Mystery Component

TO-92 package

markings:

"650" "B24"

I've got dozens of them. Wondering if I can use them for anything.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The laser diode in a laser printer doesn't have enough power. What you want is the laser from a DVD writer:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

"Paul Hovnanian P.E."

** Two legs or three?

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

TO-92 Typically three, but yes, good point.

Reply to
WoolyBully

"WoolyBully" "Phil Allison"

** Diacs are made in two leg TO92.

So are constant current diodes, eg:

Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Three.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ This is the government our founding fathers warned us about.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:16:28 -0800) it happened "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in :

Why not measure one? PNP-NPN? Beta Build a curve tracer (Vce breakdown).

:-)

Oh, Ft..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Three legs good, two legs better.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You might try printing some stunning graphics?...

Reply to
Oppie

Quick NPN PNP determination with a meter in diode test mode. Allow for base in center or to one side. Fets show a body diode in reverse and touching the meter between G-S will store enough charge to measure some forward conduction D-S. Grab the leads with your fingers to drain the charge and D-S should look open. Even nicer if your meter has a transistor tester function that gives a figure of merit on beta. Nothing beats a curve tracer though. I've got a 30 year old sencore one.

Hard to say if it's a house number but looks like it. When you buy enough or pay enough, vendors will private label. Saw that all the time when I worked with mil-spec stuff.

Reply to
Oppie

Have you ever sat on a two legged stool? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:vvidne0Hj9D4JZfMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Even sat on a one-legged one. Used while milking a cow.(to sit on :) )

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Which begs ( for ) the question: Has anyone attempted to develop a method for identifying components simply from their characeristics?

Plug a BJT into a test socket, drive the pins, measure the traces, feed the results into a database, and out pops...

"It's a 2N2222A, dummy!"

Hm... is there a way of testing ( say ) a BJT's BVce "gently", that is, so that it doesn't _stay_ broken down?

Jes' curious.

Frank McKenney

--
  Nearly every feature of the American system of manufacturing, from
  the elements of the new textile machinery to the concept of

On a sunny day (Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:00:32 -0600) it happened Frnak McKenney wrote in :

Ferry Lon Taim AGOH I designed and build a transistor curve tracer. Was just not much work, and boss wanted one. To keep dissipation in limits you need to use low impulse duty cycle. It could find NPN or PNP automatically. No micros at that time, just relays and logic, output to a normal xy scope.

I am sure with a PC these days you could look up things in a database, and have a better display.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

2N650 ?

Martin Riddle

I have one of these:-

Spehro Pefhany

Sure, a real BJT (perhaps excepting some RF exotica) can be pushed beyond BVce so long as current is kept low. You can see this quite nicely on a curve tracer if you have access to one. I haven't heard of any problems with devices "abused" in this way, not even MTBF.

BVeb is another matter. Breaking down EB junctions reduces beta, increasing noise and may lead to shortened MTBF. Supposedly forward biasing "anneals", but I don't know if it's completely reversible. IIRC its a function of total-reverse-charge, so you should be able to go into a very limited breakdown for a short time without "significant" damage - perfectly sufficient for a tester.

-F

Reply to
Frank Miles

Apparently Peak-Atlas are marketing a (massively) upgraded version of their

3-terminal component analyser, it has a USB port for connection to a PC (I think it may actually do curve tracing).

The original version I bought about a decade ago will at least tell you if a device is transistor, MOSFET or just a pair of diodes - anything more complex and it'll just report "unrecognised or faulty component".

Reply to
Ian Field

That would have been BP ... Before Plastic. A 2N650 is a PNP Ge in a TO-5 can.

Reply to
tm

Reply to
notme