More Vista Woes

Ho hum. The last whizzo 1/10/08 Vista update did for my only Vista PC - a Toshiba portable. It totally destroyed itself beyond repair.

The update finished and upon reboot it generated a genuine BSOD sysnurdle error message screen which persisted for all of 200ms before the machine spontaneously switched itself off with a loud click (not enough time to read it and barely enough time even to recognise what it was). Blink and you would have missed it entirely.

After that nothing worked - the repair functions basic and advanced diagnostics could see the previous known good configurations but were unable to finalise them even given several hours trying. It got stuck in some kind of verification loop. The first serious attempt to boot after that failed whilst it was checking modules with about 3300/68990 displayed on the screen when it went click and switched off. Then it got even worse and stuck at 667/68990 but now it did not instantly switch off so it was possible to write down the error message for all the good that does:

!! 0xc0000034 !! 667/68990 (qwave.dll)

The display appeared to be refreshing this text at glacial speed.

Hardware testing with Vista not loaded shows nothing wrong.

I finally lost patience this morning and trashed the whole thing back into working with the master install disk. Thank heavens for backups.

Their lame slogan "Working just got more fun" really grated.

I wonder how long it will last this time...

Regards, Martin Brown

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Martin Brown

Don't use Vista! I've got a new quad core machine and used my old copy of XP. Why would *anyone* want Vista?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Oh! I agree. Unfortunately some of my customers insist on it :(

Many corporates I know are staying with XP.

I have absolutely no idea. I posted this as a cautionary tale. I suspect that there is some diabolical interaction between the Vista drivers and Toshiba portables far too clever for their own good power saving hardware features.

I use Vista on one sacrificial new machine for testing purpose only. Even with light use Vista dies with monotonous regularity (twice fatally in 6 months from new).

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Get a LiveCD Linux such as Puppy-4 and a USB external hard disk that is bigger than the disk in the machine. You can use "gparted" to make a bit for bit copy of the hard disk in the Vista machine.

When you have a bit for bit copy made, you and write it back in every time the Vista mungs its self. If you buy a really big disk, you can make copies of various situations of Vista. This way you can test with and without some of the service packs etc.

If you are making software that runs on a windows machine, you should have an extra step in the install. It is worth making a file such as install-conditions.txt that lists the DLLs etc that are installed at the time of install. This can help in trouble shooting.

Reply to
MooseFET

qWAVE is the "Quality Windows Audio/Video Experience" :-)

Maybe your graphics or sound driver of your laptop have bugs? My Vista installation works great: no crashes since I changed an old serial USB adapter by another model, which caused some blue screens.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Wasn't Vista supposed to cure the "blue screen on every trivial fault" problem?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

So Vista is not the problem.

All those manufactures that have made software for every other version of windoze have forgoten how to write and test software.

Glad you straighten this out.

donald

Reply to
donald

The kernel must have executed that HCF opcode (Halt and Catch Fire).

-- Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Have gnu, will travel.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Could have been worse. The EOI opcode (Execute Operator Immediate) is usually considered to be nastier.

I did once include an HCF instruction in a machine-level simulator I wrote (IBM 360 emulation - our school's Advanced Assembly Language class ended up using it in preference to the real 360/30 on campus). An HCF would cause the simulator to print a diagnostic ("It's now

11:17 AM, and time for the processor to explode.") and abend.
Dave Platt

For the most part, I try to turn off anything and everything that auto- updates. (Even those that ask my permission first.) Whether that be the operating system, or any programs that periodically surf the net for updates.

I may miss out on the latest and greatest, but I find my downtime to be SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. FWIW.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

There is no way that it wasn't something *you* did. Also, if it is "beyond repair", then send it to me.

Turn the memory setting back down,and any other tweaks you have in place. Windows' memory testing at boot is likely seeing reflections. Turn the BIOS system speed(s) down and work back up AFTER you are booted.

Or, you could put a Knoppix disc in, and burn off some archival data, and then re-format the entire drive and re-load the OS(es) of choice, and applications, etc. Broken beyond repair? I find that hard to believe. Baloney. Put a new drive in. Nicer, faster drives are everywhere now, dirt cheap.

I think you have problems with your systems, because *you* pull things as if you know what is going on (as in tweak), and when it breaks, you blame Bill. Ever think it could be you?

Reply to
HiggsField

"The Microsoft vacuum cleaner - the only MS product which does not suck" ....

Cheers,

Didi

Reply to
Didi

That reminds me, how is Skybuck's PC project coming?

The world is coming to an end ... SAVE YOUR BUFFERS!!!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That made me laugh out loud, Paul. Thanks.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Buy garbage, get garbage, expect garbage results like what you have.

Reply to
Robert Baer

"The Microsoft vacuum cleaner - the only MS product that does not suck"... :-)

Didi