my DIY solder smoke remover

Ok, after getting some ideas here and online, this is similar to what I ended up with:

The idea is to wet the layers to better grab smoke particles. I ended up modifying it slightly:

That is simply a five foot dryer duct extension taped onto the side of the unit.

Learned something about RTV here. The blue RTV you see around the fan did not stick to the PP box! Yet, the aluminum tape I used to secure the duct to the side worked fine.

Performance wise, the duct made the unit a lot more versatile. I can move the suction to just about anywhere I need it without having to move the entire unit. The range appears to be up to about 6". I used the strongest fan I could find, a 120mm one rated at 78 cfm. If I wanted to spend more, I know there are some close to double that cfm.

I didn't have any incense to try, but the maker claims it filters it out well enough that he can't smell it. There's still one mod I think I will make and that is adding an activated carbon layer. There's another video online showing such a DIY filter attached to the fan using a non-functional fan. That would use the least carbon and make for easy changing.

The main drawback with the device is having to use the wet filters and it takes them a good twelve hours to dry and that's under a ceiling fan. Don't want to trade filtered air for mold!

Reply to
Jim Horton

It would be as effective to get a small fan and gently waft the smoke away. Most of it will stick to room surfaces or diffuse away, and never be inhaled.

This is a great thing to have around:

We were using one yesterday to experiment with a 250 watt class-D amp, to measure heat sink temp vs air flow.

With these, too:

Amazon rocks.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Really neat, thanks for the share. One time, I built a digital anemometer using a PC fan and DVM. I don't think I ever used it other than to verify my car's speedometer at the time. Looks like someone's been checking out my prior thread on thermocouples. The thermometer that can use multiple thermocouples is very tempting.

Nice inclusions, but can't have. I stopped eating refined/ processed sugars over two years back. Took me from a moderately pre-diabetic to practically nonexistent just by making that change.

They're at the top of their game now, but one wonders how long it will last

Reply to
Jim Horton

Air flow meters are great. Air is peverse stuff that defies expectations. Often the air is flowing in exactly the obvious direction, like downward into the hub of a fan blowing up into a card cage.

I figure that sugar is sugar. It usually comes from sugar cane and removing some molasses and recrystalizing a couple of times doesn't change the chemistry.

Corn syrup is evil, unless you are making the occasional pecan pie.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin