More than I expected

Ordered some 1W amp from ebay. 400 MHz t o270 MHz..

Arrived today:

Some heatsink for 1W!!!

PCB looks neat, almost like the ones JOLA makes :-)

Interesting, 400 MHz should also work on 70 cm ham band..

And I have spare RF2126 chips.. Not tested yet...

But HAD to know why the big heatsink for 1W????

right, no thermal contact with the chip, is a dent the PCB layer... Chip mounted above hole in PCB... sigh

Will need some rework... hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I had the same problem with a 1 watt driver ceramic case device. I needed some additional heat sinking for the ceramic case device. So, I just drilled a hole in the PCB, inserted a brass rivet, filled it with solder, and flattened it in an arbor press. A bit of silicon grease on both sides of the rivet and it carried enough heat to the aluminum chassis to make it work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That amp is generic on ebay and Amazon. Lots of people sell them and specs are all over the place.

We're using these in a test fixture

and it works OK, but it really won't make 3.2 watts out.

I wanted to buy a boxed amp from RM Italy, but they seem to have some legal problem selling their wideband units in the USA. I've ordered a look-alike

This is to test our IQ modulator/eddy-current sensor simulator in production. We need a few watts into 50 ohms at around 15 MHz.

lunatic fringe electronics

On a sunny day (Sat, 13 Jul 2019 11:29:22 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes, but mine will run at 2.4 GHz 1 W out as driver for my 75 Watt Spectrian ATV sat uplink:

or stand-alone SSB sat uplink if it works....

Well I have a Ranger RCI-2970 150W PEP transceiver for those frequencies... Digital tuning. AM, FM, SSB.. Makes a great signal generator I suppose... 100 Hz tuning steps. Used it on CB too, worked large parts of the whole world with it. Do not remember what I payed for it, guy came to my house to deliver it, he had modified it for greater frequency range including CB.

Not sure I can tune mine that low, not below 27 MHz. There are a lot of linears on the market, yes Italy seems to be on the air a lot with horrible huge amounts of power :-) That was probably illegal, so he cannot ship, or even use it. Some run kW.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje