Mystery Component

Gentlemen,

I bought a job lot of components a while back and am trying to sort them out. I've come across about 250 devices I've never seen before and would like to know what they are. Ideally I would post a picture, but I'm hoping to get away with just a description at this stage. These are two-lead devices with bodies about the size of 5W power resistors. They have a mark at one end so are presumably intended to be used one way around. The bodies are made of some sort of ferrite as a light dusting of superficial rust was apparent on several. I gently cracked one open with a hammer and the ferrite just crumbled away. There's nothing else there. My component identifier which normally identifies just about everything was unable to assist. Resistance measurements indicate open circuit both ways. Any ideas?

Cursitor Doom

Coil former for winding custom chokes?

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

Transient absorber? Carborundum or MOV stuff or some such material maybe.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I thought you had a winning suggestion there, Erich. Until I remembered the things are marked on one end.

Cursitor Doom

It's still a winning idea. The marking is for AFTER the coil is wound on the powdered iron core. If the coil were a single layer, it doesn't make much difference which way it's inserted into the PCB. However, if the coil were a multi-layer inductor, the capacitance to ground would be different depending on which way the coil were inserted. Therefore, polarity would be important. If all the coils were wound in the same manner, such as starting the end marker, it would be possible to insert them all in the same direction.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

MOV?

Jasen Betts

More important, what are you missing that you can't take a minute and a half to get a picture posted.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Indeed.

That would reduce irrelevant speculation and get a better answer. It would also save /our/ remaining lifetime.

However, not assessing what's beneficial does fit with CD's other postings.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It's not the least bit conductive AFAICT, even when probing small fragments 1mm apart. I think you and Erich are right in your suppositions, but it must be some other ferric material than powdered iron (which would be pretty low-Q I'm guessing.)

Sigh.. I'll post a picture later when I get my sh*t together.

Cursitor Doom

OK, Ok, I'll do it already.

Cursitor Doom

Well, what should have taken a minute and a half has taken over an hour and a half and still no go. Image hosting site seems to have some sort of error baked into it today. So I'm done, basically. Thanks to Erich and Jeff; I'm sure they've got it right between them anyway.

Cursitor Doom

? Carborundum varistor?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Try this link for the photo:

Cursitor Doom

Good picture of 200 components :(

Has it occurred to you that a couple of close-up pictures of a *single* component might give more *information* for us to use? Perhaps I need to spell out that different pictures should show different parts of the component.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You didn't mention if the body was attracted to a magnet. However I am now sure it is a ferrite choke form - that flatted portion at the end of the body is intended to anchor a start of the winding from slipping as the coil is wound.

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

Good point. I've just tried and it's strongly attracted.

Erich, you're a genius! Many thanks. :)

Now I have the problem of identifying the variety of ferrite used. As you will know there are very many different grades and materials of such cores and I can't think of any way of testing to ascertain exactly which these are made from. Shame.

Cursitor Doom

Starting point for guesswork would a general purpose MnZn ferrite (N87 is probably best known). Probably meant for chokes and motor suppression applications 10kHz-500kHz. May be good up to 200mT

Wind 10-20 turns and measure the inductance.

piglet

Reply to
Piglet