Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

The only such schematic ever reported to have been created, is said to
be carved into the rocks of a dank cave located in the troll-infested
foothills on the east side of the Mountains of Delusion.

No one who has gone looking for it, has ever returned to tell the
tale.  Presumably, each explorer was eaten by a grue.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
snipped-for-privacy@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt) wrote in news:9lqkbf-99v.ln1
@coop.radagast.org:

  No, they were eaten by 3 GW (that's "Jy"-"Gah""Watt") Speaker Cones!

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Shouldn't you design the nuclear reactor first?

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

You might have to compromise a bit and run it class B though. I hope
that's alright. It'll sound okay in the cheap seats but true audiophiles
won't be impressed.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

  The power line cord alone would cost 5 Ounces of Gold per foot.  All
other currency not accepted.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

 I don't think the neighbors would be impressed, either.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

There won't be any neighbours.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Ummm, maybe not "impressed", but I'd bet they'd be "blown away" -
literally!

In a more practical vein, let's see, the biggest tubes I know about are
something like the 4CX100,000, so you'd need to parallel something like
1000 of these tubes to deliver that power.  These tubes cost something
like $50,000 or maybe $100K each, so that's 100 Million right there.  The
output transformer would be the size of a utility substation transformer,
but wound with Litz wire, so you'd have to radically up the cost.  It
would have a HELL of a turns ratio, for 18KV on the plates and 8 Ohm
output.  So, the output would be bus bars several feet square, I'd think.
Can't imagine what a voice coil for that would look like.

Also, the plate cooling system would be plenty impressive.

At the National Superconducting Cyclotron Center, they run 2 big
cyclotrons together, and the plate supply is 42-46 A at 18,000 V.
(That's roughly 3/4 megawatt.)  It certainly impresses the HELL out of me!

Jon

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

https://www.cpii.com/docs/datasheets/78/8974.pdf

says it'll do 2MW AF in class AB

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

 That makes the 100MW tube amplifier project viable, given enough funding
to buy all the supporting infrastructure to go along with the expense of
the hundred and thirty two 8974/X-2159 valves (tubes) required to create
a class B push/pull bridge output amp with 33 paralleled tubes making up
each of the four elements in the bridge output circuit to drive your
100MW rated 4.6 ohm speaker load directly.

 Mind you, that still leaves you with the problem of making up a bi-polar
+/-11KVdc 4.6KA HT supply and arranging a suitable connection to the grid
- 33 or 66KV to 11KV three phase 200MVA transformer anyone? :-)

 TBH, this looks like a project requiring the services of the "Planetary
Engineering Corp."(tm) (Motto: "You give us the job and we'll do the
tools.")

--
Johnny B Good

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 19:53:12 GMT, Johnny B Good

The interesting question is, how to make a 100 MW speaker (not just
PMPO :-). I guess you could have to use tubing for the voice coil and
run liquid nitrogen or helium through the coil to dissipate the heat.

In order to avoid the output transformer, one would have to minimize
the amplifier output impedance but still need a very high impedance
speaker. You can get the output impedance low e.g. with parallel
connected triodes.

If you are forced to use multiple speakers, put them in series (with
some mutual resonance issues). Old OTL stages might need 1000 ohm
speakers, so it would be easy to obtain the needed load impedance.

That is the easy part. Even quite large power plant generators have
only 5-20 kV output voltages so a 10/400 kV transformer is needed to
feed the national grid. Look for a dismantled coal fired power plant
and run the transformer in reverse directly from the 400 kV national
grid.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Got it! Finally a commercially viable solution. Take a pocket radio & relab
el it 100MW PMPO. If you rearrange all the atoms in the 9v battery & power
capacitor, lob it into the temperature of the sun & you should get that 100
MW. So it's a justifiable claim. Better glue a small valve into a convenien
t gap somewhere. Or just find a radio that's tube shaped.

NT

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

If the request from the OP would have appeared 25 years earlier, it
would have been much cheaper to implement. Just take some ex-Radio
Moscow transmitters and ex-Sovjet union jammers, apply a rectifier
(envelope detector) or just use their high power AM modulator (audio)
amplifiers.These would have been cheaply available just after to
collapse of the Soviet Union.

Anyway, it is a stupid idea to build a huge power amplifier and then
use a passive crossover to drive speakers for different frequency
bands. A much better approach is to use "small" (20 MW) amplifiers to
feed speakers with only one octave range. In fact horn speakers can be
quite clean if you feed just one octave into properly dimensioned
speaker.

If the OP wouldn't be too eager to use only tubes all the way, I would
just use medium voltage (e.g. 3 kV) VFD (Variable Frequency Drives)
for the lowest octaves. Just fiddle with the feedback loop frequency
response, but otherwise some few megawatt VFDs are available off the
shelf. for the lowest octaves.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

I'm thinking 10,000,000 6L6's.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
   I presume you will use plasma amplifiers and plasma speakers.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
I have one for 900KW if that's any good... can't you lower your sights a
bit ?

---

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

That's only .5dB short of the spec.  He won't even hear the
difference.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
20.45dB - you missed two zeroes.

Probably true, he'd be mincemeat either way

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 13:24:14 +1100, Clifford Heath

My eyes skipped right over them.  ;-)