multilayer PCB

That board has some layers of FR4 and some microwave laminates.

 Click to see the full signature

But did you add a 6 axis accelerometer and compass sensor to keep the worm hole centered during rotation?

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

For some obscure reason it reminded me of this:

JohnButtkiss

Wondering what it is, is this a microwave beam position sensor?

This because I once did some work on a beam position sensor for a lineac, reminds me of that, but that had cavities and detectors around the beam.

Curious.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

No, it's part of the beam modulator system for the NIF laser. There's a circular delay line that generates impulses every 250 ps. That particular version of the board didn't work, but I kept it because it spins so well.

The linear version did work:

but nowadays we could do it with an 8 Gs/s DAC.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Nice, that is the real high-tech!

Them aliens will like it too.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Is Buttkiss your name or your fetish?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Is that what you call a new board spin?

Who makes such frankenboards and how many kidneys does one need to sell?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

That might hjave been state of the art back in 1990.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And it has come out bowl-shaped?

--
     ?
Reply to

If you wanted non-dispersive strip-line transmission lines, it makes sense to make the two layers in the middle of the stack microwave laminates.

You can only get even numbers of layers, so the stack isn't completely symm etrical, but FR4 bonded glass fibre is pretty stiff.

Back in 1988 we used isocynate bonded teflon cloth as our "microwave lamina te" which is pretty soft, and didn't have any trouble on a triple extended Eurocard, but we confined it to the two outer layers - microstrip was good enough for what we were doing.

This didn't stop some idiot at the printed-circuit shop deciding that our s tack up order would make the board bend and shuffling it, which meant that out first board didn't work - and it took us a few weeks to find out why - but the subsequent boards where the layers had been stacked up correctly di dn't bow either.

We did have one small board with a teflon-bonded alumina substrate, but tha t was a single layer double sided board.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Most board houses will do this. The good ones will warn you not to do this.

It would probably be OK if the stackup were symmetric. This wasn't.

The production board was all FR4.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

No, more like a potato chip.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

huh? if it resembles a hyperbolic surface how does it have a single point intersection with the plane (of the benchtop)? is there's something else under it?

--
     ?
Reply to

Does this mean you had to respin the board?

Reply to
+++ATH0

A couple of times.