Moving Firefox to new machine

The flakey PC finally flaked its last and will only run for about 1/2 hour before dying.

I can't find any bloated electrolytics, but loading any USB port will take it down in 30 seconds.

So it's time to move on.

What's the procedure for getting all Firefox bookmarks, tabs, passwords, etc. onto a new machine? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

e it

etc.

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

somewhere deep down in \Documents and Settings\..\local setting\ .. \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\ there's a direcctory called profiles, replace with copy from old machine

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

CTRL+SHFT+B -> Import and Backup -> Backup

Reply to
hamilton

I bet it doesn't work on a dead pc...

bill

Reply to
Bill Martin

That's only the bookmarks anyway-- to transfer everything you can copy the profile folder. Google should know exactly how.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Insert coin in drive slot for the next 10 minutes. Beep.

Look for damage in the power supply area. You can usually see inside through the fan opening. If you see something like this, it's time for a new power supply:

Yet another contribution to eWaste. First, the 19" LCD TV. Now the computah. What's next? As before, may I suggest you at least attempt a repair. Replacing the power supply is quite easy.

Presumably, the data on your hard disk is still intact. Remove the drive, attach a USB adapter, plug into another machine, and...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I bet it will work for at least 1/2 hour before dying.

Reply to
hamilton

Sno-o-o-ort!

Right now, with nothing up but network, it's still running at ~1 hour... copying everything over.

...\profile should do the trick. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

might be of help to you. The guy who wrote it is one hell of a great guy.

Basically you need to do the following:

  1. Delete your cache.
  2. Copy your existing profile (it will be big!) to the new machine.
  3. Tell Firefox to use your copied profile. One trick is to do a name swap with the existing default profile. Simply swap the two profile names.
--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

You can move the old hard drive to the new machine, mount it and then copy the user files over. There should be a file with a randomized name which has all your user stuff. On Linux, it is xxx/.mozilla/firefox/.default and then there are directories and files like cookies, extensions, bookmarks, pluginreg, signons, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jim, try mozbackup

I use it all the time to move my thunderbird V14 email to a netbook, and back to a PC for traveling.

It supposed to also do Firefox V14, so I would try it before anything else.

Currently I just use XMARKS for FF bookmark transfers between systems.

good luck,

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Web's best price on Olinuxino Linux PC:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

My approach is to get 10 of the same computer from eBay and mix and match parts. I have a shiny new 8-core server for compute-intensive stuff, but I standardized on a Thinkpad that I liked, and just get more of them for $100 or so. Tear the HDD out of a dying one, cram it in a newer one, and off you go. (Making a mirror backup of the HD is a good move, of course.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ThinkPads can take an additional disk drive in their UntraBay (rather than an optical drive). I don't know if you can mirror the main drive to it, but it might not be a bad idea if you're not constantly on the road (need a portable CD drive).

Reply to
krw

Unfortunately one huge problem with Windows is that as soon as it tries to load the old motherboard's chipset driver, e.g. the proprietary driver for the disk controller, it will very likely bluescreen. I've never been sure whether that's the driver author's fault or Windows' own, but it sucks either way.

Have never heard of a surefire workaround for this, perhaps someone else has? Phil's suggestion of keeping a spare motherboard around would work, but not for upgrades.

In any case this sounds like a power supply problem as Jeff L. says. Open up the supply and look for bulging caps. Maybe hook up a 4- channel DSO to the lines coming from the supply and see which one(s) act up.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

I use command-line version control software (Linus Torvalds' "git") for just about everything, so backups are pretty simple--I just ssh to my office server and sync everything that way. Other stuff, like my datasheet archive, gets backed up with rsync the same way. Sort of like having my own private cloud. ;)

The server then puts it on a couple of NAS units in my basement at home, plus encrypted cloud backups. So even if a fair amount of excrement were to hit the rotating airfoil, I shouldn't lose a lot of my work.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ok - having been through this to upgrade the drive in my machine here's what you do:

The Ctrl-Shift-B brings up the Library of Bookmarks and you just click the import/export. Just out of curiosity - if you can't plug in usb you could at least share the folder you put the export into and connect via another machine.

Then passwords - they're a little stickier. There's an add-on called Password Exporter 1.2.1 - install it.

Then go into Tools/Options/Security - under Passwords you'll see an Export Passwords button. Click and save.

Copying the profile folder is dicey when going between version which is probably going to be the case.

That did it.

Well backed up, but tricky to synchronize... Eudora E-mail is next. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

to a PC for traveling.

Thanks, Don! I'll try that out... I have the same issue, as well, back-and-forth between laptop and desktop. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Congrats.

Which Eudora? The original 7.1, which has corrupted itself on a few of my customers machines or the newer open source version which does much better?

Personally, I prefer the regular version of Thunderbird 14, but if you're accustomed to using Eudora, the OSE version might be better.

If you're still on 7.1, this would probably be a good time to upgrade.

# 831-336-2558