Moving Firefox to new machine

Windoze fault. Everything in Windoze is plug-n-play EXCEPT the mother board. Swap chipsets and it will usually crash. However, there are workarounds, some of which unfortunately require a working machine. Basically, it's to disarm some advanced features (i.e. AHCI), and set the registry for very minimal display drivers (VGA) and minimal disk drivers (Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller). Some articles on motherboard transplants:

I have customers with spare machines. It's a good idea, but invariably, all the spares get converted into workstations. I then get the panic phone call.

My crystal ball is infallible. My coffee can is almost full of bulging caps that I've replaced in about the last 4 months.

It's easier to just replace the PS and see if it magically fixes the problem.

# 831-336-2558
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Try the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"

or "Easy Transfer"

Watch out for going from 32 bit to 64 bit:

Hint: Beware of anything labeled "easy, amazing, magic, miracle, super, or similar superlatives. They rarely live up to the name.

# 831-336-2558
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

7.1.0.9 Works just ducky. I wouldn't touch any wannabe's. ...Jim Thompson
 Click to see the full signature

You can simply boot the new machine and put it on the network (I presume you have a multi-port network), then boot the old machine and run firefox and in the tools menu dropdown, select 'Set Up Sync'.

Then you can export things to the new box.

Or, you could just temporarily (or permanently) place the old HD in the new box, and have everything right there. Boot from the new drive, and the old volume would be assigned "d:" or such. You could then re-size a partition on it, and set-up Linux or the like, and not worry about your new drive.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Have you actually experienced problems? I assume that's what effectively happens when people upgrade their copy of Firef**- I've never noticed anything lost (other than incompatible plug-ins) even when jumping several versions, with my small sample of 6 or 7 machines.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

He said nothing about booting the old hard drive.

Reply to
SoothSayer

to a PC for traveling.

Firefox has syncing now.

Reply to
SoothSayer

1) Move the HD to the new machine as Primary Master. 2) Add similar or larger sized HD, as Primary Slave. 3) Boot to a true HD copy program like Ghost. Beware of programs that talk about "image" because most of them will NOT give you a directly bootable drive. 4) Copy 1 to 2; this gives you a WORKING backup. 5) Remove the copy, boot and feed the computer the new drivers as the OS cries/complains for them. Net result: new compute with ALL programs,files, folders, that you were familiar with. Have done this 3 times,each time upgrading the computer.
Reply to
Robert Baer

That does not address the program installation info that RegEdit could show.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You would be helpless without this group, wouldn't you?

Reply to
John S

Eudora is "INI" controlled, so it's mostly recreating folders, using temporary holding mailboxes, then firing it up and transferring. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Install, rename Profile directory, replace with original machine Profile directory... worked just ducky. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

hour

take it

s, etc.

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

you install firefox on the new machine first, then replace the the profile with the one from the old machine

the profile has everything from bookmarks to history etc.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

No, you don't want to BOOT off the old disk, just add it as a secondary drive so you can copy data off it.

Proprietary driver for the disk? There should be no such thing, all the drives now should be very standard SATA, the older machine might still have had a PATA drive. In that case, you can get SATA-PATA converters for this purpose.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Start by removing the hard drive and connecting it to the new pc (USB adaptors are available if you have warranty, or interface worries)

The firefox settings are in a directory off your home called "mozilla" or something like that, it's ".mozilla" on *nix , "application data/mozilla" on windows just copy the whole directory to the same place on the new computer,

But why stop there? You mght as well copy the whole home.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

only when going backwards in versions, applications are generally designed to upgrade their data.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

lots of bad powersupplies look to visial inspection. hook an oscilloscope up to the

12V 5V and 3.3V rails and check voltage levels are within 5% including ripple (-12V and -5V are less critical)
--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Yes it is why I outlined a proper procedure to backup bookmarks and passwords.

I stopped using Eudora a long time ago. Made the jump to Thunderbird and never looked back.

Buy usb to sata converter. Pull the drive. Copy files at your leisure.

You do know most 10 year olds can do this.

Reply to
miso