multimeters

Time marches on. Now you can buy a 6000 count , true RMS multimeter for le ss than $15 ( RM101 ) and a 4000 count one with a usb port for about $35 .

While I am tempted to get yet another multimeter, I can not think of any ti me I needed a true rms meter or one with a usb port. So thought I would as k those of you still working regularly, if you found a need for a 6000 coun t multimeter, or one that reads true RMS , or a need for one that has a usb port.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

** My bench meter gives true RMS readings that can be relied upon across the audio band and a bit beyond. The main use is for noise signals and the distorted current waveforms drawn by AC-DC supplies.

The meter in the link is not likely to cover the audio band, so only the AC-DC case applies. It's often important to know the RMS value of an AC current wave so fuses, transformers and the like can be specified with certainty.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Dan -

Either meter is rather inexpensive. Regardless of the count, what is their basic accuracy? Resolution is not the same as accuracy. And can they maintain their accuracy over time?

I have an old Fluke handheld multimeter I bought new MANY years ago. It seems to have held up well, although I had to replace its LCD display about 25 years ago. When I wanted a second meter to carry around in a portable tool box, I bought a slightly newer Fluke at a pawn shop. I do not recall what I paid, but it was probably less than $35.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

r less

  1. > >

y time

sk

unt

sb

] am a big believer in Fluke. Back in the 60's the Fluke differential volt meters were the best. And I bought Fluke stock because they were good. A nd still have the stock. Well not Fluke stock as they were bought out by D anaher And now Danaher has split and I think that Fluke is now part of For tive.

Reply to
dcaster

the last fluke hand meter I looked at recently was made in China..

what does that tell you?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

That Fluke can't afford to make inexpensive meters in the US, either?

Reply to
krw

** Beter than 1% on the DC volts ranges.

** Still nice to have sometimes.

** Modern hand held DMMs are known to hold their calibration for the life of the meter. It's in the very nature of dual slope integration, band gap references and metal film resistors to do so.

The more likely failures are with the LCD display or the range switch.

But what the heck, if $20 buys you another one.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not too much. The Chinese are capable of making reliable goods. THe probl em is that we do not know which is the good stuff so we tend to buy on pric e. I have a number of inexpensive tools from Harbor Freight that are as good a s the much more expensive models sold by American companies. Harbor Freigh t usually has multiple model numbers for items it sells. I have seen re views where the reviews are very different for the same looking items

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It tells us we can't have Trump take up office a moment too soon.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

asshole

Reply to
M Philbrook

There are very few things that don't tell Julian Barnes that. Maybe his per formance bonus depends on it.

Back in objective reality. Trumps performance in office is unpredictable, b ecause the creep is a liar, and we don't have clue what he will actually de liver. The most likely outcome - based on Trump's record as a businessman - that he won't deliver much, and will bankrupt the country in the process.

Julian Barnes has been taking something - probably money - that persuades h im to make more optimistic claims.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It tells me that you are dumber than a box of rocks. No, make that dumber than a fence post. No, both are much less dumb than you.

Reply to
John S

I hate to be the one to give you the bad news, but he's right. Most if not all of Fluke's low end meters are made in China. I think (not sure) that Model 87 and up are still made in USA.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

In that case we'd better order-up all the low-end cheap Chinese shit we can get our hands on while it's available, before Donald and Nigel ban all importation.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom