Modular widgets

I have a potential client who is interested in having some thingies made. Basically a specific type of data logger, but for lots of data (which is why I asking about the SD card RAID module).

In thinking about the design I realized it would be pretty straightforward to assemble it out of prefab modules - say a $5 single board computer, storage of some type, lipo battery, ebay special boost converter, charger module, etc. all available off the shelf already assembled on PCBs.

What's a good way to do modular assembly such that it dosent come out looking like this?

I don't really want to poke a ton of holes in the case to secure the parts. Maybe put them on some kind of riser and then mount the riser on a a couple standoffs and bolt that to the enclosure?

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

How about a PC board to support things and interconnect and carry the i/o connectors and LEDs and stuff?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

So like just make a simple PCB with slots for say, those breakaway header pins, and route the interconnects on that and solder in the prefab modules on the headers?

Yeah I think that could work

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

Don't forget chewing gum. Chewing gum helps hold things together better. (snert)

Reply to
Kevin Glover

That's a really silly suggestion. The real pros use Velcro.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Or duct tape ...

--

-TV
Reply to

I would think seriously about a small simple board to hold just the parts needed for the specific data reading and collection part, then go bluetooth data to an Android tablet or phone, and do all the storage and fancy display ( if any ) in that. The tablet device already has Computer, Storage, battery backup, charger, etc, which is about 95% of your requirements. Extra storage you can get by sending the bulk data Wifi to cloud storage or a PC/Hard disc.

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

First, get a big-enough box. Then, put a chassis inside. Every subsystem (batteries, CPU, mass storage, display) mounts to the chassis, and the box supports the chassis and a few I/O connectors, and maybe a window.

Just remember: no loose parts, it ALL connects to the chassis.

'lots of data' can mean big storage, or a WiFi port to the cloud; it might be easier to get a reliable net connection than a reliable SD solution.

Reply to
whit3rd

Velcro lets you fix your mistakes. Duct tape is forever.

--

Rick
Reply to

Conductive velcro would have interesting possibilities, for ESD or especially if it was striped conduction like zebra polymers.