Monitoring Driver Distraction

Because it is so cheap to get around San Diego County on a Senior transit p ass ($18 for 30 days and parking is free at the transit station 3 miles awa y) I have been riding a lot of buses lately. To make constructive use of t he time, I have been closely observing how the drivers work their controls. That has led me to believe that one could design a device that would moni tor their movements and detect when they are distracted from their task by subtle change in their behaviors.

My idea, loosely sketched, is that the system could detect distraction with in 2 seconds (over 150 feet of travel at 60 MPH) and make some signal like a chirp or chime at a level just above ambient sound level, gradually incre asing in volume, that would cease when the system determines that the drive r has returned his attention to the road.

Now I am looking up current patents similar in nature.

Reply to
Richard Henry

I believe that is a well known effect. I recall they can detect "micro-movements" of the steering wheel to detect if you are sleepy or drunk. I think something similar has been done with the eyes, not sure if it is eye movements or where you are looking for how long.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Old news. Car makers have been pursuing this for at least a decade.

From 2007:

If you can't find several dozen more hits in as many minutes, you're not trying hard enough!

Reply to
Don Y

Survey article from a few years ago --

From Saab --

A lot of the methods discussed involve cameras and software observing and analyzing the drivers eye and head movements.

The warnings given include alarm chimes, spoken words, text messages in driver's display, vibrating the seat, and tightening the seat belt.

Reply to
Richard Henry

PERCLOS = percentage of eyelid closure time

Richard Henry

From what I have observed, the steering wheel movements are not "micro". Even on a straight stretch of freeway, the driver is regularly moving the wheel a couple of inches right and left (measured at the rim) to stay in a single lane.

Reply to
Richard Henry

The usual method is to monitor the eyes. If the eyes get locked on one spot, shake the wheel.

Reply to
krw

What do your observations have to do with their research and results?

--

Rick C
Reply to