Mouser search engine sucks

They give you a zillion choices. Like if you want a mosfet from 20 to

50 amps, there are 30 or more, in tiny increments as low as 0.1 amps. And ditto for voltages. So if you select a reasonable range of parts, it complains that you have selected too many filters.

Back to Digikey!

Yup, Mouser's search engine can't compare to Digi-Key's. Nobody else's is much better than Mouser's. But, some of the other distributors have better prices. Newark and sometimes Allied have better prices on big IR MOSFETs. Mouser has a much better selection of big electrolytic caps.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I usually start searching with 3 or 4 windows open. The search starts with Digikey. Then I plug the parts into Mouser, Avnet, TTI, etc and check price, availability, stock levels and the rest. Mouser has serious data qaulity issues in their search engine.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

I don't buy big quantities, so I usually just use DK. Octopart has improved its parametric searches too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 22:29:30 -0500, Jon Elson Gave us:

Use findchips.com You can find practically anything electronic. It doesn't have to be chips.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yeah, the database was cobbled together from different datasheet formats, by folk who hadn't any way to redesign the engine.

I've seen it done better, in pre-computer days. You get a bunch of cards, with perforations around the edges, and a notcher tool. Notching from the card edge to the perforation sets a bit, which can represent transistor type (notch #1: Ge; notch #2: SI) or maximum voltage (0-20 notch #21; 20.1-80 notch #22; 80.1-120, notch #23 and so on).

Set the cards in a holder tray and slide a wire probe into the "Si"" notch, then lift. All the cards that come up on the wire, are NOT the transistors you want, because Si transistors had that notch cut (and their cards stayed in the tray); set the unsuitables aside. Then on to the next requirement; any combination of include-this or exclude-this on any of the bits, was achievable with a modicum of thought.

But, someone had to really THINK about the criteria; a 470 uF capacitor and 500 uF capacitor aren't really different (20% tolerance, you know) but if the manufacturer data is to be presented in the catalog, it'll LOOK different when the database is built. Loose ranges work better than numeric entry. And 2048 kHz quartz crystals are entered into the database distinct from 2.048 MHz, and distinct too from 2.0480 MHz... unless someone really thinks.

Type-of-gizmo labels are always an issue; why does DigiKey insist that you only search after you determine that you want an aluminum electrolytic capacitor? Aluminum polymer or tantalum require separate searches.

The card-based thing suffers, too; my lonely old stack (kept for nostalgia, not use) hasn't been updated with new cards since 2N1702 was a common part. Mouser's search engine is better.

Reply to
whit3rd

Somehow they are also connected with . There you can find many schematic symbols and footprints for many different EDA packages. One must register but it seems to be worth it.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Octopart has now been bought by Altium...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I wrote them a long time ago to complain that their search engine sorted pF, nF, and uF, amps, etc., by the numerical value, such that 1000nF and 1000uF were adjacent hits.

They fixed it, and pretty quickly. I was surprised. They might fix this other stuff too, if we told 'em.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Biggest remaining problem for me is ranges, for things like regulators or opamps. Every distinct combination has a unique selection, like "1.8V-15V, +/-0.9V-8V". So there is no way to say "at least 12V". You have to spend 5 minutes going through the list and selecting all the ones that fit.

Still beats using multiple manufacturers websites though.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I spend too much time searching for parts. Someone could run a parts-search-for-a-fee business.

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 07:44:02 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I've noticed that Mouser's search function has greatly improved. John just likes to whine about whatever the gripe of the day is. I don't recall the feature, but I have noticed on occasion that Mouser's search is better than Digikey's. Maybe it's those times when Mouser has something that Digikey doesn't... that can be important too. It might even be more important than the search function.

--

Rick
Reply to

It often beats individual manufacturer's sites. TI has so much bell and whistle content that I find it hard to use. They also insist on keeping the sector in view all the time which leaves little room for results.

--

Rick
Reply to

I'll step up to the plate. What do you need exactly?

--

Rick
Reply to

Nope, we are talking about searching based on particular sets of parameters - not a basic part number search.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

That makes Altium 'OctoMom.' :) (GIYF)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 09:57:51 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Gave us:

That would be mum. mum's the word. Octomum.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well, that's why I use DigiKey unless I'm desperate.

They've been trying, and they've gotten better, but they're still not there.

You listening, Mouser?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Well, that's why I use DigiKey unless I'm desperate.

They've been trying, and they've gotten better, but they're still not there.

You listening, Mouser?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Companies like DigiKey and McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com, my nomination
for best catalog site on the web if they will just stop trying to make
improvements) make sales to people who already know, or just have a general
idea of what they need, because of their web sites.  Companies like Mouser
and Grainger make sales to people who have already used other web sites to
identify what they need, in spite of their web sites.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
Reply to