Monkey Brains

We're moving into our newish building and there is no good internet access here without digging up sidewalks. So we signed up with MonkeyBrains. They put a dish on the roof, and luckily we are line-of-sight to one of their places.

370 mbps is some radical modulation and technology in a cheap microwave link.

We're paying for 50/50 mbits. We were getting 30/0.8 over a classic twisted pair from the phone company.

This is pretty cool. I specuate that in 10 years or so, *everything* will be wireless, 5G meshes or something.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
800 kbps upload for your entire shop? Yikes. I get 25/25 reliably, and it's just me and one hunchback.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Our older warehouse complex here in Burnaby, BC (Canada) was just wired up to fiber. We selecting 15/15, but could go to 300/300 for only a bit over double what we are paying...

Tinyurl:

Sale prices in Canadian $, which is around $0.73 on the USD right now. $100CAD = $73USD.

I'd say fiber has an advantage...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

MikroTik LHG 60G.

60 GHz WiFi, maxes out at 1Gbps fullduplex due to hardware interface, list price $300 for a pair. Works up to about 1500m (a mile).
Reply to
Rob

Until it rains really hard. That is when the wireless highspeed of a client goes down, completely.

Though I agree, wireless is the future and just about the only option to (re-) crack the old Missy Bell monopolies.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It doesn't rain much here! And the hop is only a few blocks, with a claimed 174 dB margin.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 1:34:08 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote: ...They put a dish on the roof, ...

You might want to have their installers come back and...

1) Ground that antenna mast 2) Swap out all those black plastic tie-wraps for something that will last longer than a year or two.
Reply to
mpm

mandag den 20. august 2018 kl. 19.34.08 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

the airwaves are a finite and shared resource, you can always lay more wires or fibers

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Looks like Microtik 60GHz but I'm not sure. That dish package is available on other frequencies. Also, nice looking installation. I'm jealous: High atmospheric oxygen attenuation at 60GHz:

5G yes, but probably not mesh. Store and forward wireless mesh networks don't work very well and don't scale well for large system. Here's my disorganized notes for a talk I gave on why mesh sucks: My guess(tm) is 5G on 28/39GHz will go to with small cells where you have fabulous performance near the small cell radio, and nothing as you move away from it. The rest is just installing small cell radios wherever possible. That leaves the problem with the backhaul, which will probably be a mix of wireless and fiber:

Best of luck in the new building.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Damn, I missed that.

I had an antenna install fall apart because I used the wrong ty wraps from the local hardware store. So, I switched to genuine UV resistant. No problems so far after about 5 years:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

We don't get lightning here.

Doesn't look like a big hazard.

lunatic fringe electronics

Limited-distance multi-GHz cells allow one fast link, fiber or microwave or whatever, to cover a lot of wireless devices in a modest area, like one city block maybe. That saves a heap of wire and fiber.

We only need one network to do everything: TV, internet, security, phones, iot, talk to cars, control street lights and traffic lights, read meters... everything. This current tangle of wires and fibers and transmitters and cell towers and meter readers is barbaric.

lunatic fringe electronics

Until everybody does it, and the spill-over from everybody else's links turns into an impossibly high noise level on your link.

Our WiFi from one end of the flat to the other works fine, until all our neighbours get busy. So my wife's computer is now linked to our router by data over the mains wiring.

But everybody using the same microwave frequencies in free space will be even more barbaric.

Cellular networks minimise the problem, but you don't seem to have that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Wireless runs out of total bandwidth - links interfere with each other. It's great for cases where it's hard to get a cable link of some sort - but it's only great as long as there are few people using them. And it can be affected by the weather.

Our fibre is 500/500 Mbps - regardless of weather, or other customers. If we want up to 10/10 Gbps, they need to blow a new fibre down the tube which is quickly and easily done.

Reply to
David Brown

Nice! We have that here on the Isle of Wight (small island off the south coast of England) Population ~140K. Only 150 MBps at the moment...

TTman

It's not that far off the south coast. When I was post-doc in Southampton, I played hockey there from time to time, and even took the hovercraft ferry over to the Isle of Wight when I missed the regular ferry.

It was a windy day, and got windier - the hovercraft flipped on the next trip.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

Small world eh ? We built fancy Laser Controllers for a spin off company formed by Soton Uni ex grads.... IOW is no match for Sydney :)

TTman

The Isle of Wight has its own charms. I grew up in Tasmania, which is rather larger - about the same size as Ireland - but only about three times the population (515,00 versus 140,500).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not when you make the cell size smaller and smaller. Of course, eventually you have to deal with connecting all those little transceivers but one can pick the locations to make that easiest versus having to trench up a busy street in a large bustling city. In America that would often be on the telco poles.

That sounds easy but only until you show up at city hall trying to get a permit for it. And the permission from law enforcement to block the street. And a deal with the local union guys. And a noise abatement exemption. And an (expensive) attorney to fend off eventual environmental impact complaints and business losses because people can't park in front of Chez Frou-Frou for the day.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

isn't there a limit to how small the cells can go?

Reply to
tabbypurr