Mundane resistors out of stock, what's going on?

Or the wife drives a really nice car. ;-)

Reply to
krw

The one from her new beau? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You are so out to lunch on all this. A failure is a failure. Normal peopl e don't drive around with major components of their vehicles broken. I do sometimes, so draw your conclusions... You have clearly demonstrated that you are a... unique individual. The bottom line is your experience and ane cdotes are not the stuff that the rest of the world sees and is not an indi cator of the way of the world.

I won't bother to debate the details any further. We have long passed the point of splitting hairs.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

ter? I know my 21 year old truck does. It also has a temp gauge that does n't work because something is wrong in the dash panel and they only replace the whole thing! If someone would take it out and put it back I'm sure I could fix it myself, but I'm not going to tear my only vehicle apart not kn owing when it would be back together.

issue I'd have to have it fixed. Even just being the temperature gauge I am on the fence. I wouldn't like to have the engine melt down.

That includes p&p.

Having a delusional day?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

in

ear and break. Electronics for the most part is very reliable. Otherwise they would never be able to build large systems like super computers. In f act, the least reliable part of any electronics is the mechanical parts, sw itches and connectors. That's a fact.

sily while electronics tends to either be built right or isn't and fails an d doesn't get shipped.

ters in a very hot location & not surprisingly failing. It's a mass market car.

So someone makes a crap car. That has nothing to do with the discussion.

nd cheap and would have to rent a car. A bad temperature gauge is a real p roblem potentially costing an engine. Same thing to me.

erheated enough to put it at risk?

Sorry, I can't get past the poor grammar to understand what you are asking.

f the issues. Many are nothing more than waffle designed to sell people thi ngs.

Of course... they have no idea how to collect and present data either.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I bet synchronizing those carburetors was a bitch!

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Some 40 years ago, when I started university, the physics lectures were

Unfortunately, the street leading up there was too steep for this other

So I fitted a second Solex engine on the rear wheel: Solex Sahara. Pity I never made pictures of that contraption. Synchronizing carbs wasn't really a problem, since the tiny carburetor was basically a binary device: idle or full throttle. I have a suspicion that even with the brutal power or the 2CV Sahara's engines (2x 12 HP) this was not much different.

The rear engine of my Solex had cooling problems in hot wheather.

- Andi

Reply to
Andreas Karrer

That is right. There is nowhere to lean your accelerator foot, so when the centrifugal clutch connects the whole car jumps and your foot will create an oscillation if you do not put it flat on the floor.

Been there - done that, about 50 years ago ...

--

-TV
Reply to

ple don't drive around with major components of their vehicles broken. I d o sometimes, so draw your conclusions... You have clearly demonstrated tha t you are a... unique individual. The bottom line is your experience and a necdotes are not the stuff that the rest of the world sees and is not an in dicator of the way of the world.

e point of splitting hairs.

you must lack world experience

Reply to
tabbypurr

al issue I'd have to have it fixed. Even just being the temperature gauge I am on the fence. I wouldn't like to have the engine melt down.

. That includes p&p.

No, I've bought 3 of them so far. Handy, though not completely precise. Enj oy your dense day.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

no the Astra is a fairly good mid-range car compared to the rest. If you read the first para you'd see how it's relevant.

you couldn't figure out that 'it it' was a typo for 'if it'? No worry.

it wouldn't matter if they did

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A Solex bump stock?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

it was also for redundancy, they had separate gearboxes so you could put one in neutral and drive home using the other

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not actually - the Solexes did their work OK.

The feedback was from the clutch catching, the 2CV jumping forward with help from the springy suspension, causing the foot with the accelerator pedal to jump, and the car jerking to the other direction, and so on. The cure was to prevent the accelerator pedal from moving by pushing it flat to the floor.

--

-TV
Reply to

,

re

er

That's pretty much how a bump stock works. Squeeze the trigger tightly and it doesn't work.

Rick

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

With my 16-horse version I never experienced that. However, I had improved the carburetor and some other stuff with hand-made copper seals and so on. It was the only 2CV in town that could idle as calmly and low-rpm as a Harley-Davidson.

Which on a 2CV doesn't matter much because one will not exactly be pressed against the back rest of the driver's seat. There was just a throaty sound from the engine but not much else.

The 2CV was one great car. Not particularly reliable but if anything went wrong I could just pull over and fix it right there. When a dashboard light comes on and the engine quits on a newfangled electronics-laden car it's pretty much game over (and make sure your bank account is fat).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Nah. Just whip out your OBDII monitor and discover the gas tank cap is not screwed on tight.

The engine light could mean a lot of things. If the engine is running smooth and there is plenty of oil, just keep going. Fix it when you get home.

Modern cars are so reliable that you are pretty much assured you can get where you need to go.

Except for pathalogical cases, of course. Google will warn you about them.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Sure, I had that on my way back from the airport. Possibly someone had tried to siphon off some gasoline. Of course, I had to buy an OBD-II monitor to find out which code it had thrown. Having a shop "diagnose" that would have cost more than a USB-reader. For my previous cars without electronics I did not have to buy such tools, not needed.

I mean situations where the light comes on and it's serious. Not just a loose gas cap or a failed O2 sensor but some major booboo on a controller board.

It has happened to lots of people I know. Sometimes not fixable at all, raod service guy came, said "It needs to be towed in" and that was that. Those cases usually resulted in four-digit repair bills. Then there were things like electronic modules mounted on (!) the engine block. IIRC it was a van from Ford. When parked hot it would not immediately start again if, for example, our friends went into a store but didn't spend much time there because they didn't have what they were looking for. The fix was to let it cool off, quite a long time. Annoying, a waste of time. Cars without electronics simply do not have such issues.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

but usually that tool will then tell you exactly what is wrong, no need to guess

but they have plenty of other problems, you win some you lose some

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I've never driven a 2CV with centrifugal clutch, but the effect also occurs with a standard clutch. Accelerating a 2CV smoothly takes some getting used to. Nevertheless, 2CVs were often used as learner's cars.

There's a 2CV for sale 100m down the street; I'm tempted, but it is from the years with the ugly rectangular headlights. But then there's also an 85y old uncle whow wants to get his collection of Lancia Aprilia, Beta HPE, Delta, and a 2CV into good hands.

- Andi

Reply to
Andreas Karrer