Need Fluke Voltmeter Help

I finally gave my aging (now dead and broken) Fluke-77 the egyptian burial it so rightly earned. Rest in peace.

It's replacement is the Fluke-179. It is a step up from the 77 except for one flaw that is really starting to annoy me:

The meter likes to tip over on the bench!! CONSTANTLY. Who at Fluke thought that rounding the corners and tapering the base on the 179 was a good idea?

So, my question: How do I resolve this issue? (Surely, I am not the first to complain!)

I went online to try to locate a holster for it. No luck. I do see something called a C70G holster, which Fluke "claims" is compatible with the Model 179, but it sure doesn't look like it fits. In fact, I believe that is the part # for the old Fluke 77 holster -- and it's discontinued / obsolete anyway.

I guess I can call Fluke on Monday. Their website is glacially slooooooooooww tonight.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

My guess(tm) is that they did not want you to stand the DVM on end. It might fall over, break something, and cause a warranty issue.

Got a 3D printer? Make your own stand:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 19:28:48 -0700 (PDT), mpm Gave us:

PLace it onto a piece of masonite, and then put a bunch of UV cure adhesive around all the points that touch, then fire up the UV lamp and cure it.

There's your cure. Of course, it will take up far more space in the cabinet at that point.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

[snip]

My 29 year old Fluke 75 has needed no maintenance at all, other than 4 (? ) batteries in that time.

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Yeah, nice idea Jeff, but I'm afraid it's much too far gone to help it. This was a high-mileage field repair meter at one point in it's 25+ year li fe, so it's not like I didn't get my money's worth out of it. I'll miss it (for a while). It had some great standard probes too. I don't really lik e the new ones, but the old ones were showing too much wear for my liking. Better unsatisfied and safe, than dead, I suppose. I'm not even sure tho se were original. Pomona's, maybe?

Update on the unobtanium holster... Here it is Thursday and I still haven't got around to calling Fluke yet. Will put that on a sticky (I hate those things!), and call them first thing tomorrow!

Reply to
mpm

Just closing out this post. I spoke with Fluke Tech Support today and they do not make a holster for the 179.

They do have a magnetic hang strap, but that's not going to get me back to what I enjoyed about the model 77 w/holster. I'm on my own, basically.

That said, it shouldn't be too difficult to cobble something up to counteract the model 179's tendency to want to tip over while it's on the bench.

Reply to
mpm