Name and shame this 'scope manufacturer

Hi all,

In this book (1986 edition) I'm reading on scopes, in the section on manufacturer's claims for bandwidth, it states: "The rated bandwidth of the highest quality oscilloscopes is quoted as that frequency at which the full screen response has fallen by 3db. Other manufacturers quote the -3db figure for half screen height deflection, whilst one North American manufacturer who shall remain nameless quotes the bandwidth at the -6db point for quarter screen height deflection. Let the buyer beware."

So who's this nameless and shameless scope maker? Anyone know?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

B&K or Zenith, maybe? Teks and HPs of that vintage had nice Gaussian step responses and higher than rated BW. Tek didn't forget how to build scopes until about 2000.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

"Cursitor Doom"

** That would be "Non Linear Systems" and their MS-15 and MS-215 Miniscopes.

From the specifications:

" Bandwidth: DC to 15MHz, -6dB at 1 div deflection. "

" Typical 3dB point is at 8MHz and 2 div deflection. "

Pic of MS-15:

Schematic for the MS-15, my one actually.

A whole page devoted to NLS and their test gear:

The company claims to have made the first digital volt meter.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Details details !