that get into the hundreds of Hz. Hydraulic bass drivers?

I'm always impressed by big hydraulics. They move mountains, usually
with reversed mechanical advantage. But my knees work with reversed
mechanical advantage; if I lift a hundred pounds, my muscles must be
pulling tons.

I wonder why so many guys fanticize about being rock stars. Sounds
dreadful to me.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 13:04:40 -0800, John Larkin

There are also "digital" hydraulic valves so you do not even need a
DAC, just do the SPDIF serial/parallel conversion and control the
different bits to different size "bit" valves directly :-).

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
amp to drive those. No, won't work, steam doesn't have much frequency respo
nse. Maybe use the generators of a nuke plant in amplidyne mode. You'd need
 to make some custom ones to cover the higher frequencies if this is for au
dio - I hope it's not.

hydraulics are just control & gearing, but it's a way to use a cheap high p
ower drive, the compressor.

Sounds great to people with no other opportunities. Not stuck in an office
all day, saying yes sir yes sir for a bit above minimum wage. Most buy into
 the money wasted on superficial junk thing. I prefer to do something usefu
l.

NT

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

The fraction of people with enough musical talent to be stars is in
the parts-per-million.

What's the SPL where air goes nonlinear, where the negative peaks hit
vacuum? That 100 megawatts wouldn't work on any rock-concert
soundstage.

lunatic fringe electronics

Site Timeline