more whining

Why doesn't anybody make a simple +V to -V inverting switching regulator? Something like a MAX764, but without the ripple-maximizer algorithm? National claims they're working in better inverters, but now all they do is suggest you do the pos switcher float-the-ground kluge. Webench doesn't understand "+12 in, -5 out."

Why doesn't somebody make a simple 3t adjustable reg, an LM317 or LM1117, in SOT-23?

Why are LDOs so picky about output caps? Makes no sense to me.

Why is the only decent place to get a good latte *three* blocks away?

Why are Hershey and Mars and Nestle and Cadbury allowed to claim they're in the chocolate business?

John

And why is it that every god damn device requires its own voltage. Let's see, I need +5v, +12V, +15v, -15v. I am fortunate to have some salvaged power supplies, but it is annoying to deal with so many wires and connection spoints because of it.

And why does coffee fail to relieve sleepiness.

Ignoramus13429

We have one product that has 9 internal supply voltages. A Spartan3 FPGA alone needs three or sometimes four. All the good chopamps nowaways run off +-2.5, so you need to add junkamps to boost their output levels up to usability. The parts keep getting smaller and the power supplies keep getting bigger.

Just apply more until it kicks in.

Speaking of whining, it's time for the marketing meeting!

John

You're the master of discrete design, needing no breadboarding or simulation... why don't you roll your own ?:-)

Who needs it besides you?

PNP/PMOS pass devices make for squirrely loop gain.

Why don't you buy a machine, they're relatively inexpensive?

Americans don't know any better.

...Jim Thompson

outrageous!

Maybe, if we added dining to whining, life would not be as bad.

Ignoramus13429

Hello John,

Cause in the Wild West folks roll their own. Just like they roll their own Bull Durhams and don't trust stuff that others are gitten in them thar stores :-)

They do, used one on a design a while ago. Was 5-pin SOT23 though but didn't use the "fluff pins".

Maybe to complement the stability of Windows. Think of ESR like you'd think about salt when cooking: No too much, but also not too little. And don't expect any hard data on what "too little" means ...

I don't use LDOs unless there is absolutely no other option. Usually there is.

Why is the only decent pub always more than 2 miles away?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Just use 2 or more spoons per cup - or use a desert spoon to put the granules in!

Reply to
ian field

[snip]

What don't you like about the MAX764?

...Jim Thompson

Right. Hershey's is fine except for the weird smell, goopy texture, and puke aftertaste. At least it's roughly the right colour.

My life improved significantly when the local supermarket started stocking Ritter Sport bars. Ritter Sport leaves even Toblerone in the dust.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And why do I feel a compulsion to eat them when I'm already overweight?

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

maybe that's why you are overweight.

Ignoramus13429

For that you need Pro Plus tablets. They work a treat !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

John, Have an Always 99 store near you? They have "baking chocolate" bars that are

70 percent cocoa, a dark chocolate that is excellent for just eating, and cheap! Puts that other crap to shame! The brand name is Lindt I believe.
Reply to
Brian

I personally like the "unsweetened baking chocolate". It is pure chocolate, no sugar crap. I was quite amazed to learn how much sugar is in "70% cocoa bars". (I am on a low carb diet)

Ignoramus13429

Lindt *baking chocolate* !!! ???

Lindt make about the best chocolate I've ever tasted.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The dark Ritters with hazlenuts are damned fine. Lundt, Drosit, and the Italian things (Perugia or something) are excellent, too. Here in SF, we have the superb Joseph Schmitt which, sadly, has been purchased by Hershey's.

I was walking around the new neighborhood and came across a weird, funky building on 12th street. There is a grungy doorway, a dark gloomy stairway, and a landing with a grey steel door. So I went in, and then there's a beautiful boutique-looking room, with a very elegant lady in charge, and exotic chocolate everywhere. And the room was packed with well-dressed addicts. Big framed posters of Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka (although Gene Wilder was a lot better.)

And the empty metal tins are great for storing small parts.

John

It runs in burp mode, and that adds lots of low-frequency ripple.

John

Yeah. We don't have an Always 99, but if you tell me where one is, I'll move there.

John

Aha! For the "efficiency". Isn't there a "rate mode"... i.e. variable frequency?

...Jim Thompson

I'd rather concentrate on the problem at hand, the laser driver, and not detour into switcher design. As things stand, I'll probably have to make everything pecl, with some silly level shifts, instead of proper ecl. I have about 4 usable square inches of pcb area for the whole product, and there's a lot to do. And no, I'm not going to breadboard or simulate any of it; at these speeds, it would take a full em sim to learn anything useful, so I'll just do it by instinct.

Nobody, obviously. Everybody must be happy with TO-92's. National does make a 317 in a bga!

National, in their c-load opamps, figured out how to make an opamp with a current-mode output stage stable with any capacitive load.

We have one. It's just too much hassle to make my own, to steam the milk, to clean up.

John