neat power parts

I'm still waiting for the Spice model for the 8078. I think I can make it do positive to dual negative conversion.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

onsdag den 19. februar 2020 kl. 19.35.39 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Those little switching regulators blow me away. They do take some of the fun out of on-board power supply design though.

The ripple could be better and sometimes the maximum load capacitance is a bummer, but they can really speed up some designs.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

We often do that here. But I want the cute little dual LTM to make two different negative rails. I'd like to Spice that, because the BGA is hard to breadboard.

I'd love to x-ray the LTM8078. How can they do that?

Does anyone have a high-res x-ray? Ours is a big parts counter and doesn't have useful resolution for ICs.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

onsdag den 19. februar 2020 kl. 20.04.50 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

try a dentist?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

They are very quiet too. The nasty circulating currents are mostly local to the brick.

The 8078 is amazing, but it does need external caps. Neither the Spice model nor the eval board seem to be ready.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Upon first (quick) glance of the spec sheet PDF, I thought the MTBF was only 4.5 minutes. :)

Thankfully, it's much higher than that.

Reply to
mpm

But, an X-ray will only show leads and little squares where the silicon is. It's not likely to distinguish wiring or doping, unless you first strip off the epoxy and do fluorescence microprobing.

For the kind of resolution that would find component parts of an IC, you'd have to hang out at a synchrotron next to the X-ray laser.

Better to use an electron microscope (you still have to strip the epoxy). Either way, synchrotron or microscope, you're doing it with vacuum tubes.

Reply to
whit3rd

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The inductors would be interesting in LTM8078.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's probably why they have that breakout board.

It looks like it would work, but your middle voltage would be loading the bottom voltage...

When I tried that same trick with a LM2596HV trying to make -36V from

+12V it made smoke instead. rather than risk more parts trying to figure out why I found a different solution.

Do what? the datasheet implies that there's a 0.32mm thick PCB with the semiconductors and the inductors mounted on it. it looks like they used green solder mask.

how much do these things cost that you're not prepared to cut one open?

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

We have the eval board on order, but everything is grounded, so it can't be used as a pos-to-neg converter, much less a dual.

We do this a lot

and it always works. The extra ferrite beads are to keep switcher noise down; there is delicate stuff nearby.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Nobody reverse engineers chips any more. At least not anything with any appreciable density. Too many layers. Too much cost and by the time you finish, the chip you are trying to hack out is obsolete.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No LTM8078s around here, but here is an LTM8049 from my parts drawer:

These are handy because they can be used as dual SEPIC or inverting regulators, or any combination thereof. Especially good for those cases where you want a given output rail that lies within the expected input range. There is no drama or transitional behavior as the input voltage crosses the output voltage, it just works.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

The older LTM bricks were LGAs, which didn't block the x-ray view like the solder balls do. But then, they made shorts on the PC board.

Here's a SEPIC that's adjustable from 0 to +70 volts out, set with a local pot or a customer input. What's useful is that it runs with essentially a constant-power limit.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin