Need alternative to 74LVC2G14, with a lot less IDD current in analog mode

Would a CMOS 555-type timer chip be any good? It has some sort of set-reset flipflop and two comparators, which gives a lot of hysteresis. It is probably fairly slow but you didn't mention whether that matters.

Reply to
Chris Jones

A 555 with TRIG+THRESH tied is no more than a glorified '14 with accurate (1/3 and 2/3 VDD) trip points.

I'm reminded of this 555 abuse:

It works, it does what it says on the tin (well, it doesn't actually say anywhere that it's a peak current mode boost, but it does, okay?), but that doesn't mean you want to do it. :^)

On that note, a good old fashioned comparator is probably of interest. Iq under 1mA, with HC speed, is available.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

That's ridiculous. Maybe Thompson designed it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Abuse? I can do that.

lunatic fringe electronics

How would you design a fast schmitt gate that doesn't have shoot-through current near the switch thresholds?

lunatic fringe electronics

I haven't the faintest idea, but just from the datasheets the performance magnitude is more than 100 to 1 according to which IC is chosen

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Or which datasheet is lying? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Use ECL output flip/flop. Fast is relatively easy, but recall that the '555 uses hysteresis for its time delay (aka phase shift) benefit. The only thing fast is the output slew. A flip/flop gives you true and inverting (differential) for free, but you pay ECL prices for the minimal shoot-through.

Reply to
whit3rd

Smaller-geometry processes could be better than older ones. Or just better design.

But some shoot-through current seems necessary in a gate with hysteresis.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The ECL approach just dissipates a lot of power all the time.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nope. I don't do hysteresis in gates that way. Besides, I did no "14" style TinyCkt for Motorola/ON ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Pretty easy. That is, you can make any shoot through be much faster than the slow input edge would produce in a conventional 6 transistor CMOS Schmitt, and hence, much lower average current.

You use diff pair amps with constant current tails. Sure, it will have DC standby current, but this current can, be made way lower than would otherwise be the case, and academic if the system is always active. Also using resister in the supply's of the final output invertor will lower the shoot through in that stage.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Easy, use charge coupled rather than current coupled stages.

It's a simple academic exercise for the student to design such a circuit. ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

The problem isn't the transient current spike when the gate switches; it's the current ramp-up as the input approaches the snap point. All the 74xx14 cmos type parts do that, often several milliamperes against a nanoamp quiescent draw.

Do you know of a way to avoid that, other than just slowing everything down? Diffamps need power. Sure, burning a lot of power all the time hides the shoot-thru issue. Like someone said, do it in ECL.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

silly wondering thoughts, why not.... what if each output device were fed by a slight time delay circuit, with each delay being asymmetrical. The idea is that on each transition the on output device turns off slightly earlier than the off output device turns on. FWLIW.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
[snip]

SOP in the H-bridge designs I've done. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Ahh. I'd only got as far as thinking diodes & pre-existing stray C for the asymmetrical RC filter.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sounds familiar, but we need names and part numbers.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I can't recall. You'd have to look it up. TI, likely.

lunatic fringe electronics

This looks like one, Win...

4.5nS CMOS, 6mV hysteresis, Vos=1mV (typ) 6.5mV (max).

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat