Need 6V ballast for 9W CFL

Does anyone know where I might get a ballast to drive a 9W CFL tube (germicidal lamp) from a 6V source? There are a number of good circuits around, but all require a custom-wound transformer, which would be difficult for me.

A bare circuit board is fine. Don't want it enclosed in a metal case.

I need 10 of these things.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The easy way to find one, is to get a fluorescent battery lantern; the common camping types run on 6V from four D or AA cells

Reply to
whit3rd

uses a standard 120 V to 6.3 V center-tapped transformer.

The 6 V input might be hard to find. Maybe use something with a 12 V DC input, like

, and then precede that with a 6 V to 12 V DC-DC converter.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

The ballast ICs use switching-supply frequencies on their transformers, which means you're limited to a few hundred turns at most, not too many to do by hand. For 10 pieces, make a little fixture so your hand drill can turn the bobbin. Usually an accurate turns count isn't that important.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On Thu, 21 May 2015 18:09:56 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd put together some random words that came up with:

(germicidal

but all

Gets a bit pricy for 10 of them.

Reply to