Need high speed RS232 interconnect

Hi All,

I need a RS232 (PC to embedded device) interconnect/interface that support 460.8Kbps/921.6Kbps ( higher is better )

Thank you very much!

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

YW.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear =E5=AF=AB=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

In fact, I buy a USB to UART converter yesterday, the title said it support 1Mbps.. when I installed to PC... it only support 12800Kbps for maximum...

so, I give up USB.. I try to find PCI. And then I found SUNIX's PCI RS232 card.

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

Boki =E5=AF=AB=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

ADM3202

Reply to
Boki

Looks fine. Twice as many transceivers as you need but the price makes up for it. Oh but only 460kbps.

You could use this as 1mbps transmitter.

And there's a matching receiver.

But if you're clever you could use some passives to make your own receiver to save cost.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear =E5=AF=AB=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

or

for it. Oh but only 460kbps.

r to save cost.

Thank you very much to consider the cost, but right now, this is for my development tool only.

and my app needs two way communication....=20

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

The FDTI integrated circuits would work for your requirement, although as I recall, you probably need USB2 on your computer to support the higher speeds. If you use RS485, this website claims up to 3 MB data rate.

960 KB for RS232 if you want RS232.

Jim

--
11:11 Pacific Time Zone
May 29 2006

FTDI devices are USB 1.1 (you can connect them to a USB2 port, but they still only run at 12 MBit). They'll do 1 MB RS-232, or 3 MB RS-485 or TTL level (i.e., they can do signalling at 3 MB, but RS-232 drivers are limited to 1 MB).

Reply to
David

Jim skrev:

you don't need usb high speed to do 1Mbps. The FTDI FT232 will do 921.6Kbps but windows won't always let you configure a serial port to anything but the

Reply to
langwadt

Is your target device doing +12/-12V device operation .. ? or TTL?

Reply to
pbdelete

"Boki" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Key thing, is that it is unlikely that the embedded device is 'RS232', if it supports this high a data rate. RS232, is an electrical signalling spec, _not_ the specification for asynchronous serial data, which the term is often used (incorrectly) for. I'd strongly suspect that the embedded device is 'TTL serial', _not_ 'RS232', since this is beyond the specified rates supported by RS232, and even using extrapolation from the RS232 figures, the cable lengths that would be supported at this rate, would be tiny. Hence, making the assumption, that what is needed is actually TTL asynchronous serial, _not_ 'RS232', then the second question is whether the device actually supports this rate without handshaking. Few devices an handle this sort of rate continuously. Now looking at the USB interfaces that mny posters have mentioned. A lot of such devices support high interface rates like this, but only on the local interconnection. Most USB-RS232 adapters, are at heart USB HID devices, and even those supporting 'high speed' operation, will only achieve 64,000Bps max, and therefore will have trouble handling a serial bus over 640,000bps. Above this, they only transfer at these rates for a short moment, till the buffer is full, and if 'RS232' signalling is used, the maximum cable lengths are then only a few inches to the device. Start by saving a lot of effort, and get the data sheet for the 'embedded' device. If it is yet to be designed, look at a standard like RS422, rather than RS232. Once you actually have the signalling standard involved, then there are PCI cards, or block mode USB devices, that can comfortably handle signalling at these rates. At present, your question is a bit too 'open'. There are hundreds of devices that can operate a serial bus at these higher rates, but few that can do it for any length of time, and if the cabling needs to be more than a very few inches long, it is unlikely that the connection is 'RS232'.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett