More inductor talk, Proximity effect, self capacitance

A fine gentleman did an experiment building two inductors. The coils were wound with 420/46 litz. Both inductors have 40 turns. One inductor is close wound (215uh 7.7pf distributed capacitance). The second has a 0.625/wire diameter space between wires, (187uh and 6.9 pf distributed capacitance). The inductor with spacing has a higher Q, except at the low end

where the Q's are equal.

The reason for spacing the wire is to reduce Proximity effect.

Here is the graph, each coil was tested twice (two lines each)

What would be the reason that the Q does not start out higher, but moves up with frequency?

Mikek

Re: the difference in inductance, both 40 turns. The inductance, 215uh vs 187uh = 86.9% The capacitance 7.7 vs 6.9 = 89.6% The capacitance of 40 turns did go down 10.3% with spacing. The inductance went down 13% with spacing. FWIW

Reply to
amdx

Probably because of the the AC resistance.... The real part of the impedance.

I don't see that figure displayed.

boB

Reply to
boB

Try the figure again, it works for me.

But note: the coils have near identical Q's and then the spaced coils Q rises quickly, why didn't it just start out higher as it should have less loss because of less proximity effect. That only shows up at higher frequencies, why?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

What was the SRF for each coil?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I don't have that info. I'll see if I can get it. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The fine gentleman, who does good work sent back the following.

"I don?t have measured SRF?s. Can?t be measured on a Q meter. But, you can calculate SRF?s from L (true value) and Co.

For these coils:

Closewound: L = 214.8 uH; Co = 7.7 pF; SRF = 3.91 MHz

Spaced: L = 187.2 uH; Co = 6.9 pF; SRF = 4.43 MHz."

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

A Q meter is not needed. A common reason for measuring SRF is to see the measured capacitive parameter values.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Assuming they were wound with equal lengths of wire (give or take a modest margin), and wound for the same inductances, then at low frequency, DCR is equal and inductance is equal.

At high frequencies, ACR rises for the close-spaced one, due to proximity effect, while the spaced one rises less.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

That's what I was kinda thinking... So then, the low and similar value of Q at low frequencies or near DC.

BTW, it was the resistance that I did not see listed... The figure came through fine of course.

This makes a lot of sense. Less proximity... less proximity effect.

boB

Reply to
boB

The fine gentleman must have calculated the capacitance. A program often used to calculate it is here.

The program uses The Least Squares Method.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Here's paper, The self-resonance and self-capacitance of solenoid coils:

It's mostly over my head, has some neat pictures showing nodes with a mercury tube. Pages 39, 41, and 98 discuss self cap. page 77 is on SRF and page 101, is a summary.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It's a shame it wasn't measured.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I always find some loss in the capacitor part of an LC. Lower frequency is bigger C, is the loss there?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's a good thought, I'm leaning against it though, I suspect my fine gentleman measured his inductors with either a Boonton

260A or an HP 4342A, both of these use very high Q* capacitors, so even if the cap had more loss at low frequencies, I don't think it would make that much difference in the Q curve.
  • ISTR reading the Boonton 260A tuning capacitor has a Q near 20,000. I recently saw some silver air variable caps with a Q of 15,000. Run of the mill air variables run from 1,000 on up.
Reply to
amdx

Any C (an actual C or parasitic C) across an L increases the Z and therefore increases the "effective" value of L. Since the R is unchanged, the Q of the effective increased L is increased also. This works up to the SRF, but of course not above SRF.

Reply to
makolber

Is this true at Resonance? My math is very weak, but I can't make that happen at resonance.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

This is why I love my old (refurbished) HP-4194A impedance analyzer !

It's great for these kinds of measurements and finding resonant frequencies, etc.

boB

Reply to
boB

Hear, hear!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I think I found some ideas here.

Where he says,

The Q factor of a unloaded LC circuit is determined by the following factors: series resistance in the circuit, parallel resistance across the circuit and magnetic losses.

The series resistance in the LC circuit, the lower the series resistance the higher the Q.

The total series resistance in the circuit (Rs) is the sum of:

The wire resistance of the coil, thicker wire or litzwire with much strands helps to reduce wire resistance.

The resistance of the capacitor plates, silvered plates gives the lowest resistance. Plates with oxide gives more resistance than clean plates.

Contact resistance between rotor and frame of the variable capacitor, preferable the variable capacitor has a spring connected to rotor and frame, this provides a low resistance. When the contact is made with a slidercontact at the rotor, this must be clean and free of oxide.

The parallel resistance across the LC circuit, the higher the parallel resistance, the higher the Q.

Parallel resistance across the circuit (Rp) is caused by dielectric losses.

There are: Dielectric losses in the coilformer Dielectric losses in the insulation of the coilwire Dielectric losses in the insulators of the tuning capacitor Dielectric losses in materials placed near the coil or tuning capacitor, look here for more information about this subject. If the capacitor plates are not clean: dielectric losses in the dirt and oxide on the capacitor plates.

Also there can be a leaking resistance in insulators, e.g. by moisture.

All these losses together makes a parallel resistance (Rp) across the LC circuit.

Magnetic losses This occurs when a magnetic material (iron) is placed near the coil. Non magnetic materials (plastic, wood, aluminium etc.) don't give magnetic losses.

Why is the Q factor not constant for all frequencies?

The series resistance Rs gives a reduction of Q. If we leave other losses out of consideration, the Q will have a value of:

Q= 2.pi.f.L / Rs

If the value of Rs is constant, the value of Q will increase with increasing frequency (f). A series resistance in the circuit will especially give a reduction of Q at lower frequencies.

On the other hand: if we only look at the losses caused by the parallel resistance Rp, the Q will have a value of:

Q=Rp / (2.pi.f.L)

Here we see, that at a constant value of Rp, the Q will decrease with increasing frequency (f). A parallel resistance across the circuit will especially give a reduction of Q at higher frequencies.

The value of Q will both depend on series and parallel resistance, it is possible that a LC circuit gives a increasing Q at increasing frequency (because of series resistance) and than Q will reduce (because of the parallel resistance). In this case we have a peak in Q somewhere in the frequency band.

Often the losses caused by the parallel resistance are the highest, and we only see a reduction of Q at higher frequencies in the medium wave band. Than there is also a peak in Q, but this occurs at a frequency lower than we use.

Reply to
amdx