Monitoring Electrical Impulses of Fish

Fish are in small tanks with electrodes above and below to measure electrical signals from the muscles of the fish. Anyone have any idea of the nature of the signals that would be picked up? The existing apparatus has separate, unshielded wires from the electrodes to an amplifier. I am surprised there are no shields. I would expect the signals to be not only low level, but the source impedance to be high. I'm wondering if that needs to be accommodated in some way in addition to the shielding like with a guard. The water is contiguous with a large body of water on the outside, so does it need consideration of high voltage transients like a phone line or cable ingress?

--

Rick
Reply to

The tank water is probably quite conductive with the fish pee and poo in it, so you have mixed blessing: there is a fair contact to the fish, but there is also quite a short around them. If you can, go to the tank and measure the resistance between the electrodes.

I'd guess that you cannot get more than some millivolts like a normal EKG, prerry surely less.

If you build an amplifier, prepare it for clumsy handling, including ESD.

--

-TV
Reply to

It's going to be a differential amp sharing a common Earth ground. The wires won't need any shielding as long as they're kept close to each other. High voltage seems unlikely other than people touching the wires.

The effective signal impedance on those plates might be less than 500 Ohms. Measuring the impedance of water is a tricky thing with all those moving ions and oxide layers to deal with.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.

What sort of sensors are you using? That's pretty critical. Maybe you could adapt the very hi-z ones typically found on EEC machines for picking up brainwaves?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, that is a given. Wires connected to a fish tank will get lots of rough handling. There is an existing design and the front end is no longer available. I haven't see details on the design yet. I figure the short path will be duplicating the design with newer parts. But I need to figure out the requirements before I can do that. Maybe I can even find an off the shelf replacement. So far I haven't found much at a reasonable price. The one unit is $600 and isn't isolated.

--

Rick
Reply to

The sensors are just plates in the water, one above and one below the fish. I don't have info on the requirements as yet. I should be able to get more info next week.

--

Rick
Reply to

Have you thought about using a large coil loop under the tank and capture the RF noise from the pulses ?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

I don't quite understand your question. (got a link?) Fish do have a lateral line down the sides of their bodies that is used to detect nearby motion.

But I don't think that is what you are asking about.

George H/

Reply to
George Herold

No, I'm not asking about the fish detecting voltage. I'm asking about the voltage emitted by the fish. Seems it is pretty low level and will need to be amplified a lot. I am asking if there are other things I need to worry about like a high source impedance which someone pointed out should not be the case because the signal source is shorted by the water resulting in a lower impedance.

A system design exists that was developed by a group and tested over a course of years. Now they wish to get it into production, but for some reason the amplifier board is no longer producible. So a new design is needed. I should have more info on the whole thing this week. I'm trying to understand why this is the only electronics in the system that was custom designed. So far the only unit I've found is a $600 single amplifier. It would be better if I could find a multi-channel unit. I see they say to contact them about that.

Rick
Reply to
rickman

Hmm those look like typical opamp type specs... shouldn't be too hard.

One thing with water is that DC is hard to do. Try to measure the DC resistance of water... Then do it with AC. (There may be some minimum frequency.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On 11/16/2015 12:32 PM, rickman wrote: ...

"Production" - you mean that there's a market (demand) for a system that measures the voltage emitted by fish?? It must be a pretty limited market.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Fishermen will pay good money if you tell them where to put their bait. $600 is a lot, but given the specs a good quad or two dual opamps might work. Is there any other reason to know where the fish are?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Check your electrode millivolts with no fish. Depending on electrode metal, there might be significant artifact caused by surface chemistry, especially low-freq 1/f noise.

EEG/EKG employs low noise electrodes, silver with AgCl. If you're not already using such things, you might want to experiment. I've seen large cheap electrode pads available, also silver coated carbon fiber, etc. is discussed in med magazines.

My only actual experience is from grade-school days, filing down old Canadian nickel coins for DIY ekg and gsr skin electrodes.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

The water is going to be a low-z signal source. It should will short out any high-z e-fields or capacitive coupling, unless you're running big transmitters or large CRT displays right near your signal leads.

Just keep the wires close together, twisted pair would be good. Keep away from power transformers, or fluorescent lighting ballasts, which could induce voltage in the tiny loop-area between your pair of connecting wires.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

It might be prudent to control the water pH with a suitable buffer. Some easy-to-find materials (pencil lead?) are suitable for prolonged contact with dirty water, won't react... much.

Reply to
whit3rd