Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes.

Reply to
guitar-lead

The only such schematic ever reported to have been created, is said to be carved into the rocks of a dank cave located in the troll-infested foothills on the east side of the Mountains of Delusion.

No one who has gone looking for it, has ever returned to tell the tale. Presumably, each explorer was eaten by a grue.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Shouldn't you design the nuclear reactor first?

Reply to
bitrex

You might have to compromise a bit and run it class B though. I hope that's alright. It'll sound okay in the cheap seats but true audiophiles won't be impressed.

Reply to
bitrex

I presume you will use plasma amplifiers and plasma speakers.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have one for 900KW if that's any good... can't you lower your sights a bit ?

TTman

snipped-for-privacy@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt) wrote in news:9lqkbf-99v.ln1 @coop.radagast.org:

No, they were eaten by 3 GW (that's "Jy"-"Gah""Watt") Speaker Cones!

Reply to
DLUNU

bitrex wrote in news:VyPFD.170621$ snipped-for-privacy@fx20.iad:

The power line cord alone would cost 5 Ounces of Gold per foot. All other currency not accepted.

Reply to
DLUNU

You are the lead guitarist for Disaster Area and I claim the five quid.

Cursitor Doom

I don't think the neighbors would be impressed, either.

Reply to
doh

Didn't we do this one last month?

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Reply to
Ian

So the entire world can hear you banging away on a guitar?

lunatic fringe electronics

I'm thinking 10,000,000 6L6's.

lunatic fringe electronics

No problem and no vacuum tubes required. A few diesel train engines driving air compressors feeding a big Wagnerian horn should do the trick. Modulation would be by pneumatic valve control, fluidics, or hydraulic modulators. The audio frequency spectrum would need to be split into octave sub-bands, each with their own diesel train engine, compressor, and narrow band modulator. The lower frequencies will require more air and larger engines. The horn end of the puzzle was previously discussed in this newsgroup:

Back of envelope power requirements might be: 100 mega-watts for 1 second = 100 mJ Diesel fuel contains 36 mJ of energy per liter. Diesel at $1/liter. Assuming the amplifier is running class A, the best it can do is 50% efficiency. My guess the diesel train engine, air compressor, and modulator might operate at about 1% efficiency. Therefore, to operate your amplifier of 1 second, it would require: 100 mJ/sec / 36 mJ/liter / 0.5 / 0.01 = 556 liters/sec = 33,000 liters/minute At about $1/liter retail price of diesel: your amplifier might burn about $33,000 USD for every minute of operation.

Perhaps it would be easier to audio modulate or power the amp with a hurricane: Looks like a commodity hurricane will produce 1.5*10^12 watts/day. At

50% amp efficiency, 10,000 of your amplifiers that require 200*10^6 watts each could easily be run by hurricane power. All you need is a very big wind turbine, some advanced mega-engineering, and the GDP (gross domestic product) for about a year to pay for it.

Also, good luck finding a location where you can safely test your amplifier.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

There won't be any neighbours.

Cursitor Doom

Mount the control rods on large long throw speaker coils, use the valve amp to drive those. No, won't work, steam doesn't have much frequency response . Maybe use the generators of a nuke plant in amplidyne mode. You'd need to make some custom ones to cover the higher frequencies if this is for audio - I hope it's not.

For speakers, air horns work but they're hissy. The hiss was a real problem with early powered gramophones. I'd think at 1MW it would be intolerable.

Plasma works but IIRC the efficiency is terrible. Maybe you could build a c lingfilm factory & make an electrostatic speaker that floats over the natio n's powerlines. Or maybe you could use lots of little explosive charges in class D mode - that way you get lots of additional amplification in the spe akers, since a megawatt is barely sufficient.

Or you could do a conventional valve amp after buying ebay & misappropriati ng every valve, transformer and so on on there over a 5 year period. You'd need some ruse as to why sellers have posted their valves but won't get com pensated for 5 years. Maybe introduce a new payment protection scheme that requires a vast number of ID checks, then joining a compensation queue that pays out at a dribble etc. Keep reminding them it's late or never. Add a c entral warehouse stocking system that automatically 'disposes' of the goods after 6 months of no sale, won't return the goods, and find ways to mess w ith the bids.

Happy dictating.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Jeff,

There is some difference between 1 mJ and 1 MJ.

--

-TV
Reply to

Yep. mY mistake. I obtained the conversion factor from: which uses: "mJ = mega-Joules"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Probably with the logic of "who uses millijoules?"

I mean... I know the measure exists.

How much energy do the little two inch pads they use for open heart surgery defib?

It is easily an order of magnitude less than the externally applied defib. Those hit you with anywhere from 100 to 400 joules in a pop.

The little guys must just do a few joules each pulse.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yep: "Open chest defibrillation during cardiac surgery: Energy and current requirements"

Looks like there's a choice of 5, 10, or 20 Joules to restart the heart with some repetition. I had a triple bypass done in 2002. I remember the 10 Joules figure, but I'm not sure how many times I was zapped. I think it was 3 times with the surgeon later mentioning that he was worried. I suspect that the difficulty getting my heart kick started might be responsible for my inability to properly abbrev.