need help selecting wire to board connector

I'm designing a board to go into a hand-held instrument. I need two small 2-pin wire-to-board connectors. My customer, who is used to his very old and crude designs would like to use barrier blocks with screw terminals. There's nowhere near enough room in this box to use even the smallest screw terminals I have been able to find.

The wires are small - no larger than 24 gauge. I have looked at this:

and while the customer likes it, it's really kind of huge compared to everything else on the board. I also don't want to use anything that requires a very expensive crimper - this is a low-production item (about 200 pieces per year).

My preference would be to just put down some holes and solder the wires in place - they only have to be removed once every two years for calibration - but I'd like to offer some options at tomorrow's meeting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

Reply to
rangerssuck

That is pretty small. there is also the 1771033 that is very similiar...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

The JST PH-series are ubiquitous and cheap. Not the smallest around but reasonable. You may have a crimper that will do these; it does take some care but that goes with the size.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

12

Charlie -

That part number is actually the three-pin version of my two-pin device. All other dimensions are the same, except for the extra 2.5mm.

But thanks, anyway.

Reply to
rangerssuck

12

That's getting closer - I knew I'd seen these things somewhere. Also, if I switch to the through-hole device, I save a millimeter in depth. These are such low production that even if that connector has to be hand-soldered, it's no big deal.

Printing the data sheet and bringing it to tomorrow's meeting.

Thanks.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Yes, that's what I'd suggest too.

You can buy the wires with the female connectors already crimped on, then just shove them in the housing.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I use 2-piece screw-terminal blocks a lot, from Phoenix Contact, On Shore Tech, Weidmuller and others. Phoenix also has a 2.5 mm spacing spring-clip

2-piece terminal, I don't know of any screw-type with 2.5 mm pitch. The Phoenix jobs have a little orange button you push that opens the spring clip as you put the wire in.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Maybe something like this?