MSc in Elctronics Circuits Design

Can anybody please tell me the names of some famous universities of the world which are offering the Masters in Circuit designing. I am not asking about IC design but specifically the digital and analogue circuits designing.

Reply to
Farooq

For Great Britain:-

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

You're looking for universities, and haven't even learned how to use google search yet?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
The University of Texas at Austin:

http://lifelong.engr.utexas.edu/degree/cd-overview.cfm
Reply to
John Fields

Academics don't want to trouble themselves with the mere nitty gritty of life.

He found google groups though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I've never heard of a degree in "circuit design", at least in the US. The classic degree is "electrical engineering" although you do lately hear of a degree in "electronics engineering."

Besides, they mostly teach theory and analysis, not design. It takes a designer to teach design, and there are very few of those in academia.

John

Agreed! "Design" is an artistic activity... engineering only provides the tools with which to exercise your artistic abilities.

...Jim Thompson

I also agree heartily. I am always somewhat amused (and bemused) by those who think a degree in EE suddenly endows the graduate with the ability to 'design'. That's rather like going to an art shop and buying a canvas, paints and brushes and suddenly thinking you are an artist.

Undoubtedly *some* are, but not that many ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Reply to
dougfgd

Looks fun but the core courses are all integrated circuit engineering fundamentals. I guess the phrase, circuit design, has changed meaning.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That's where ALL the action is. Discrete design is nothing but cut-and-paste anymore ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Them's fighting words, young Jim. We discrete designers have a lot more toys to play with. We can mix silicon/SiGe/GaAs/SiC/InGaP/GaN, transformers and transmission lines, lasers and PIN diodes, nanovolts and kilovolts, step-recovery with schottky with varactor, picofarads and farads, while you're limited, on any one chip, to about six not-very-exciting, wimpy circuit elements. How can you do decent design without heatsinks?

And we can put cool colored parts and blinkey LEDs and test points all over our boards, and you can't. Pbbbbbbttt!

So, please just keep cranking out those 4-cent opamps, so we can put them on boards and charge $12K apiece for them.

John

Pbbbbbbttt, yourself! I haven't done a 4¢ OpAmp since I was a kid ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I don't think you will find a course entitled 'MSc in Circuit Design' in the UK but you will find more generic titles like 'MSc in Electronic Engineering', which usually include modules in Analog and Digital circuit design, you can pick and choose modules on entry to suit your requirements.

In the UK Electrical Engineering is usually focused on large scale power grid electricity, where Electronic Engineering is focused more on electronic circuits including microcontrollers etc, although there is a small amount of inevitable overlap. The terminology can be mixed up between different parts of the world.

I would advise reading up on the engineering departments research activities, the better the postgraduate research quality, usually the better the courses on offer. Check the UK RAE rating, 5 being the top. Cambridge and Southampton both have good reputations.

You will find a list of UK universities on my website at:

Best regards Alan

electronic-eng.com

It's impossible to bring them back, once they've gone over to the Dark Side. So I have only two words for you:

KozyShack Flan.

or maybe three, I'm not sure.

John

What's "KozyShack"? I get my Flan at home or at Mexican restaurants.

...Jim Thompson

We get ours at Safeway.

John

I like tapioca... I'll look for it at our local Safeway.

...Jim Thompson

Hello John,

It sure does.

Like, where?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Farooq,

You can learn the theory at about any technical university. Famous? Why? Ok, I graduated from a famous "ivy league" type of institution but I can't say that it ever mattered much in being hired or selected for a consulting assignment.

If you really want to learn to design there is only one advice: Build, build, build. Get yourself a good solder station and some parts. Take something interesting, a gadget you or someone else always wanted to have and build it from scratch.

Oh, and buy a copy of "The Art of Electronics". Absolutely indispensable, got to have it.