multiple instances of Firefox

Some web pages open another instance of Firefox and push an ad page. Why does Firefox allow this? Is there any way to stop it?

 Click to see the full signature

Be sure you have "Block pop-up windows" checked in Tools/Options/Content.

AdBlock plus is also a good thing to have installed.

Reply to
qrk

Yeah, done that. And "open in new tabs, not new windows."

OK, I'll look into that.

 Click to see the full signature

And there is, in Options, Tabs, a selection to "open a new window in a new tab instead".

I've not seen a new "instance" situation. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

FlashBlock and NoScript are also good things to install. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Might as well ad Ghostery to the list. Every one of those stupid facebook or twitter buttons is a tracking device.

I use all these services and still get the popover sometimes. They are really annoying on a phone since you have to catch them to click them off.

Reply to
miso

It's not actually a new instance, just a new window.

It's in the JavaScript specification (most of which was developed by one person, in a couple of weeks, probably without much sleep; and now we're stuck with it).

Tools Options Tabs [X] Open new windows in a new tab instead Content [X] Block pop-up windows [ ] Enable JavaScript

[The last one will break a lot of websites; NoScript allows finer control.]
Reply to
Nobody

does

I'll second ad block plus, it's the ducks nuts.

Reply to
Dennis

I second Noscript. It will affect your web experience especially in the beginning when no websites are in the whitelist but I feel safer online with it.

Reply to
M. Hamed

This fixes that and some

Rick

And a lot of the advert content is thwarted with a bit of this slapped on too (Windows or Linux, if you have the ability to edit /etc/hosts or is Windowsy equivalent)

MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:

Which means you don't even get a successful outgoing connection to

as it loops back to your own machine and fails pretty much there.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike

But is it what it's quacked up to be?

enough left over to pay them.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why does

NoScript and Ghostery are also good tools.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk